Resource icon

Misc True to Life AI 2013 Season 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
<trTrackCurveOfflineRatio float="0.6" /> (Thanks to Demy and Luke Weston for helping with this one. This controls how much of the track the AI uses outside of the predefined racing line. The problem, however, is that this parameter controls both outside and inside the racing line. So, setting this higher will allow the AI to cut corners more if the need arises (if they're avoiding someone for example), but it also causes them to run wide on corners much more frequently, resulting in loss of speed. It's best not to change this by much, if at all.)

Umm.. Like I've said on my Guide on 2011, I did change that to 1.0 for my AI mod for 2011 and it felt really good. Could be different for this game, but I don't think it will make any problems.

<trTrackCurveOfflineRatio float="0.6" /> (Thanks to Demy and Luke Weston for helping with this one. This controls how much of the track the AI uses outside of the predefined racing line. The problem, however, is that this parameter controls both outside and inside the racing line. So, setting this higher will allow the AI to cut corners more if the need arises (if they're avoiding someone for example), but it also causes them to run wide on corners much more frequently, resulting in loss of speed. It's best not to change this by much, if at all.)

Umm.. Like I've said on my Guide on 2011, I did change that to 1.0 for my AI mod for 2011 and it felt really good. Could be different for this game, but I don't think it will make any problems.

I think it must've changed... I had it set to 0.98 and the cars were running wide consistently. I set it back to 0.6 and the cars don't run wide anymore.

The vanilla game.
Try installing the competitive braking mod and see if that helps with how fast you are.

I just did a 25% race at Brazil (using the default car setup) and it was a very competitive race.
I'll make some slight adjustments to grip levels though as I found I was able to reel them in quickly when I put together a good lap or 3 in a row.

I mean i did not try the revised car cause i think it's perfect only with the braking mod, they are a little bit faster. (also have realism mod when i tried)

I think it change the physics of your car (& ai too) for less understeer. Also change the gear ratio and the DRS effect, but as i did not try, i can't confirm !

I think it change the physics of your car (& ai too) for less understeer. Also change the gear ratio and the DRS effect, but as i did not try, i can't confirm !

The revised car performance was done by Johnny Dangerously. What he did was to adjust the aerodynamics, gearing, and grip levels for the AI and Player. With this mod the AI and player drive with the exact same car.
However, changing the aero and grip levels did cause the cars to have an "unbalanced" feel according to many (I agree myself).

So I spoke with Johnny and he graciously allowed me to edit and repost his CTF files from his mod.
The aero and gearing will remain the same as this produces much closer to real life top speeds (Johnny did an amazing job with this). I will be adjusting grip levels (for the Player and AI) on all tracks individually so as to keep the AI quick and competitive, but also provide a good level of competition when compared to the Player's CTF files.

As of 1:30am last night I've made adjustments to the following tracks with good results:
Hockenheim
Montreal
Brazil

This was done using the default car setup and racing on Legend difficulty, with a track_difficulty level for these tracks (all all other tracks to be tested) as a "1". The Player's grip levels get adjusted to the point where, with the default setup, I just can't quite keep up with the AI. This will (I'm hoping) force the Player to put more effort into setting up their car to find the extra speed.
As of right now I'm not sure I can correct the 1/1 wing, 1/11 spring "hack" that seems to be floating around, as correcting this would mean lowering front grip levels for the Player so much that it would probably lead to issues with balance. As well, not everyone uses the 1/1, 1/11 setup, so this is why I have to use the default setup during testing...it gives me a "default" starting point to work with.

So once these CTF files are done, everyone's competition should be much closer :D

Watching quite a few onboard videos I don't think the grip is far away from looking like real life. Where the main issues with car performance for me is:

- Top Speed; the game is about 40-50KPH slower than real life almost everywhere
- Accelration; the game is too slow by a fair bit
- Braking; not strong enough. The hairpin at China is a case in point. You have to brake at about 130 yard marker, I watched a video of Alonso on board and he was braking about 75 yards from the hairpin in real life.
- DRS; provides far too much advantage

All the above based on standard performance not Johnnys mod.

Watching quite a few onboard videos I don't think the grip is far away from looking like real life. Where the main issues with car performance for me is:

- Braking; not strong enough. The hairpin at China is a case in point. You have to brake at about 130 yard marker, I watched a video of Alonso on board and he was braking about 75 yards from the hairpin in real life.

All the above based on standard performance not Johnnys mod

Oh really ? I mean for me the top speed is only 10/20 kh slower than real life without DRS (always set my gear without drs for the race, with default setup, it's 30kh)
I also brake very late for the hairpin in China;
But i agree with the DRS, too much advantage for the ai, not for me because of my setup with the gear !

The revised car performance was done by Johnny Dangerously. What he did was to adjust the aerodynamics, gearing, and grip levels for the AI and Player. With this mod the AI and player drive with the exact same car.
However, changing the aero and grip levels did cause the cars to have an "unbalanced" feel according to many (I agree myself).

So I spoke with Johnny and he graciously allowed me to edit and repost his CTF files from his mod.
The aero and gearing will remain the same as this produces much closer to real life top speeds (Johnny did an amazing job with this). I will be adjusting grip levels (for the Player and AI) on all tracks individually so as to keep the AI quick and competitive, but also provide a good level of competition when compared to the Player's CTF files.

As of 1:30am last night I've made adjustments to the following tracks with good results:
Hockenheim
Montreal
Brazil

This was done using the default car setup and racing on Legend difficulty, with a track_difficulty level for these tracks (all all other tracks to be tested) as a "1". The Player's grip levels get adjusted to the point where, with the default setup, I just can't quite keep up with the AI. This will (I'm hoping) force the Player to put more effort into setting up their car to find the extra speed.
As of right now I'm not sure I can correct the 1/1 wing, 1/11 spring "hack" that seems to be floating around, as correcting this would mean lowering front grip levels for the Player so much that it would probably lead to issues with balance. As well, not everyone uses the 1/1, 1/11 setup, so this is why I have to use the default setup during testing...it gives me a "default" starting point to work with.

So once these CTF files are done, everyone's competition should be much closer :D

Any ideas when you'll have it sorted? Your AI files are great.

• Deleted member 137812

Those high value gives some problem, for example in Melbourne they spin in the fast S-curve in sector 3. I think 0.6 is the right value, maybe a little bit higher.

All the above based on standard performance not Johnnys mod.
Agree on Breaking the Drivers used to break much later than we players used to
I don't think Acceleration is not there we have too much Downforce in the game and with Less wings also we can get Loads of Speed.With More Downforce we will lack More Straight Line Speed.
Top speed i don't think it was slow but in some tracks we just don't have perfect Final Drives

• Deleted member 137812

Agree on Breaking the Drivers used to break much later than we players used to
I don't think Acceleration is not there we have too much Downforce in the game and with Less wings also we can get Loads of Speed.With More Downforce we will lack More Straight Line Speed.
Top speed i don't think it was slow but in some tracks we just don't have perfect Final Drives
By the time people here got this game improved to real life there will be a 2013 game from CM and we have to start all over. Work is never done with CM hanging around. :(

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.