Resource icon

Misc True to Life AI 2013 Season 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
Any ideas when you'll have it sorted? Your AI files are great.

This is going to be interesting frankly. I should have the CTF files done by tomorrow I'm hoping, if not by Sunday.
What will be interesting is to see the feedback people give when they try them out, since it seems everyone has slightly different opinions about how poor the performance is compared to real life lol

Luke Weston
I believe Johnny's mod corrected the top speed values. He made a nice graph and everything to illustrate it. But in doing so he unbalanced the car making it more difficult to drive (no offense to him of course). So what I'm attempting to do here is take Johnny's top speed/aero/gear settings (which I think are pretty close to real life) and combine them with slightly higher grip levels to correct the unbalanced feel.

Acceleration I believe can be controlled via CTF files - I'll put this on the to-do list. I know Johnny adjusted only the final gear ratio to adjust the top speed, but I don't believe he adjusted any other gear ratios (namely gears 1-4 for increased acceleration).
The braking strength I believe a few people have made attempts to fix via CTF files, however I don't think that encompasses the whole picture. Let's say you modified the brake strength to be realistic for both the Player and AI...the AI will (I'm assuming) still brake at the same brake zone, unless hill does a whole new version of his competitive braking mod. Again, this is simply speculation, but based on the fact that we know braking zones are handled via a coordinate system, I think it's safe to say that adjusting braking performance is a large task unfortunately. I'm completely open to ideas on this however :)
DRS strength - this is based on a number of aero parameters in the CTF files. I'm not sure how to make sense of the values for aero as of yet...will probably speak with Johnny about those.
For right now I gave the AI what I think is an equally large DRS bonus by adjusting the ai_handling_config.xml file (see the overview page). The problem still remains though of where the AI uses KERS - I believe this is a coordinate system issue...

snthennumbers

Are the Ai files in your mod finished or will you still update them? And if yes, what are your future plans?

Great work so far :thumbsup:

AI files will continue to be updated going forward. Currently finalizing a fix where the AI slows down too much at the apex of the turn when blocking. I'm always playing with the AI files to correct issues I run into :)

Future plans:
I'm still working on the major issue of the AI backing out whenever something doesn't go exactly as they want, so to speak. This is tricky because you're trying to balance the aggression of the AI, while still keeping them sane enough to not go slamming into people. My main issue is that if the AI car is behind you even by an inch, they'll back out before the braking zone, rather than (at least some times) actually having a stab at it and making an overtake attempt. This is proving very difficult to fix unfortunately...

snthennumbers updated True to Life AI with a new update entry:

CTF Files & AI improvements

Version 1.4 release notes - major release:
Database changes - none. Woohoo!

AI changes - corrected an issue where the AI would slow down unnecessarily at the apex of a turn when blocking. This was handled with the <brFollowSpeedBrake parameter (see overview page for details).
Other minor AI adjustments to further reduce rear-ending.

CTF Files - Make sure you backup your "cars" folder first
Using Johnny Dangerously's CTF files which he graciously allowed me to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi snthennumbers this mod is looking awesome, I am about to try it for the first time.
Do i just copy the "tracks" folder from the safety car mod into your mod and then am I good to go?

Hi Chris
That is correct, just the tracks folder from the SC mod.
Check the other recommended mods in the overview for the most realistic feel for 2013.

Remember to only install my database if you have Mr. Pibb's 2013 mod installed.

Hi
I want to ask you. It's realy boring to start season with teams like Marusia or Williams, so I changed yours database ,,f1teams" by swaping Marusia and Sauber ID.But then, Al craches very often, so they go to pits about 4 times in 50% distance! Vetel average starts at 6th position and Maldonado always are in top 5. So this **** is happenig because of ID change or I did sth wrong?
P.S Thanks for your answer ;)

• Deleted member 137812

Guys what is the difference in the cars folder between "balance" and "track" files?

Hey man great mod as usual.
Just one question, the 50% races are working on your mod?, if it so, the AI drivers should be doing 1 or 2 pitstops?.

I'll go in order of posts...

Saras: Switching Team ID's will lead to issues since there are numerous references to team ID's all over the database, so it would be a daunting task to essentially flip-flop a team. The Database in v1.4 has the "driver_rank_required_points" table altered, so you become a rank 50 driver basically right away. I haven't gotten to go through the whole season 1 career yet, but this change should make it so all teams are available after the first season.
As for Vettel and Maldo...are you doing "race only" events? If so, the game attaches an odd "weight" to the drivers in race only events. I believe this is to cause more "dramatic" races since there's some slower people up front, and faster people behind. I have seen what you see in race only events, however when i do qualifying (short or full), the faster drivers are almost always right around where they should be. After the Chinese grand prix I'm hoping I can dial in the driver's performance a bit more.

Demy: yes Balanced is for AI, track is for player

manos426f: version 1.4 includes an altered version of the Revised Car Performance mod. See the overview page for exactly what was done.

monkiman: there is no scaled tire wear in my mod yet. I'm still deciding how i want to do this - by either just lowering the distance you can go on the tires (like we see in 2013), or doing actual scaled tire wear like Demy did. I'm seeing doing the scaled tire wear leads to issues with people getting confused about which database to install, etc...so I'm hesitant to go that route. Most likely I will be changing the distance you can go on a set of tires, and adjusting the AI so they recognize this and pit more frequently.

monkiman: there is no scaled tire wear in my mod yet. I'm still deciding how i want to do this - by either just lowering the distance you can go on the tires (like we see in 2013), or doing actual scaled tire wear like Demy did. I'm seeing doing the scaled tire wear leads to issues with people getting confused about which database to install, etc...so I'm hesitant to go that route. Most likely I will be changing the distance you can go on a set of tires, and adjusting the AI so they recognize this and pit more frequently.

Ok, thanks.

Thanks for this great mod! I like it so much.

Did a quick race in Malaysia and it was the best race I've ever had (finished 7th in a Sauber and Button just 0.4 sec behind). The AI overtakes and defends much better than in other AI mods.

I use it with Competitive Braking and Legend Extreme AI (otherwise the AI is just a bit too slow ;))

Thanks for this great mod! I like it so much.

Did a quick race in Malaysia and it was the best race I've ever had (finished 7th in a Sauber and Button just 0.4 sec behind). The AI overtakes and defends much better than in other AI mods.

I use it with Competitive Braking and Legend Extreme AI (otherwise the AI is just a bit too slow ;))

Just looked at the Legend Extreme AI mod and my CTF files are basically the same. AI has grip levels of front: 1.1 and rear 1.2 in Legend Extreme. In mine the AI has 1.05 and 1.15, but along with adjusted aerodynamics (thanks to Johnny Dangerously).

The only reason I would recommend using my CTF files is because I've corrected the issues where the Player is notably faster than the AI at specific tracks (see the overview page for details). But hey if you're happy, I'm happy

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Friday

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • Saturday

Votes: 61 57.0%