The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I have talked to drivers that competed on the circuit (Rex White and others) who indicate that there was not a "flat or straight" section on the entire track. The "front stretch" has been repaved and is used as drive thru for the park. That is the road across center of this photo. A section of the track has been removed that would have connected to section of track in photo. Race cars would have gone left to right in these photos and this was the highest section of the track heading into turn one.

Attachments

• 16252037_282731725475661_4102661399976221385_o.jpg
    16252037_282731725475661_4102661399976221385_o.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 16252037_282731725475661_4102661399976221385_o.jpg
    16252037_282731725475661_4102661399976221385_o.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 287
Percentages would be little more believable as 30% would translate to ~17 degree banking. But I'm not qualified to read those images. (I see only coordinates :p)

In either case this really isn't the thread to be discussing this. We should see if we can move the Augusta thread you made in the bobs track builder forum over to this AC modding forum.

No I am not.....................great point. Here is the plat, can you help out?
A civil engineer from the US would be helpful. ;)

I can follow nearly all values from the list to interpret the the base 2D layout, only for the value D i didn't found any formula, but is seems to be some sort of deflection angle and a sort of subdivion of the curve, so possibly no banking information.

sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_design_of_roads#Alignment
220px-Horizontal_Curve.JPG

11.htm18.gif

(http://keywordsuggest.org/gallery/48862.html)

A civil engineer from the US would be helpful. ;)

I can follow nearly all values from the list to interpret the the base 2D layout, only for the value D i didn't found any formula, but is seems to be some sort of deflection angle and a sort of subdivion of the curve, so possibly no banking information.

sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_design_of_roads#Alignment
220px-Horizontal_Curve.JPG

11.htm18.gif

(http://keywordsuggest.org/gallery/48862.html)
Thanks.........................folks may have changed the way things are done the last 50 years or so.

Cool thread guys, remember it from the AC forums but somehow never checked it here.

Here's some WIP from my side...

I actually started an E30 cuz I thought your project was dead :). Good seeing you at it! If you get done before me and are in need of some authentic and era specific bling I'll gladly share my rims which I'm working on at the moment...

As you can see it's mounted on a pre facelift E30 using a 5-lug customized braking system offered by a german E30 Guru. He designed a system for space sensitive BMW and Alpina rims of the late 80s and early 90s with minimal increase in suspension track width using only BMW parts mostly from E31, E34, E32. This is a E32 8.5x17 ALPINA wheel originally used on the B11 3.5 and B12 5.0.

Also one of my almost lifelong dreams of putting BBS RC090 8x17 wheels on my E30 had me build this wheel. The rate my RL projects are going at I'll have it in AC on an E30 before I put them on my actual car :). Upside is I have that wheel sitting in my apt so I can take good ref shots.

Tires for these rims on an E30 should be sth like 215/40/17 upfront and 215/35 or 30/17 in the rear. If you go above 215 on an 8 or 8.5in rim with such a low profile tire you'll get the baloon look pretty quickly.

235 is the actual size BMW chose and recommended so yeah but you gotta keep in mind they were fitted to E39, E38 and E31s so 5', 7' and 8' series with much larger wheel houses. In order to fit it on an E30 and to have it look good as in large rim and regular low profile tire you have to reduce the width. I've seen 225 but that already had a baloon look. It also depends on tire brand some have a more straight sidewall (Michelin comes to mind) while some round off either to the inside or outside a lot (Toyo, etc.).

The trick in RL is to catch that balance between too wide (baloon look) or too narrow which leads to a ruined driving experience (visuals only tuners with extremely low profile tires with widths usually less than the rim itself).

Like here this is a 235/45/17 regular size tire for say a 540i E39 on an E30, check the back - see the baloon? Never mind the guy probably used E36 parts or some other 'non E30 solution' to get the 5 lug conversion hence the very wide track in the rear. That usually screws up suspension geometry too, not fun when braking at 120mph :)

IMG_2816

Whereas this guy use M3 E30 parts, fitted them on this US spec pre facelift E30 and put the wheels on with 215 tires with a lower profile like 30 or 35 I'm guessing:

DSC_0773

This is like one of 4 people in the world who put this rim onto the car with such perfection, looks great, drives great, no need to manipulate any body parts or wheel wells except maybe some steering angle limiters.

Last edited:
235 is the actual size BMW chose and recommended so yeah but you gotta keep in mind they were fitted to E39, E38 and E31s so 5', 7' and 8' series with much larger wheel houses. In order to fit it on an E30 and to have it look good as in large rim and regular low profile tire you have to reduce the width. I've seen 225 but that already had a baloon look. It also depends on tire brand some have a more straight sidewall (Michelin comes to mind) while some round off either to the inside or outside a lot (Toyo, etc.).

The trick in RL is to catch that balance between too wide (baloon look) or too narrow which leads to a ruined driving experience (visuals only tuners with extremely low profile tires with widths usually less than the rim itself).

Hehe, I like the balloon look on my E34 :D I also love the small diameter rims (15 inch) with large profile sidewalls :roflmao: (225 on 7" width rims).

Hehe, I like the balloon look on my E34 :D I also love the small diameter rims (15 inch) with large profile sidewalls :roflmao: (225 on 7" width rims).

I catch your drift as far as your E34 goes, the regular size looks just perfect. As for tirewidth exceeding wheel width I don't know. Theres some point in time in car design history where that stopped working for me you know. Old cars like 60s and 70s yeah man all the way. But when you enter the 80s and 90s especially with such a minimal and clean wedge design as the E30, E34 etc. the super baloon look just isn't working for me.

But hey whatever floats your boat man. Baloon that thing, twice!:)

I catch your drift as far as your E34 goes, the regular size looks just perfect. As for tirewidth exceeding wheel width I don't know. Theres some point in time in car design history where that stopped working for me you know. Old cars like 60s and 70s yeah man all the way. But when you enter the 80s and 90s especially with such a minimal and clean wedge design as the E30, E34 etc. the super baloon look just isn't working for me.

But hey whatever floats your boat man. Baloon that thing, twice!:)

I just like it because it just looks comfortable. And in a ~190bhp car, that's all I want it to me, comfy :D Plus I love the hilarious amount of roll it has, quite unsettling having it lurch around when doing sillly skids in poor traction.

Nowadays even bog standard BMWs/Audi's have huge diameter wheels with next to no sidewall, looks horrible. Where's the separation between sporty models and standard cars these days? I see no appeal of a boggo 4-cylinder diesel that can't even offer some decent comfort levels, they all are stiff as boards.

Anyway off topic :p

I run 235/45/17 on my WRX, on 8" rims, and they're not balloony whatsoever. 215s would look stretched as hell, which for me is a far worse look. Speaking of, I need to get those wheels back on the car. Winter's over...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies

Votes: 0 0.0%