Cars The Need For Speed

Let's keep the laughter to a minimum, but I've never done anything 3D with Photoshop, nor have I done any real skinning besides changing the color of a car with a solid color. In that scenario, I just saved a 2D .dds file - easy peasy.

Now I'm looking at a 3D model which I assume you can directly paint, it's just in 3D space. Let's say I wanted to make a color we don't already have...British Green, just for example. Once I figure out how to paint the entire object British Green with a single logo, what do I do to save the file so I can use it in my new British Green skin folder? When @hal4000 mentioned "template", I thought he was referring to a 2D mapping like:
8t9tMzt.jpg

Well, I've only just switched to PS from Gimp couple of days ago (no going back there), so I'm learning here. But the 3D template gives you basically both options in one template. You'll see the 3D model and you can switch to the 2D map if you want. What happens in one place, gets written to the other. Layers all work the same way, and exporting the file is just a question of flattening the layers in the 2D and exporting it like always. It is extremely useful for applying large decals that go over different parts of the 2D map. Saves you many hours of trial and error. Also it's great for identifying parts that are scattered all over the 2D map, like the Diablo here and the 512. Took me like 3 hours just to paint the front bumper white hahaha because of all the parts. For exporting what you do is (in PS) go to "layer" "flatten image", then go to "file" and "save as". Choose the format ( dds) and compression and done.
But if you wanted to paint just one colour it is much easier to just use "metal detail".
Open that in PS or any paint program , recolour and save. That is if you just want to have one colour and no logos.

Couple of screenshots of dirty windscreen on the otherwise gorgeous Testarossa, it is especiallly jarring in VR. I feel like climbing out and giving it a once over with my sleeve :) (click to enlarge)
Screenshot_a3dr_ferrari_512tr_ks_highlands_7-9-1.jpg

Screenshot_a3dr_ferrari_512tr_ks_highlands_7-9-1.jpg

Yes is basically the same workflow as 2D except you have a 3D model to move around and paint, apply decals or any other shape on top of it like a vinyl or sticker.

On the UV layout, that's a different subject. Traditional way goes for symmetry and everything lined up. Easy for 2D, but there's the drawback that it leaves a lot of black holes into the texture (unused space), and doesn't takes full advantage of the pixel density it can offer.
I'd rather take as much space as I can to benefit resolution over symmetry. The drawback? it takes a 3D template to make almost anything other than changing a color. On the good side, you'll get better pixel density advantage and higher resolution as all the parts take as much space as possible, leaving very little unused.

Look at the Sera GT, this took me about 20 min to make from the AO map, using the 3D layer in photoshop to make masks and make all those shapes.

Screenshot_a3dr_toyota_sera_gt_toscana_0.31_18-8-117-9-37-9.jpg

If I wanted to do this in 2D.... mission impossible:

GT_widebody.jpg

It's just an incredibly useful tool for repainting. I wish we could have these for all the (future at least) cars in the game. Now only thing I'm missing for the Diablo is this here, hint hint...
HTB1K7ohIXXXXXc3XFXXq6xXFXXXc.jpg

Doesn't even have to work IMHO, but it would totally transform the car into a "real" popo car. And also nice for F1 Safety Cars. ( orange version)
Or maybe this is more appropiate, low drag, high speed.
_75119095_italypolicelambo_210710_afp.jpg

And what a beatiful colours these are.

Yes is basically the same workflow as 2D except you have a 3D model to move around and paint, apply decals or any other shape on top of it like a vinyl or sticker.
Do you know if there is a similar GIMP plugin, or just how this technique is called in general so that I have a place to start searching from?

LOL will clean it up on the next update :ninja:

I often wondered if there wasn't a way to implement working wipers. In GT5 or 6 they had this button assigned to the wipers which would simply clean that area of the windscreen. That'd be epic if there was a switch for that (switch as in DOF/animation slot). The dirty windscreen is one of the most immersive gimmicks of AC but sometimes as he mentioned at sundown you just can't see **** :). Not related to your 512 just saying.

I often wondered if there wasn't a way to implement working wipers. In GT5 or 6 they had this button assigned to the wipers which would simply clean that area of the windscreen. That'd be epic if there was a switch for that (switch as in DOF/animation slot). The dirty windscreen is one of the most immersive gimmicks of AC but sometimes as he mentioned at sundown you just can't see **** :). Not related to your 512 just saying.

Yeah, the windscreens can be annoying in AC but if you check in-car footage (especially endurance races) that's exactly what it's like IRL, at least until they get a chance to pit. Sometimes it gets so bad that I wonder how they know where they are on the track!

Actually you had Sarrazin complain extensively last season during one of the races (Mexico I think) that he couldn't see nothing :). During the races though it's often also bugs and splashes. Would be cool to have one windscreen look like a bug graveyard as it often does after high speed summertime drives.

Thanks for explaining working with 3D models in Photoshop. At the moment I'm not looking into creating skins, but who knows what tomorrow will bring? I just like to know as much as I can about certain subjects and this one had me stumped. :laugh: :D

iRacing does a very good job of progressively making the windshield dirty, don't they? I don't know if you can reset a dirty windshield back to clean when you pit in iRacing.

Dirty windshield is nice and immersive if it`s not overdosed.

I always liked R3E windshields dirt (also a dashboard reflection is cool there),
(sorry for crappy quality, I just took it off internet:
maxresdefault.jpg

Also it`s cool in assetto when done this way, with wipers marks visible on the screen:
maxresdefault.jpg

16592024789_4faf85951b_b.jpg

When the windshield is all milky though, it`s not that great and immersive anymore...
Then I just use some clouds, so that the sun is not that aggressive.

I`d be great to have windshield similar to the above for the Ferrari and Lambo.

Thanks for explaining working with 3D models in Photoshop. At the moment I'm not looking into creating skins, but who knows what tomorrow will bring? I just like to know as much as I can about certain subjects and this one had me stumped. :laugh: :D

iRacing does a very good job of progressively making the windshield dirty, don't they? I don't know if you can reset a dirty windshield back to clean when you pit in iRacing.

Will look into it like the examples above, something more subtle. I always test them on sunset, didn't notice it might be a bit too much on the 512.
I'm also wondering why the inner windscreen shader doesn't support a dirt map similar to how the dirt on the paint works. I bet it's only a 2 minute shader coding, somehow they never implemented it.

Hi guys,
I think this one is ready. Pretty simple, but that's what a PGC (Policia Guardia Civil) livery is.
Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_8_8_2017_14_10_11.jpg

You should remove the wing though, looks much better without. Going for the next one, don't know which one yet. There's actually plenty of nice popo liveries out there to choose from. If ppl like it I'll release it, but might be better if I wait till I got some more and put them all together in a pack. Now where's that lightbar when you need it? :p:p:p

Decided to start on the "polizia Stradale":

Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_8_8_2017_16_11_58.jpg

Love that livery. Can see problems coming though. ( curved lines pffffff...:O_o:) Still such a lot I need to learn. But I'll get there I guess. :)

Yeah releasing a pack is a good idea, since they all share the same theme. I like the blue on the italian, will make a nice combo when done with white.

Yep, it's just beautiful that livery. Will take me a while though probably. I really need to learn AI. So I can draw my own vectorized graphics. Anyway, I'm on the right track, not in the least because of the 3D template. Thanks for that again...:thumbsup:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.