Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

Well, I recently embarked on the adventure that is R3E. When I first tried the free content I was in awe of the visuals and sounds, but the "feel" of the car just wasn't right. Very floaty, no feedback from the tires. I've read through all 24 pages of this thread to see what others have gone through and experimented with and eventually I got a FFB setup that felt much closer to what I want/expect. It's still not perfect, but it's good enough I can enjoy it. I found that the Understeer setting made the biggest difference in getting the feel I wanted, a setting of 35-50 seems ideal (depending on the car) and I also turned a little engine vibration on to simulate the feedback I'm not getting from the road surface. My FFB strength is 68-70 (depending on the car), FFB effects at 135, Vertical force at 200, Lateral Force at 115, engine vibration at 35. I also adjusted the parameter in the text file as many recommended, that seemed to make some improvement.

This game is schizophrenic though, some cars feel great to drive and some have the floaty feeling no matter what settings I use. I got the DTM 2014 for a good deal (bought 2013 on the black friday sale and then upgraded to 2014, around $25 total which is less than 2014 by itself) and the cars feel pretty good, but still a bit floaty. Still fun though, good enough to enjoy.

I also bought the Daytona Prototype along with Mid-Ohio and Indy and that car on those tracks feels great, almost exactly how I want/expect it to feel. So I decided to do some competitions to test out some other cars. Tried the ADAC BMW Z4 and it had a pretty pronounced floaty feeling, which was disappointing considering most people say those cars feel great. Then I tried the BMW from the WTCC pack and that car felt almost perfect! If all the cars in the game felt like the WTCC BMW I'd buy all the content without hesitation. I've read that some cars/tracks have updated physics so I'm presuming that's what I'm encountering here, but I'm not sure if it's the car or track that's making the things feel correct. Hopefully the updated physics feel like that BMW WTCC car, if so then there are good things in the future for this Sim.

But at the end of the day the online multiplayer for these titles is pretty much non-existent from what I've read and that's going to prevent me from investing much more time or money into the game. That's a shame because of the Sims I'm playing right now I keep getting drawn back to this one when I just want a fun AI battle. But at least I can have some fun races at my two home tracks (Indy and Mid-Ohio, I live between the two of them and have been to both multiple times) whenever I get the urge.

TL:DR With effort the FFB can be made to feel quite good on certain cars/tracks, but the lack of a robust online multiplayer system will prevent me from investing much time/money into it for now.

its an rcs file ; you can open it with a text editor , but easiest is if you dont know what to do or where to put it /change it ;is to leave it alone / it becomes harder when tweaking that way ;)

if you manage to find your rcs file for your wheel ill tweak it across byut you need to link your rcs file here for me to do that ...

rcs files are here ish ...C:\Users\YOU\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet

Andi

Oh, ok. I did get into my .rcs file and changed the front/rear steer force grip coefficient to 3 based on suggestions I read here but I didn't fiddle with anything else. I notice in the file that Jyri linked to the steer force grip coefficients are still 1?

I'm at work so I don't have access to my .rcs at the moment but I can send it this evening. Or should I just load the linked rcs into my Control Set folder and give it a go?

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I just checked the Competitions to see which ones were using the updated tracks. The ADAC Competition uses an updated track and it felt floaty. The WTCC Competition uses a non-updated track and it felt great. So it must be the cars and not the tracks creating the floaty feeling. I'm properly confused now, no idea where to go with this game.

One question: I love the BMW WTCC car, if I were to just buy that car and do a race would it populate the grid with all the other WTCC cars or would I need to purchase them? If I can just buy the BMW but still have proper WTCC races I could certainly get a few bucks worth of enjoyment out of that.

Last edited:
You can run WTCC with full grid with only 1 owned car...I got the Cruise and think its great. The WTCC cars feel amazing.Try the Competition at Hungaroring for a test. Awesome. Online of course, you can only use your owned cars.

You can run WTCC with full grid with only 1 owned car...I got the Cruise and think its great. The WTCC cars feel amazing.Try the Competition at Hungaroring for a test. Awesome. Online of course, you can only use your owned cars.
I did know you could play online with owned cars, but didn't know you could race vs ai with same thing.

I mean, I thought buying all grid was needed.

I did the competition with the WTCC BMW and loved it, probably the best feeling car I've tried so far (to me, anyway). So if I just buy the BMW will the grid be full of BMW's or of all the various WTCC cars? I'm going to "test drive" the FF cars, if they feel good too I'll probably just buy the whole pack. Or maybe not, knowing that the online multiplayer isn't very useable right now is probably going to prevent me from spending much more on this game. I'm probably buying GSCE this weekend and I'm presuming I'll forget all about R3E once I do. I tried the GSCE demo and the FFB in that game is pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a Sim and it seems to have a thriving online community.

I probably will too to some extent, the sounds and visuals in R3E are addicting and with the handful of cars that actually feel good it can be quite fun racing the AI. But until they get the physics/ffb fully sorted and a proper online experience it's going to be overshadowed by other sims (for me, anyway).

My FFB is fine on the G25, even on the default settings now. It's a tad strong at 100 in game, so I usually drop it nearer to 80 so it doesn't clip too much.

The physics are working quite well too. I know what the car is doing and it seems most of my problems with them in the early days were down to the FFB issues.

We do need the dedicated servers though...

.. and Minis. We desperately need Minis.

I'm wondering if a few bugs floated into the FFB in the recent patches. For instance yesterday I alt-tabbed out of R3E and back in and suddenly had very strong FFB (as if the FFB strength slider had just been reset to 100% instead of the 50% I was running with the T300). I went into options and changed the slider and it reset itself.

I am also having some frustratingly uneven FFB experiences. e.g. I was driving the Mercedes DTM 2014 and some of the time I was getting a lovely feeling of the car driving over a track surface and feeling alive, but then sometimes I just got centering spring and it felt like I was driving a hovercraft. And these two senstations could even happen during the course of a single lap!

Yes, I tried dropping FFB down lower and lower in case it was clipping (no clipping meter = frustrating) but that just gave me a weaker feeling hovercraft.

I agree with the above - went on last night and thought the FFB was appaling. Very vague and no feel around the centre, floaty, car swaying all over the place. Made it quite difficult to drive and certainly not enjoyable.

I'm going to delete my wheel profiles and start again to see if that helps but as it stands I'm unsatisfied with the FFB in R3E. Having various parameters to adjust only makes things more complicated than it should be.

I agree with the above - went on last night and thought the FFB was appaling. Very vague and no feel around the centre, floaty, car swaying all over the place. Made it quite difficult to drive and certainly not enjoyable.

I'm going to delete my wheel profiles and start again to see if that helps but as it stands I'm unsatisfied with the FFB in R3E. Having various parameters to adjust only makes things more complicated than it should be.
I'm glad it's not just me. I believe the FFB in this game is broken, at least for DFGT users like me. However, I've expressed my reasons for this elsewhere. What I'd like to add is the strange way that users with the same wheel can have totally different settings from one another. For example, Msportdan resorted to using positive FFB and 120% centering to try and stop the swaying effect, whereas I have to use the default games controllers settings ( dampers/springs on and set to 100%) because I find the complete lack of FFB in a stationary car unnerving, and because it just generally feels better to me. Not right, just better. What seems even more strange is that this doesn't seem to affect everyone.
My suggestion is that anyone who feels the FFB isn't right sends a bug report to S3, explaining their experience. To be honest, I'm not sure if S3 take much notice of bug reports, but it's worth a try, and if enough of us do so, maybe they'll listen.
RR3 has the potential to be one of the best driving sims made, but problems like this are irritating to say the least.

I haven't touched the FFB settings since the update - feels the same to me. I love the feel of R3E.

Must be something specific to certain hardware - my guess Logitech related, but then again I have nothing to base that on other than I see a lot of similar postings on the various forums for various games (newer games). I'm sure the Logitech wheels feel great once dialed-in but their Windows software "seems" flaky. Just my $.02

Edit, there was this in the build notes: "- Improved code flow for initializing controllers and handling ffb restarts." Have to wonder if this is related to "some" wheel user's experience.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back