Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

Brandon Wright

I may not be fast, but I'm wide!
Some people have claimed that ADAC '14 has been updated too, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this from S3S and they're not listed in the change log so I go on the assumption that they haven't been updated.

I finally got to have a proper go with the new cars on my newly fixed T300 and they're quite an improvement. They feel much more planted and much less wayward (not sure how much of this is due to improved physics or to my fixed wheel). They still lack feedback from the road surface, but IIRC this is because S3S chose not to model this kind of feedback from the track. After faffing about in R3E I had a go in AC with the Alfa GTA at the Nords and my wheel was constantly giving feedback from every little bump and pebble and groove in the road surface, it was a rather stark difference from what R3E offers in this area. Not saying one is better than the other, but I do tend to prefer how AC gives all this extra feedback, makes you feel connected to the road.

I get some feedback Brandon, not as much as other sims. To be honest, the forums are full of ffb this and that and I'm becoming weary of it all. I don't think it's about what is real anymore, it's just what people like when they're driving. I'm going through all my sims at the moment and they're all different but If you were to say which is the more real then I wouldn't be able to give you an answer apart from which was more enjoyable. Driving a car in real life is nothing like sim racing so it becomes all about the immersion/experience. What do you reckon

Brandon Wright

RoadFeel was added a while back, they where releasing it on a track by track basis, not sure if they've come around to update all tracks with it yet.
If you have no road feel, try upping Vertical Force, that makes a huge difference to me.

There's some small feel, but not very much. I know increasing the Vert helps with this, but I also find if you have too much Vert it increases the centering affect, so it's a bit of a compromise. I only tinkered for a little while last night, I think I ended up with Vert around 175 and Lat around 125, I'm not settled on those, that's just where I stopped tinkering to go play with AC. I think the only tracks I drove on were Spa and RR Raceway (test drove the DTM '15 cars a couple times). I would presume Spa should be updated with their RoadFeel since it's the newest one?

I get some feedback Brandon, not as much as other sims. To be honest, the forums are full of ffb this and that and I'm becoming weary of it all. I don't think it's about what is real anymore, it's just what people like when they're driving. I'm going through all my sims at the moment and they're all different but If you were to say which is the more real then I wouldn't be able to give you an answer apart from which was more enjoyable. Driving a car in real life is nothing like sim racing so it becomes all about the immersion/experience. What do you reckon

I get some feeling, just not very much and it's usually just big bumps. But driving in AC at the Nords it felt like the missus left her magic wand massager on my wheel base because the wheel was constantly buzzing and shaking and jolting over almost every inch of tarmac. Not a big deal, but I've always thought this issue was a contributor to the floaty feeling some of us got because it makes you feel a bit disconnected. Sure, in a real car you probably would feel all this stuff through the seat of the pants and not from the actual wheel, but the wheel is all I have to relay this feedback to me so I kinda like it to transmit some of those seat of the pants feelings (until I can afford a SimVibe setup anyway).

I agree with most of your other points, none of the sims feel 1:1 to driving a real car and everyone has a different opinion of what FFB should feel like. But all of them still do a pretty good job of letting you think you're driving a real car, some just do it better than others. After the physics update, and despite the lack of road feel compared to other sims, I tend to think R3E does the best job of making you feel like you're inside of, and controlling, a 1ton wild beast.

Brandon Wright

Uhm, actually I think the ADAC '13 and '14 cars are updated. All of them have very different values in the setup and handle differently.

There has been no indication from S3S (that I've seen) that the ADAC cars have had their physics updated, the change log only says DTM '15, M1 Procar, GTR3, and a couple of the free cars. However, I believe all cars did have their base setups changed which accounts for the different values in the setups and different handling. It could be that ADAC has had their physics updated, but I won't believe/claim that until I see some confirmation from S3S.

because the wheel was constantly buzzing and shaking and jolting over almost every inch of tarmac.

But driving in AC at the Nords it felt like the missus left her magic wand massager on my wheel base because the wheel was constantly buzzing and shaking and jolting over almost every inch of tarmac.
Which incidently is one of the feelings I try to get rid of in sims 0o
rF2 for instance felt a lot like you describe with the default FFB settings, I could not drive it cos the wheel was vibrating like I a massive magic wand in my hand, just lead to fatigue and made feeling weight transfer and loss of grip harder.

Brandon Wright

Which incidently is one of the feelings I try to get rid of in sims 0o
rF2 for instance felt a lot like you describe with the default FFB settings, I could not drive it cos the wheel was vibrating like I a massive magic wand in my hand, just lead to fatigue and made feeling weight transfer and loss of grip harder.

I'm kind of the opposite, I like those additional feelings as it increases my immersion. I like them to be low so they don't interfere with the rest of the FFB, but I guess after decades of console racing it just feels a bit weird to me without those vibrations. However, I'm slowly unlearning my bad console habits/expectations so perhaps I will eventually change my opinion on this. Or I'll somehow manage to afford a SimVibe and won't need those feelings through my wheel. ;)

By chance, do you know which tracks in R3E have been updated with the RoadFeel?

Woot! 1,000th post! :whistling:

Brandon Wright

Spent some time tinkering with the FFB last night and got things feeling pretty damn good. I'm not sure how much is due to my now properly working wheel or to the update, but R3E is far more enjoyable now than it was before and the FFB actually feels really good with almost no sign of the floatiness I've always experienced. I had a go in the Silhouette and Aquila and both are brilliant and felt fantastic to drive, top notch stuff. Then I tried a couple ADAC '14 cars to get practiced up for this weekend's race and even those felt fantastic (some confusion on whether these have updated physics or not, but they felt great). At least with these cars, R3E finally feels like I've always wanted it to feel and I'm over the moon about it.

I forgot to jot down my settings, but off the top of my head this is what I came up with. I'm sure there will still be a few more tweaks, and it might be a tad on the heavy side, but these felt pretty damn good on my T300. (It seems the big key for me is having the lateral load higher than the vertical load, this gives a progressive increase in weight the more the wheel turns)

FFB Intensity: 65%
Smoothing: 0%
Damper, Spring and Friction: 0%
Steering Force Intensity: 115%
Understeer: 30%
Vertical Load: 125%
Lateral Load: 150%
Steering Rack: 0%
All canned vibrations and shift effects: 0%

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150