The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Took a short break from The Glen and check out a new possible project. RD member @Hotdogxx60 messaged me a while back and said I might be interested in an old track called Greenwood Roadway. It didn't live long as an active track from 63-66 but it still remains today. So I took a look a sure enough there was Lidar data for it. Yesterday I took a few hours and put together the basic layout to determine if I want to pursue the project. I took tonight to learn the layout and man what a blast. Really nice mix of high speed and technical sections. Here is one of my better laps in the T70.

Oh HELL yes. I've heard nothing but great things about the circuit, despite its short life. This would be a blast.

For what it's worth, I'd prefer the 60s version of it, but I'd certainly be very happy with the proposed revival plan instead if you so choose.

This shows a bit of original scenery

The white building/grandstand
869b6da1472d230e78088189d12ad6bc.jpg

http://www.iowabritishcarclub.com/event-photos/
http://thechicaneblog.com/2011/02/09/lost-track-greenwood-roadway/
http://www.chuckbrandt.com/greenwood.htm

Last edited:
Took a short break from The Glen and check out a new possible project. RD member @Hotdogxx60 messaged me a while back and said I might be interested in an old track called Greenwood Roadway. It didn't live long as an active track from 63-66 but it still remains today. So I took a look a sure enough there was Lidar data for it. Yesterday I took a few hours and put together the basic layout to determine if I want to pursue the project. I took tonight to learn the layout and man what a blast. Really nice mix of high speed and technical sections. Here is one of my better laps in the T70.

This is great news.
Your works are top notch in quality, looking forward for the Glen and this one.
Thanks!

Yesterday I took a few hours and put together the basic layout to determine if I want to pursue the project. I took tonight to learn the layout and man what a blast. Really nice mix of high speed and technical sections.

Historic, please. Stock cars and USSRC both visited the track. Only reason it didn't remain an active track was lack of spectators due to being somewhere way out in the cornfields, so the major series didn't return. I kind of shudder to think how modern safety upgrades would destroy the character of the track.

Historic, please. Stock cars and USSRC both visited the track. Only reason it didn't remain an active track was lack of spectators due to being somewhere way out in the cornfields, so the major series didn't return. I kind of shudder to think how modern safety upgrades would destroy the character of the track.
Stock cars also tore up the surface. I found a facebook group and they are going to try and get some of the original conceptual drawings of the clubhouse that was planned but never finished.

WIP.. my first skin so learning as I go. Corvette C7.R livery from Daytona (testing) 2018....

Using the orininal KS skin as a template for basic colouring and locations, I've had it in photoshop in 3D and reworked the skin to be 4K, adding all the appropriate new logos and the US flag at the side intakes. Still got the logos to put on the 'hood' and the rear, and driver names/flags to add to the roof.
Doytona 18 skin from the testing almost done. Just the Corvette Racing 20 years logo to go on the back and the driver names/flags on the roof.

Should be finished tomorrow hopefully!

Yeah, even though the model is quite terrible at this moment, but as the shape is getting more precise it starts to look really nice, in terms of shape :D

I have spoted quite a few things to improve, as I have done lots of renders from different angles and different optical camera settings.

Working on front was slightly easier, because it is a bit similar to XJ13, still had to fight a bit. Now rear end has to catch up.

I would also like to do a non-lowdrag version, it is just as nice, if not nicer.

Those detail photos are becoming super valuable in the later stages :)

Another point is that I need to be aware of slight differences between different etypes, they are all slightly different, some are more different. Also there are some recreations, which can do the trick very well.

But I'm not aiming for specific chassis.

Doytona 18 skin from the testing almost done. Just the Corvette Racing 20 years logo to go on the back and the driver names/flags on the roof.
Should be finished tomorrow hopefully!
Yep it's done... helps to check the reference photos, as the number and the GTLM stickers had swapped position on the back of the car since Kunos made the car ;) Today I realised I missed a few things off the 'hood' - US flag, number plaque and IMSA logo so they've all been added, along with finishing the rear and the driver names on the roof.

I've only painted the body textures, so all of the stickers on the glass and spoiler are the Kunos ones, as they're in a different file. I'll do a version for the no. 4 car, which just needs numbers/driver names changing and then I'll release it - hopefully tomorrow.

I took the car for a blast around Daytona and it's a lot of fun. It's even better when the underwhelming default sounds are replaced with the fonsecker ones!

A bit bored. Not at home so can't use photoshop in 3D, so just messing about with the pen tool creating some shapes on the 2D skin. You can get the idea ;) ...

If I go ahead and work on this it definitely will not be done before this weekend's race lol

Those detail photos are becoming super valuable in the later stages :)

Another point is that I need to be aware of slight differences between different etypes, they are all slightly different, some are more different. Also there are some recreations, which can do the trick very well.

But I'm not aiming for specific chassis.
OMG I can't wait! If you do focus on a specific chassis you cant go wrong with EC1001, plenty of pics of it at Goodwood. I hope this gets some quality physics and sounds to match. The 250 GTO is getting a friend to play with :D :D If you dont release with a Cut 7 livery I'm definitely making one!

Last edited:
Awesome :)
I'll take a closer look at that chassis, so far it look like something I am doing. Lowdrag without long nose. I haven't thought about physics or sound yet. I wonder, @aphidgod , how much of your D-type and XJ13 knowledge you could apply to E-Type ? :) Sound is mystery, would be awesome to have scratch made sound. There are two things about model which I dislike, and possibly won't do - animations and liveries. So you are safe @Andy-R :D I'll try to make good UV map. I wouldn't expect this very soon, as I have just too much started by now... And not totaly finished. I believe I will be finishing/continuing my mods if there will be AC successor and it will be moddable, and not super complex rocket sience.

But I think AC should have Dtype and Etype mods by some time. When ? I don't know. I am also stuck on W125 car mod, mostly because got into tracks modding, and I am afraid of suspension animations. W125 is modeled rather far though. Not counting in fine tiny details, UV maps, and textures, and animations of suspension... damn... :D

Ok... my mind drifted a bit. Back to subject.... Tweaked model a bit, added some placeholder reference objects, also for that matter shrinkwraped black stripes for easy searching of panel gaps and seams, those stripes also helps a lot to judge the shape.... And then done a couple thousand renders. Basically I'am happy with the shape now, there are a couple suspicious angles/field of view combinations though...

Mq1AF0c.jpg

a0sln4o.jpg

BtG25TV.jpg

There are all 4000 renders I did today:
https://imgur.com/a/QrXat

Last edited:
I'll take a closer look at that chassis, so far it look like something I am doing. Lowdrag without long nose. I haven't thought about physics or sound yet. I wonder how much of your D-type and XJ13 knowledge you could apply to E-Type ? :) Sound is mystery, would be awesome to have scratch made sound. There are two things about model which I dislike, and possibly won't do - animations and liveries. So you are safe @Andy-R :D I'll try to make good UV map. I wouldn't expect this very soon, as I have just too much started by now... And not totaly finished. I believe I will be finishing/continuing my mods if there will be AC successor and it will be moddable, and not super complex rocket sience.

But I think AC should have Dtype and Etype mods by some time. When ? I don't know. I am also stuck on W125 car mod, mostly because got into tracks modding, and I am afraid of suspension animations. W125 is modeled rather far though. Not counting in fine tiny details, UV maps, and textures, and animations of suspension... damn... :D

Ok... my mind drifted a bit. Back to subject.... Tweaked model a bit, added some placeholder reference objects, also for that matter shrinkwraped black stripes for easy searching of panel gaps and seams, those stripes also helps a lot to judge the shape.... And then done a couple thousand renders. Basically I'am happy with the shape now, there are a couple suspicious angles/field of view combinations though...

Mq1AF0c.jpg

a0sln4o.jpg

BtG25TV.jpg

You seem to have merged me and aphidgod :D If help is needed with the E-Type I'm more than willing though. That said, research, testing and skinning is pretty much all I can do... We need this car in AC!

Some info on Protheroe's Jag's:
https://drive-my.com/en/retro-carss...eroe-s-jaguar-e-types-cut-7-and-8-racers.html

Many thanks for all your previous works.
The car you're looking for is the Lindner Nocker unique light weigh low drag coupe.
There has been only a unique ever built and almost destroyed E type of this model ever built. It has, now, be fully restored to its original glory.
Just Google this name and you will find all required informations about it.
I am, of course, looking forward to drive it in AC.

Attachments

• Clip_9.jpg
    Clip_9.jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 224
Many thanks for all your previous works.
The car you're looking for is the Lindner Nocker unique light weigh low drag coupe.
There has been only a unique ever built and almost destroyed E type of this model ever built. It has, now, be fully restored to its original glory.
Just Google this name and you will find all required informations about it.
I am, of course, looking forward to drive it in AC.
(From a bit of net surfing) By only unique you mean the factory car right? Looks like they were late to the party in 64. What's wrong with privateer cars?.. Protheroe's looks much nicer without those second headlights and it was the first made test bed car that Jaguar sold to Protheroe. Either would be a very welcome addition IMO.
http://www.myitshere.co.uk/DProtheroe/e_cut7/ec1001.htm

Low Drag Coupé (1962)
Shortly after the introduction of the E-Type, Jaguar management wanted to investigate the possibility of building a car more in the spirit of the D-Type racer from which elements of the E-Type's styling and design were derived. One car was built to test the concept designed as a coupé. Unlike the steel production E-Types, the LDC used lightweight aluminium. Malcolm Sayer retained the original tub with lighter outer panels riveted and glued to it. The front steel sub frame remained intact, the windshield was given a more pronounced slope, and the rear hatch was welded shut. Rear brake cooling ducts appeared next to the rear windows, and the interior trim was discarded, with only insulation around the transmission tunnel. With the exception of the windscreen, all cockpit glass was perspex. A tuned version of Jaguar's 3.8-litre engine with a wide-angle cylinder head design tested on the D-Type racers was used.

The only test bed car was completed in summer of 1962 but was sold a year later to Jaguar racing driver Dick Protheroe. Since then it has passed through the hands of several collectors on both sides of the Atlantic and is now believed to reside in the private collection of the current Viscount Cowdray.

Peter Lindner, the Jaguar distributor in Germany, had his Lightweight modified by the factory to include the Sayer low drag roof and rear panels as part of an effort to win the GT class at LeMans. Lindner's car was more than a match for the Ferrari 250 GTO but mechanical problems forced it out of the race. Lindner was later killed in a racing accident that demolished his car, which has recently been restored.

Jaguar waited too long before committing to a racing program in earnest and what could have been a world champion in 1962 was not competitive by 1965.

Last edited:
I'll take a closer look at that chassis, so far it look like something I am doing. Lowdrag without long nose. I haven't thought about physics or sound yet. I wonder, @aphidgod , how much of your D-type and XJ13 knowledge you could apply to E-Type ? :) Sound is mystery, would be awesome to have scratch made sound. There are two things about model which I dislike, and possibly won't do - animations and liveries. So you are safe @Andy-R :D I'll try to make good UV map. I wouldn't expect this very soon, as I have just too much started by now... And not totaly finished. I believe I will be finishing/continuing my mods if there will be AC successor and it will be moddable, and not super complex rocket sience.

Mq1AF0c.jpg

a0sln4o.jpg

BtG25TV.jpg

are you using somekind of subsurface modifier ? mesh seems woobling in some areas speacially in the windows area

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.