The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Fat-Alfie

Premium
After 2 days modelling and texture work I have finally finished the first grandstand :) After living with plain grey placeholders on this track since I started it last July, it looks weird to have some colour in it now :O_o:
Screenshot_ks_porsche_917_k_deutschlandring_18-2-117-9-18-32.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_917_k_deutschlandring_18-2-117-9-15-45.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_917_k_deutschlandring_18-2-117-9-16-23.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_917_k_deutschlandring_18-2-117-9-16-8.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_917_k_deutschlandring_18-2-117-9-17-46.jpg

FtCE4BD.jpg

Stuff here & there, main noticeable thing is ao+texture (hewland name plate) on the gearbox. Gave the engine cover a bunch of polish so I'm about 2/3 ready to actually make skins. White circle that actually lines up with itself courtesy of fooling around with Blender's texture paint (it's good for drawing circles, not so good for actual work since the paintbrush size is in insane units)

Last edited:
After 2 days modelling and texture work I have finally finished the first grandstand :) After living with plain grey placeholders on this track since I started it last July, it looks weird to have some colour in it now :O_o:

If this is like anything like Thomson Road then this will be incredible. Keep up the great work mate

@Fat-Alfie
And a better translation for marshal would be Streckenposten, like Streckenposten Nr. 1, etc.
The Marschall was a high rank in the militatry and it is highly unlikey that such a text was on those booths.
Do you have information that those booths existed at that time at the Deutschlandring? The Nürburgring didn't have similar booths for track marshals in the same time period.

Hi Guy,s
Been working on this since before xmas ,
Full representation of a world famous pit garage ,
Fully detailed and textured , with pitlane and carpark
Still WIP ,
To do ,
Finish doors v3 front and rear ,
Finish carpark to rear ,
Update custom PP filters to V2.3 ,
Update floor textures and reflections ,
Update Skyline HDRI to 8k ,

And Fix Shadow split settings inside , showroom_start

Current status 230k Tri .

2vd2vsh.png

2ljqkrd.png

2ue0a5h.png

kxjyx.png

k159na.png

Fat-Alfie

Premium
@Fat-AlfieDo you have information that those booths existed at that time at the Deutschlandring? The Nürburgring didn't have similar booths for track marshals in the same time period.

I have virtually no information regarding track side objects, unfortunately :( The road was completed but the circuit was still unfinished before WW2 started. This is all I have found:
DR-Karte_mT1.jpg

Hardly great source material to work from :O_o:
Untitled-51.jpg

Whilst searching the internet for photos of other vintage circuits, so I could get a feel for the architecture of the time, and how things were laid out back then, I came across some photos of Reims Gueux. The Start/Finish straight seemed almost identical to how I imagined the D-Ring would have been, with a very wide straight, pits on one side, grandstands opposite. I even have some descriptions of how the D-Ring architects planned to have a tunnel under the track for access from one side to the other, negating the need for a bridge (same as Reims Gueux).

As I knew I would never find photos of non-existent pits and grandstands, I used Reims Gueux for inspiration, and have based my buildings on that track instead.
control-tower.jpg

DSC9427.jpg

FtCE4BD.jpg

Stuff here & there, main noticeable thing is ao+texture (hewland name plate) on the gearbox. Gave the engine cover a bunch of polish so I'm about 2/3 ready to actually make skins. White circle that actually lines up with itself courtesy of fooling around with Blender's texture paint (it's good for drawing circles, not so good for actual work since the paintbrush size is in insane units)
Hi Man ))
Really nice work ,
Have you tried baking the tires this way ,
After loads n loads of different ways and techniques ,
I find this way gives me perfect results , specially with open cockpit cars ,
Spec maps are insane after a little photoshop work ))

I basically create a cylinder and place the tires inside them,
Try 1-2 small res bakes to check the shadows , 256x256 ect ,
Then just bake my high res tex ,

Gives beautiful results ))
upload_2017-2-20_17-5-39.png

upload_2017-2-20_17-9-39.png

upload_2017-2-20_17-12-42.png

Baked AO
upload_2017-2-20_17-14-59.png

Hi Guy,s
Still WIP ,
To do ,
Finish carpark to rear ,

2vd2vsh.png

2ljqkrd.png

2ue0a5h.png

kxjyx.png

k159na.png
Nice one! :inlove: Welcome back mate :thumbsup:

Reactions: CC
vlkVsZu.jpg

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy... More unwrapping things that are cumulatively noticeable but hard to spot individually. (today: some brake calipers & springs) Oh, you can also see that I added a badge on the nose at some point.

Did not intend to slide it less than an inch from the barrier but somehow it worked out. T1 of the Highlands is so slippery that it's just asking to throw it in.

Not yet, but if we give @aphidgod enough grief he might start one :D

Got some pit boxes baked and wrapped :)

Screenshot_mercedes_w125_deutschlandring_13-2-117-16-58-0.jpg

Screenshot_jaguar_xj13_deutschlandring_13-2-117-16-50-24.jpg
Added a bit more texture work. The track is starting to feel more alive, as the grey placeholders get replaced with some colour :)
Screenshot_mercedes_w125_deutschlandring_15-2-117-8-47-12.jpg

Screenshot_mercedes_w125_deutschlandring_15-2-117-8-46-35.jpg

Looks amazing already. =]

Hi Guy,s
Still WIP ,
To do ,
Finish carpark to rear ,

That's something I always felt was missing in AC, a really detailed showroom with better lights for nicer reflections to make good screenshots in. Silverstone pit garages are a nice choice. Shame I barely ever use the official showroom feature to actually look at cars, Content Manager spoiled me a bit. :p

Looks amazing already. =]

That's something I always felt was missing in AC, a really detailed showroom with better lights for nicer reflections to make good screenshots in. Silverstone pit garages are a nice choice. Shame I barely ever use the official showroom feature to actually look at cars, Content Manager spoiled me a bit. :p
:D
My thoughts exactly man ))
There is really nothing at all ingame that shouts to me quality regarding showrooms ,
Cars are top class , tracks are top class , a few really nice showrooms , scratch made would be awesome ,
Specially something with nice lighting ,

I would love to create all the F1 track pit garages ,
This one was finished but found some really nice data regarding the doors and some misc parts ect ,
I created them back at xmas , then updated them , they was really nice with full animation , so all opened and closed ,
But after a lot of research found some quality data so decided to simply update them to v3.0 final build ,
These will still offer animation so hopeful AC2 will offer more features regarding this aspect ))

In this current garage there is 112 lights .
n66ukm.png

29f7di1.png

2iuay48.png

j5z7o9.png

2h5uwes.png

wwjibr.png

2898xo4.png

2q3ufpc.png

As you can see what we have built already is really solid ,
Firstly had the doors closed ,
Then decided to open the doors with animation , which was quite a bit of work ,
After I saw how nice it was with the doors open ,
Decided to build the pitlane , then carpark at the rear , In which looked really nice , but obviously with all this amount of work , started thinking about the atmosphere , So now its dark outside and light inside , Which was a total nightmare to setup ,
Inside it as full sunlight , this generates nicer lighting and reflections , so created a concrete glass roof to hide the sun ,
Outside created a dome to give shadow from the sun ,

Only issue I have now is the shadow split settings , regarding draw calls from the shadow with generates the shade from the sun , at 0 ,
It is totally amazing , but outside theres no shadow ,
Its complicated to explain fully ,

Option A , Contact Kunos , and try and get the code changed ,
Option B Close all the doors .......

If you intend to keep it dark outside (which gives a nice atmosphere), you could just bake on some shadows :)

Looks great!
Hi ))
That route would not be for me , I am hiding the sun on a scale of 76,000SQM :D
The way I have it its perfect ,
Its just the floor shadow around the car that just does not look correct ))

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 95 18.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 138 26.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 87 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 51 9.9%
  • €3001-5000