SimBin: 'Don't worry about bankruptcy rumours'

ref_feat1.jpg

Various websites have posted news regarding potential bankruptcy of SimBin Studios AB, here's a little substantiated clarification.

RaceDepartment understands that the current SimBin Studios AB company is undergoing a large restructuring. Current projects, such as R3E, are expected to be continued under the new banner of the new studio.

It is understood that there have been a handful of job losses at SimBin, however the majority of the development team is expected to remain at the 'new' studio. We'd like to wish those who have lost their jobs all the best in finding a new position.

We're confident that the information we're providing to you is up-to-date and correct, and is not based on speculation from social media.

SimBin's own @Jay Ekkel said, on RaceDepartment's forums:

Ill keep it short and sweet for now.

New Studio, new (tbd) name, new location, (almost) the same team. And most importantly we will continue the development of the project(s).

More (good) news will follow soon (tm) ;)

Don't worry about it, services and development will continue as planned.

There's nothing to worry about in regards to support of current games, or the release of future games. Content that has already been purchased will still function as normal.
Image: SimBin Studios AB

Last edited:
Simmers know that this is politically correct, round-about language and what it really means is the general direction of the game will be less sim, more mass market appeal, what people call 'simcade'.

I honestly don't mean to raise any negativity here but, with the comments from SimBin, I'm getting the uneasy feeling the people in this thread are being given answers they interpret one way but SimBin means in a different way.

So, has the direction of the game changed since that Q&A was given?

I'm not so sure. Car's like the Apollo and Judd require a hefty amount of concentration and skill to get a decent lap, never mind a fast one.
I have played all the Forza/GT stuff and there is not a car in any of those games that feels like any serious sim i have tried on PC - GTR2, GTL, Race07, iRacing, AC, GSC and yes RRRE.
It is for me only a small FFB tweak or two away from feeling like GTR2.
Call it personal taste, but one thing i wouldn't say in all my criticisms of SimBin is that it is simcade (yes the corner markers didn't/don't help!).

Yes this Q&A is quite old.
I just recommend to read all comments of Marcus Reynolds here -> http://www.bsimracing.com/dtm-experience-multiplayer-alpha-gamermuscle-review/
It's much more informative than all the old Q&A's.
Okay, okay, this should be required reading, I see! Marcus Reynolds is saying some good things (please tell he's still there, his linked in profile isn't encouraging). This comment is very encouraging:

"all of the "Sim" aspect is being dumped back in piece by piece now that we have been told we can go back to what we used to do best, ie a more proper racing game"

Okay, okay, this should be required reading, I see! Marcus Reynolds is saying some good things (please tell he's still there, his linked in profile isn't encouraging). This comment is very encouraging:

"all of the "Sim" aspect is being dumped back in piece by piece now that we have been told we can go back to what we used to do best, ie a more proper racing game"
Indeed, his LinkedIn profile is not exactly encouraging! I recently bought all R3E content based on my reinvigorated hope and belief in this sim due to Marks posts about how it is coming along internally, if he's leaving then I'm suddenly not equally hopeful for the future. I know that a games success is not only down to one mans work, but looking at GSC2013 and Reiza studios, I think it's fair to say that one mans approach to physics and FFB can make a huge impact on how it all feels in the end.
This has me worried, very much worried... :(

I must admit that I, too, am uncomfortable about the future, but still hopeful.
My position at this stage is to wait and see what transpires, but I won't be spending any more money on RRE until it all becomes totally clear and I have firm evidence on current and future directions. :cautious:
The feedback from dev's is re-assuring and good to see, but there are still too many unknowns for me to spend further. I've been caught before by dev's closing down and losing all access to my previously purchased software (especially in FlightSimming). :(

EDIT: This is the one Game/ Sim that is still keeping me interested in SimRacing here nowadays. ;)

Indeed, his LinkedIn profile is not exactly encouraging! I recently bought all R3E content based on my reinvigorated hope and belief in this sim due to Marks posts about how it is coming along internally, if he's leaving then I'm suddenly not equally hopeful for the future. I know that a games success is not only down to one mans work, but looking at GSC2013 and Reiza studios, I think it's fair to say that one mans approach to physics and FFB can make a huge impact on how it all feels in the end.

Just to settle any doubts or worries, Mark is still with Simbin. I spoke with him yesterday. He's been on vacation and he's back at work now and said the next update with the new FFB should be a big improvement.

It would probably be a good idea to post an official statemant (or something like this) on what are the plans regarding the whole future of the company SimBin itself and the games still in development.
"Only" (I know Jay and the other are really trying to help us understand - but you get the point) to say yeah we're still working on it is probably not enough for many RD Members around here.

btw: I'm really excited for the new upcoming R3E patch coming soon :thumbsup::D

Last edited:
@Jay Ekkel i know there are things that are work in progress but i wanted to ask you about pit.-stop , tyres etc etc...
as i understood you have to release dtm 2014 and will not have these options so they will probably be updated at a later date right?and what about btm 2013 that is the only option no?will be updated too right?

Not sure where you heard we are not doing them for 2014 tbh.....
The goal/plan is to have them in, when they will be done is the question right now, not if :)
ahahah no no there was an error...what i wanted to say was "not have at the time of release but will being updated at a later date" (obvious when they are ready) so i wanted to know if u will update also 2013 season cos i don't know if buy now the game or wait for 2014 season to get a more complete game...

Here's some encouragement for SimBin: I've recently tried Game Stock Car Extreme and Assetto Corsa. GSC is really nice, has great FFB but it's getting dated and seems a little bit limited to me in terms of variety and multiplayer infrastructure (as compared to iRacing). Assetto Corsa surprised me, I'm not sure I understand what all the hype is about. It looks fine to me but not great, the physics seem very on, but its ffb seems a little wonky (difficult to feel the road, some effects are strange). After all the good publicity these games have gotten recently, you know what? I want to get back into R3E! Just let us feel the road with FFB (it's still like driving on a flat surface) and keep on with the multiplayer infrastructure, and these other games while good I don't think they can match the all-around package SimBin is known to be capable of delivering. Keep at it! :)

New FFB and updateed tracks have been send to the testers earlier this week and initial responses are very good. As always there will be room to improve more or tweak things to be better.

Cant wait to send it out to the public and receive feedback on these things.
Does this mean that it is available to those of us who have the WIP beta on steam? Or is it for internal testers only?
If the latter is true, where's my invite? :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%
  • < 5 years