SimBin: 'Don't worry about bankruptcy rumours'

ref_feat1.jpg

Various websites have posted news regarding potential bankruptcy of SimBin Studios AB, here's a little substantiated clarification.

RaceDepartment understands that the current SimBin Studios AB company is undergoing a large restructuring. Current projects, such as R3E, are expected to be continued under the new banner of the new studio.

It is understood that there have been a handful of job losses at SimBin, however the majority of the development team is expected to remain at the 'new' studio. We'd like to wish those who have lost their jobs all the best in finding a new position.

We're confident that the information we're providing to you is up-to-date and correct, and is not based on speculation from social media.

SimBin's own @Jay Ekkel said, on RaceDepartment's forums:

Ill keep it short and sweet for now.

New Studio, new (tbd) name, new location, (almost) the same team. And most importantly we will continue the development of the project(s).

More (good) news will follow soon (tm) ;)

Don't worry about it, services and development will continue as planned.

There's nothing to worry about in regards to support of current games, or the release of future games. Content that has already been purchased will still function as normal.
Image: SimBin Studios AB

Last edited:
Did I skim over some questions? Apologies, I try my best to answer what i can, definatly not going political, if you know me better you might know I am anything but political, I am more the complete opposite! I do try to be as factual and explaining as I can so people see our side of the coin!

So here it goes for your questions.

Pitstops are being investigated, goal is to have them, question is in what form (minimal or in full animated form or somewhere in the middle).

Tire compounds is as task that is on Marks list, although I am not sure if it is focused on DTM or more general towards R3E at this time. Normally I would ask but he is on a well deserved holiday atm. I do know he has made changes/tweaks/improvements to the "default" tire for DTM to be tested, my educated guess is he is waiting to nail that one as finished, and then derive the other compound from there.

The Tire temps as you say are already being generated but are currently not visible without apps, reason for the menu not evolving is that we decided to switch UI systems. We are switching from scaleform to WebUI.

Will temps be int he first iteration of the new UI, that I cant tell you right now. Focus there currently lays with the Front-end atm, and slowly but steadily more pages will be converted to webUI. This also means that the HUD will undergo visual and feature changes, and will allow for a more open environment by the looks of it. <--- dont pin me on it!

So loads of these task are a bit "floating" atm, as we are focussed on SP and MP. With a team our size we just cant do them all at the same time....so we pick and choose, pick and choose!

Personal preference only, not bothered how the pit stops look, but they are a must.
Tyre option strategy is a highly important strategic factor in DTM, without it, a large part of DTM is omitted.
Tyre temps, hard to dial in a setup without them, self explanatory.

I appreciate the sharing of information, hazard a guess when definite info will be released?

(...) Also Simbin's approach of giving you the game for free and just selling content means they can't support modding.
Missed this somehow in previous reply (...) You brought there another subject that I would like SIMBIN members (Jay Ekkel?) talk a little about - what's their stance regarding modding for their titles and, of course, wether that will be possible at all in future titles (and, if so, if there'll be any support)?

@Jay Ekkel,

We can understand that it's complicated to give a definitive answer (actually expecting to see a negative) and my question in the quote may even look a bit odd (considering the business strategy of RR3E) but not everyone is happy or interested in RF2 or AC.
At the same time, RF1 is getting long in the tooth, as is GTL, GTR2 and Race'07.

Considering that, perhaps, part of the structure of RR3E and DTM may be familiar (for instances, from my understanding RR3E and DTM are using a nicely updated Miles sound engine), and that modding capabilities had been a strong quality of SIMBIN titles before, has that been considered at all for the newer title(s)?

Last edited:
Personal preference only, not bothered how the pit stops look, but they are a must.
Tyre option strategy is a highly important strategic factor in DTM, without it, a large part of DTM is omitted.
Tyre temps, hard to dial in a setup without them, self explanatory.

I appreciate the sharing of information, hazard a guess when definite info will be released?
Pitstops is a must for sure. Animated 3 second DTM pitstops not.
You only drive in, up/down and out.

Pitstops are being investigated, goal is to have them, question is in what form (minimal or in full animated form or somewhere in the middle).
I would rather have pitstopps in a minimalistic form but working ingame, than waiting further months (years?) for animated ones. Just guessing that most of the Simracers would agree with that.:rolleyes:
Race07 (as a still popular league platform) doesn't have animated pitstopps, but it works and that's the important thing.
Of course .... fully animated pitstopps would be the icing on the cake, but for the first pass it would be enough to have it non-animated but working. Animations could be implementated at a later date.

@Jay Ekkel Please tell me that @Mark Reynolds and Marco are still on the team!?!?
Best of luck to your "reorganization", I hope that it means more features faster for us customers and more success for you guys in the long run.
Also, mind sharing where you guys are moving?
@Jay Ekkel
I'm quoting myself here for some questions you have missed adressing, now if you can't answer these right now it's 110% fine.
You have however indirectly answered the part about Mr. Reynolds :)
Anyways, loving the feedback you guys are giving in this thread, keep this level of communication and I'm sure you'll gain more fans than you'll loose.
Also, I think the F2P / DLC / piecemeal businessmodel is fine for a lot of people, I'd stretch to say it is for the "silent majority" but it's pure guessing ofc :p
I know I am fine with it, people deserve to get paid for producing quality content.

@Jay Ekkel
I'm quoting myself here for some questions you have missed adressing, now if you can't answer these right now it's 110% fine.
You have however indirectly answered the part about Mr. Reynolds :)
Anyways, loving the feedback you guys are giving in this thread, keep this level of communication and I'm sure you'll gain more fans than you'll loose.
Also, I think the F2P / DLC / piecemeal businessmodel is fine for a lot of people, I'd stretch to say it is for the "silent majority" but it's pure guessing ofc :p
I know I am fine with it, people deserve to get paid for producing quality content.

I am sure you will understand, but I will not comment on who has been asked to leave or has been asked to stay. I may have indirectly hinted things, but that is all you are going to get on this subject.

Last edited:
FYI that is not what I am expecting/hoping for DTM-E 2014 ;)

I am pretty sure the Marketing will more clear this time around, I believe the publisher received 2 official complaints of buyers, and they have changed the wording on some of the material to avoid confusion.

I have only tried the free to race version and won't comment on the game itself but I gotta say in a world of corporate avoidance I more than impressed with your patience and willingness to day after day stand in the line of fire. I would buy something from YOU:) just on that premise.

Please focus on pit stops. That was the biggest let down of DTM:E 2013 after being hailed the "authentic DTM experience" when two stops were mandatory, and I've been holding out that DTM:E 2014 will make up for it. I want to replicate DTM races, strategy too, as one should expect in a game that's supposed to be dedicated 100% to the DTM (regardless of whatever words marketing chooses to use).

Edit: Also, thank you Jay for being so open and communicative with everyone.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.