SimBin: 'Don't worry about bankruptcy rumours'

ref_feat1.jpg

Various websites have posted news regarding potential bankruptcy of SimBin Studios AB, here's a little substantiated clarification.

RaceDepartment understands that the current SimBin Studios AB company is undergoing a large restructuring. Current projects, such as R3E, are expected to be continued under the new banner of the new studio.

It is understood that there have been a handful of job losses at SimBin, however the majority of the development team is expected to remain at the 'new' studio. We'd like to wish those who have lost their jobs all the best in finding a new position.

We're confident that the information we're providing to you is up-to-date and correct, and is not based on speculation from social media.

SimBin's own @Jay Ekkel said, on RaceDepartment's forums:

Ill keep it short and sweet for now.

New Studio, new (tbd) name, new location, (almost) the same team. And most importantly we will continue the development of the project(s).

More (good) news will follow soon (tm) ;)

Don't worry about it, services and development will continue as planned.

There's nothing to worry about in regards to support of current games, or the release of future games. Content that has already been purchased will still function as normal.
Image: SimBin Studios AB

Last edited:
Yes, I definitely agree, and I thank Jay for the replies. I do wish Simbin all the best, Race07 is still my most-played racing game ever. Although a big part of it is because of the modding scene, and the fact that R3E is closed to it is my main source of anxiety about the whole project. But that's a completely different argument anyway!

Good luck to everyone at Simbin :)

yeah absolutely both have their pro's and con's, hence why we are most likely to add the slider at one point, giving the option most of the time is the best way to go, but also takes the longest ;)

http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...simbin-finally-improve-race-07-gtr-evo.90744/

Here's an opportunity Simbin.
Racedepartment forumer Chronus* can make improvements to the physics where necessary, he re-did the C6R and to my surprise improved it over the very good stock C6R...and it made my G27 feel like a new wheel.

*he actually has a background in physics and also has very strong PC knowledge and it shows in his work.

Maybe the problem was compounded by the arrival of pCars and Assetto Corsa. That coupled with an new and unpopular business model coupled with the disappointment over GTR3 set RRE on the back foot from the beginning. Hopefully they can turn it around.

@ Craig: I do not agree with that. I have no problems with spending that amount of cash for a good game. That's why I haven't spent a single euro on it, yet. It's unfinished and am not convinced by its physics/ffb atm. But I have absolutely no problem with the way they sell there product. Iracing costs almost ten times of this besides the monthly fee to RENT the content.

The thing that bugs me more is that they call it free to play when, without paying, it's nothing more than a glorified demo.

But Craig, I won't deny that AC for example is a LOT better value for money, a whole LOT!

As to why they went bandrupt, I really don't care. What I am concerned and know is that R3E was launched on Steam more than a year ago with promises for single and multiplayer racing 'soon' after their initial release but they are not implanted even now.

Instead of working on Single player AIs or Multiplayer functions what we got was standalone DTM add-on with no pit stop, no weather, no multiplayer (which was added in later date as "Alpha" state with no dedicated server, which I belive is crucial to a sim racing game), and no cross functionality between former R3E game and contents.

As an old Simbin fan, I bought every single content they released for R3E including all skins. I have been defending, or accepting rather, their business model beliving what they promised us for R3E would soon be implemented. What I have now is a "racing simulator" without race, multiplayer, pit-stop or any functions a sim racing game should have.

Simbin or what used to Simbin really should really get their things together fast and listen to their customers. I really enjoy driving R3E cars as their distinct Simbin feeling are still wonderful and mostly fun, but expansive contents mixed with no sim racing functions? I almost feel it's been for good they got bankrupt as they might now change their appoach on marketting and more importantly development plans for R3E in the future.

Same here, I too bought all the R3E content and I totally disappointed to say the least. All i wanted was the MP and SP to be released and I would be happy. To tell you truth even if they rebadged it as GTR3 and sold it with all the content with SP and MP I wouldn't be disappointed but rather relieved that I got to race these excellent cars against fellow racers..

Jay, so could you give us any further information? Are you guys working on the project right now? Or we have to wait till the restructuring will be done? How long this whole process will take? How this will effect us? What should we expect in the near/far future? etc.
Or can you tell us please, when we will receive any official announcments about r3e.

Thank you

We are still in the transition phase, which primarly means management is busy to sort things out, new office, moving, etc etc. In the meantime the larger part of the team is doing their thing as usual. So it shouldnt affect you at all.

The restructuring is going to take some time I think with the move of the studio and all, I bet once we know what the deal is it will soon be followed with an official statement.

I think the "PTP" model can be fantastic when done correctly, the product is continually supported and content standard is higher.

In forums of some other sims I play there are threads with people that are proud owning all content even tho they have no intention of using the purchases, other users respect it, loyalty is high.

Where it all falls over is selling content on promises that do not materialise (not saying that's the case here), when product is end of life, or when content is sold without a game structure to use them as intended.

Of course in the latter buyer beware, but selling DLC off the back of a loyal community's company perception without a game structure are ingredients for some unhappy people.

Im not fussed about the RRE using a "PTP" business model.
Clear Intention, direction and execution is more important to me personally, the feeling of current content leaves me not knowing what I have purchased.

This leads to the GTR3 (Edit: or like minded product *sigh*) debate, as a consumer I know what I'm getting in the package in advance.

Edit: A new mission statement or a solid comment on direction after the restructure would ease customer fear.

Last edited:
Thank you @Jay Ekkel for all the posts. *This* is communication. :) Thank you to the company for all the great years you've supported and continue to support your past catalog. To be honest, I think SimBin presents the best all around racing experience for their time, R3E aside for now. Going through all this unrest, though, can I respectfully suggest that you reward your stalwart die-hard community fans like RaceDepartment, NoGrip, etc., in some tangible, meaningful way if you come out of this restructuring afloat? SimBin has been such a great company, I am sure if you treat your customers right at this critical juncture, they'll loudly and boisterously support you when people ask why they should buy your game when it comes out of beta when everybody now knows all the messiness that lead up to it. :) Thanks, again, for everything and for these posts. Keep this up and I'm sure your fans will support you!

I think the "PTP" model can be fantastic when done correctly, the product is continually supported and content standard is higher.

In forums of some other sims I play there are threads with people that are proud owning all content even tho they have no intention of using the purchases, other users respect it, loyalty is high.

Where it all falls over is selling content on promises that do not materialise (not saying that's the case here), when product is end of life, or when content is sold without a game structure to use them as intended.

Of course in the latter buyer beware, but selling DLC off the back of a loyal community's company perception without a game structure are ingredients for some unhappy people.

Im not fussed about the RRE using a "PTP" business model.
Clear Intention, direction and execution is more important to me personally, the feeling of current content leaves me not knowing what I have purchased.

This leads to the GTR3 (Edit: or like minded product *sigh*) debate, as a consumer I know what I'm getting in the package in advance.

Edit: A new mission statement or a solid comment on direction after the restructure would ease customer fear.

Totally agree, The price point is of course what got everyone out ( me included at first ), But with the DTM Experience i picked up at 50% off on steam and followed by their 50% off on all content made me buy in and man this game is very good. Sure the options available are/is still lacking but this is Simbin we are talking about here they never disappointed me, and things are turning around and i couldn't be more exited

Simbin has dev blog: http://insider.simbin.com Although not all content about development.

Aware of the Dev log, was more thinking along the lines of more scheduled information regarding development other than majority consisting promos, sales and race results.

Restructuring can be beneficial to the project, hopefully its occurred to stream line and correct vision, placing the right people were they are effective.
Hopefully not to shore up failing finances, looking towards an injection of funding at the price of product authenticity.

From what I've experienced I'm leaning towards the positive side, change will be welcome.

This might be a slightly longer post trying to cover some of the question above. Lets see where we end when I am done.

Costs
If you look to keep costs low wait for the sales, we have content for a good deal almost every month. And if you want even lower prices wait for the sales that we have once or twice a year that give 50-75% discount on nearly everything...

IMO its not an argument saying that something is expensive and therefor it is bad, try that
a car dealer and see how it goes ;). Joking aside, if we are talking value for money, you may have a point, R3E is not finished yet.

So lets say standard prices now should be 25% lower, since you can only hot lap. SP feature is done, would you or everyone else be ok with us then bumping the price 25% up? Then MP comes in and we bump it another 25%, since well you get more value for money now.

I have been in this community long enough to know the sh*t storm that would cause! So yeah, value for money you may have a point, but once SP and MP are ready its so worth the money..

I always go for the movie or coffee analogy, going to the movie is gonna cost you 15 bucks? 1,5 hour later you are done. For 2 buck you can get a coffee that will serve you well for 15 minutes. For 2,5 bucks you can have a virtual car that will last you almost forever.

F2P
We will stick to the current business model as it is at heart of the concept. We see R3E as a launch platform to many DLC, like DTM, ADAC or any other series we get, or you can get single content, or never buy anything and go for the competitions to get some good game time in. With some skill and luck you might win some good prices or free content..

We try to give the player the option to invest in what he or she enjoys, and leave what they don't care out of the picture. You are of course allowed to agree or not agree with this concept, all i can say until now it seems to be going very well.

Currently we are looking at improving the flexibility of the user getting content, package deals for cars/tracks, user created bundles with appropriate discount etc etc.
In my opinion the prices are right, especially considering that once SP and MP are out the "money vs fun" factor totally tilts to the gamers favour.

investment
A lot of people here tell me that they are still enjoying Race07 today, some dirty maths then tells me that that investment 6-7 years is stall lasting you today (0,01 cents a day) vs all the fun you had with that game, all i see is a cheap and great investment in fun!

Listening ears
I or anyone else i know from the team have never said that we would just do what ever you guys or anyone else elsewhere say, that would turn out to be the most complicated, diverse all over the place game ever..... We are keen listeners, and I take all positive or negative feedback with us to whatever we decide to do.

DTM-Experience
You have a point that its a bit stupid that the tracks from DTM-E can't be used in R3E, not our choice, its a contractual obligation. Blasting a DTM car over Bathurst, believe its great fun! But sadly atm not possible, we will have to live with that limitation.

Yup, turned out to be a long post...

Something I did learn over the past 11 years doing games, no matter if you go left, right or straight ahead, there will always be someone telling you are going the direction. There is no things as a perfect game.

I think I understand what you are saying. In the end I think it is my own "mistake". I loved GTR 2, Legends and Race. The reason I still race GTR 2 is that it is a full sim. With that I mean: 24 hour clock, weather, pitstops, tires, tracks, cars, mods, liveries and a decent driving model.
My small expectation and big hope was R3E would be a GTR 2 successor, which it is not. And as I understand from your post, never will be. That is not your problem, it is mine. AS company you have decided to change direction and from that point of view I think it is a good to let go of the old name Simbin as people will always refer to the history. Standing still is going backwards while we have to move forwards.
I do not have any problems with the business model. I like paying for content as in that way im certified of good quality and I do not have to try mods to see if they are any good. Driving dead alone on tracks for one and a half year...that is another story. Imagine Battelfield with no SP nor MP just carton plates to shoot at...
Anyways, I must respect the fact that Simbin has turned into an direction I do not follow. Im not interested in time trials, prices, leader boards (unless its a full MP leader board). Once in a while I start up R3E and you know what I see Jake? I see the best damn car park I have ever seen in a a PC race game, I see beautiful tracks, i hear amazing sounds...but...(I hate "but") it feels like Grid.
Expectation management....I need to work on that.

Good luck with the future!

With kind regards, Boby Kim

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back