Tracks Augusta International Raceway

I have an actual survey plat for this road circuit that operated in Augusta, Georgia in the 1960's. Both NASCAR and the United States Road Racing Championship (USRRC)
imgres
series used the facility. If you have an interest in "building" this track let me know. Also, have additional information about the track facilities to improve overall quality of this new build. The track was a high banked, 21 turn, 3 mile long circuit. Thanks.

Already been talking to Henry on Facebook. He is how I found the track on the RIR facebook page.

You may have missed it Emery but I already have a layout working in AC from the lidar data.

Thanks. Our non-profit has its annual meeting in September. It would be supper if we could pull this together for that gathering. Would that be a possibility? I have tons of info on this eight track racing complex that operated between 1960 and 1980. It had drag strip, 1/2 mile oval, kart track, micro-midget track, motorcycle scramble track, 3 mile road circuit completed and they had started a 2 mile tri oval and lakes for hydro-plane racing.

I can't guarantee a finished track by then but I can probably have something that is presentable. There weren't many trackside objects then anyway so it shouldn't take that long but I have a few projects in line to finish first.

HistoricMustang said:
No I am not.....................great point. Here is the plat, can you help out?
A civil engineer from the US would be helpful. ;)

I can follow nearly all values from the list to interpret the the base 2D layout, only for the value D i didn't found any formula, but is seems to be some sort of deflection angle and a sort of subdivion of the curve, so possibly no banking information.

sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_design_of_roads#Alignment
220px-Horizontal_Curve.JPG

11.htm18.gif

(http://keywordsuggest.org/gallery/48862.html)

I'm not overly concerned about values on data from the 60s as my experience with Bridgehampton has shown me the older the data the less accurate it often is. The Lidar is pretty clear and really only two sections are missing. The area between the current entrance road and T1 and the one section around T4 has been repaved and doesn't seamlessly join into T5 anymore. The rest is pretty clear.

Here is a shot going into T1. You can see the highlighted point on the spline has a tilt of 9.8*. Notice I leave the existing road banking before I bridge over to the old track. This is because it appears they regraded that section as the current road starts to turn left so they leveled it out.
augustaT1.JPG

Here is an overview shot of the base layout on the data.
Augustalidar.JPG

Last edited:
That is very accurate. :)

Here is a video, modern day, which ends in the section your are describing. This video begins in the lower left section of a diagram of the track. The front straight of the track, modern day, was basically repaved using the 1960's road bed up until the section you are describing. Thanks for all that you are doing to bring this one back.

The surroundings of the track (inside and out) had very few trees as seen in this photo of Carroll Shelby and his King Cobra's on pit lane........and others pics.

17022482_1759014614358343_5001725982987844775_n.jpg

Attachments

• 107648965.jpg
    107648965.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 379
  • BirminghamSpecialBobWard.jpg
    BirminghamSpecialBobWard.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 441
  • DaveMacDonaldKenMilesAugusta.jpg
    DaveMacDonaldKenMilesAugusta.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 341
That make sense.

Glenn "Fireball" Roberts was involved in the track layout and as the story goes, he and the developers got into a jeep with a bottle of Jack Daniels and some poles........they would drive a bit, take a sip and put a pole in the ground.....then repeated the process for 3.2 miles. Folks say that explains why there are not many "straight sections" on the circuit. It might also explain why "Fireball" won the first event at the circuit. I have a very high quality aerial (23 megs) of the entire complex from 1963 when we get to that point. It even shows the golf course that was under construction and the lakes that would be connected and used for hydro-plane racing.
Augusta 510 post on 11 17 15 (9).jpg
But, it is too large to load here on the forum. Thanks for your help.

That make sense.

Glenn "Fireball" Roberts was involved in the track layout and as the story goes, he and the developers got into a jeep with a bottle of Jack Daniels and some poles........they would drive a bit, take a sip and put a pole in the ground.....then repeated the process for 3.2 miles. Folks say that explains why there are not many "straight sections" on the circuit. It might also explain why "Fireball" won the first event at the circuit. I have a very high quality aerial (23 megs) of the entire complex from 1963 when we get to that point. It even shows the golf course that was under construction and the lakes that would be connected and used for hydro-plane racing.
View attachment 191450 But, it is too large to load here on the forum. Thanks for your help.
This one? It is shrunk to fit here but I have the full size one.
64Aerialsmall.jpg

It is different than this one, but this one is pretty good as it shows just how void of foliage the complex was.....just to the right of the pit lane at the top was the garage.....which was state of the art for its time. Just "north" of the pit lane was the grandstand area and just behind the grandstands were the restrooms and concession stands. The golf course can be seen in your photo. The wooden guard rails began at the end of the lake area at bottom of photo and extended to pit entrance. The downhill section is on the left and the uphill section is on the right. Highest point of the circuit is upper left and lowest section is in the lake area mid photo. It was a very sandy area and the drivers complained of the track being slippery due to sand.

Side Note: I grew up two miles from the tracks (8) as they were being constructed.

Thanks for all that you are doing.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 88 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 334 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing