S14 - General Discussion

Try my setup on Melbourne Bob with high downforce package, also don't know if on server it changes package correctly best doing it before you join when you pick car.

I had been on Spa medium and went to Melbourne and couldn't get round t1 without spinning and notice wings only 30 or something so realised was on medium package still. I think there's some rubber on to start with on server to and can get ai out to do laps aswell. Also like Steeve says about %s I use 25 accel and brake also with lower lock of 16.5 17.5 with 420 degrees I think David uses higher lock same degree, lower helps control steering for me. Theres also some other things in rf2 help thread to for ffb and stuff.

I can push car at limit now around Melbourne and Spa, but I hit about 70 walls a lap on Monaco I didn't even think there was that many around that track.

I can just agree to the others above Bob. When I tried Sean's setup I felt it a bit oversteery tho, esp. on power out of corners, so tested a bit less power diff and 1-3 dgr less front wing.

Then after a decent amount of laps at monaco I tried Melbourne again and voila, car handling felt muuuch better. So try Monaco (with some patience, no need to come up to the limit I'd say) and then return to Melbourne :thumbsup:

Good point Geoffry I think start of season still quite long but should be thinking of moving location soon would make sense.

Also on the setup mine is basically made in short time on server with just a few clicks from default to make it more drivable for me, still a lot to be learned when we get running full speed.

Hi, i find we aren't many signs yet. Is it maybe because the forum is on RACE07 and not everyone know that PrestoGP is moving to rFactor2?

My plan is wait till Nico is back around and has a look at everything, If he is happy then we can ask to be moved to the Rfactor2 forums.

Regards signups, it's only a test so far I think roughly the real sign up will be around 1st Feb then we really get things moving.

so guys, settings for new the new season.....

19:00 Free Practise
20:00 3 Practise Starts if possible.
20:07 Qualifying - 7mins/10mins/15mins ????
20:22 Warmup (Duration: 5 minutes)
20:27 Formation lap - ?????
20:30 Race
21:30 End

Forced Cockpit View: On
Driving aids: All off except Automatic Clutch
Weather: Dry
Start mode: Standing
Superpole: Off
Damage Sensitivity: 50%/75%/100% ?????
Parc Ferme: On/Off ?????
Pit limiter: On
Mechanical Failure: On/Off ?????
Flag Rules: None (cutting is still prohibited)
Tyre Wear: Normal/x1/x2 ??????
Fuel Cons: Normal

the question marks are ones we need to get sorted.

Qualifying - I think 10/15 mins would be the best option, it would allow us to use the extra time we lose from the race.

Formation lap - I think we dont need, We just carry on the usual Presto way?

Damage - I think 50/75% would be best, at 100% the damage is bad with minimal contact, we obviously want to have minimal contacts in the league but we also dont want drivers dnf with a slight touch.

Parc ferme - I think would be best if left full on, It will cut alot of time in our practise routines if we use roughly the same setup all through and it can only help our race consistancy.

Mechanical failures - I'm undecided, I like the real life ractor of having an unknown happen if you drive the car too hard but I also think that it may be too much for our first season, likewise with damage, Id hate for someone to dnf because they werent fully used to the car or game, We are a fun league after all.

Tyre wear -This is a big one for me, we need to have strategy involved in our races, this is a big requirement, If it ends up just go to the end with no tyre changes or refuelling then we would be as well running club races every week, we might need some testing to see what the tyre multiplyer offers us, if we can have 1-2 tyre changes varying at diffrent tracks within the 60 mins races then thats ideal.

Mechanical failures - I'm undecided, I like the real life ractor of having an unknown happen if you drive the car too hard but I also think that it may be too much for our first season, likewise with damage, Id hate for someone to dnf because they werent fully used to the car or game, We are a fun league after all.

Tyre wear -This is a big one for me, we need to have strategy involved in our races, this is a big requirement, If it ends up just go to the end with no tyre changes or refuelling then we would be as well running club races every week, we might need some testing to see what the tyre multiplyer offers us, if we can have 1-2 tyre changes varying at diffrent tracks within the 60 mins races then thats ideal.

About Mech. Failures: Pls set it to "On". There is no unknown stuff happening that can lead to mech. failures. Either you overheat your engine and the engine could blow up as a result or you consinstently overheat your brakes and the brakes could fail because of that.
The setup options for these things would be pointless otherwise.

Also someone could blind the field behind him with engine-smoke with no consequences.

Just make the temperature-range of the event public beforhand and there should be no problems :)

About Tyre wear: Even though I would like to have as low amounts of pitstops as possible, to avoid pit-collisions and shared pit-boxes to affect the races too often, I' fine with whatever you do.
But pls leave the fuel-usage to x1. We shoud avoid the refueling buginess at all costs.

Is that GMT times David or did we roll everything back 1 hour? I would prefer 1 hr earlier races ;)

If the start mode is standing - why have a formation lap?
Qualifying duration should be enough for 2 outlaps and 2 hotlaps, with margin for waiting/letting by cars behind etc. Previous seasons it has been just a little too depending on which track we raced. It also depends on when Q sessions end, right - if exactly at time ends or when last car finishes? Maybe 10 mins? It should still be a now-it-is-it-feeling!

About Mech. Failures: Pls set it to "On". There is no unknown stuff happening that can lead to mech. failures. Either you overheat your engine and the engine could blow up as a result or you consinstently overheat your brakes and the brakes could fail because of that.
The setup options for these things would be pointless otherwise.

Also someone could blind the field behind him with engine-smoke with no consequences.

Just make the temperature-range of the event public beforhand and there should be no problems :)

About Tyre wear: Even though I would like to have as low amounts of pitstops as possible, to avoid pit-collisions and shared pit-boxes to affect the races too often, I' fine with whatever you do.
But pls leave the fuel-usage to x1. We shoud avoid the refueling buginess at all costs.

so are those the only failures you can expect with mechanical failures on? if so then obviously people from presto are already used to setting radiators so as not to cause smoke to the guys behind so using radiators for engine temps wont be much of a diffrence, i think we could possible deal with both those aspects fine, so maybe im not so undecided :)

tyre wear and pits are still a big deal, we spent countless seasons to try perfect or get as close to as we could varying strategies in races, we set the race length to try accomodate our x2 tyre wear setting to maximise the chance that races could be decided on strategy as well as mistakes, obviously with r3.5 and rf2 we dont have the luxury of having races longer than 60 mins so we need to try accomodate strategy into 60 mins, wether thats 1 stop or 2 makes no diffrence at the moment, but having 0 stops wouldnt be appealing then the variable of pits is taken out and we purely wait for mistakes, i think minimum we should be aiming for is tyre wear enforcing at least 1 stop during the race.

Is that GMT times David or did we roll everything back 1 hour? I would prefer 1 hr earlier races ;)

If the start mode is standing - why have a formation lap?
Qualifying duration should be enough for 2 outlaps and 2 hotlaps, with margin for waiting/letting by cars behind etc. Previous seasons it has been just a little too depending on which track we raced. It also depends on when Q sessions end, right - if exactly at time ends or when last car finishes? Maybe 10 mins? It should still be a now-it-is-it-feeling!

Time wont change Peter they are exactly the same as from season 1. (UK Time)

Why in real life do they have a formation lap when its standing? :p

I get the feeling 10 mins would be the ideal qualifying :) I'd also be in favour of not allowing any lap completions after the 10 mins is up, I like the idea you need to time your laps right to get them at a time when most rubber is down but you take your chances if the track is clear enough, If the time runs out 1 turn before you finish then tough luck :)

What was q last time ? add 5 minutes ?

Formation lap cool but would make practise starts slow ? can use above minutes for this or just use standing starts keep extra time for q and keep practise starts which are always great I think.

Yes for parc ferme.

Think the full tanks at start seems obvious choice for fuel.

How about lining up a full 60 min test race with 1x/2x tire wear ? give us good idea, if then 2x leads us to have to stop at least once then guy who can drive tires best still gets advantage :thumbsup:.
Perhaps some tracks may offer up a different strategy if hard on tires, and or if we use more aggressively :geek:

Even though i'm not participating in many races, i will give my opinion.

Qual 10 min = perfect

Formation lap = waste of time and fuel

Damage sensitivity = 50% i think its best to work in favour of "unexperienced" rf2 drivers, so it will mainly make it more enjoyable for them, and won't change anything for those who doesn't make mistakes.

Mechanical failure = ON. I agree Dino's point of making everyone using rad at 3 at least and brake duct open between 20-50%. Though i would turn it OFF if you can randomly get failure for no reason. And count on drivers for reasonable adjustment,

Tyre wear = x2. Right now on server, i think its possible to go full 60 min race with a tyre set. Even though i'm not sure if it will be faster than changing them mid race, i think they doesn't wear fast enough atm.

Parc ferme = Yes

That's my objective, non regular participant point of view :)

Steeve

I get the feeling 10 mins would be the ideal qualifying :) I'd also be in favour of not allowing any lap completions after the 10 mins is up, I like the idea you need to time your laps right to get them at a time when most rubber is down but you take your chances if the track is clear enough, If the time runs out 1 turn before you finish then tough luck :)

It's exactly the same as if your time runs out before you can start your final lap, so no difference really. Except one q is about 90sec longer than the other one.

I have never seen a random mech. failure so far. Every one of them was due to overheating of something. Or breaking way to hard consistently, which in essence is the same thing actually.
The engine smoking starts usually only on high overheating. A less extreme case of overheating (consistent yellow engine stat in your trackmap) can finish your engine too at some point, but yeah it's a radiator setting away from beeing completly safe from that.
If we somewhat know the race temps there is no problem.
Remember that radiator is part of parc-ferme too

So far an all cases someone was driving around in front of me with smoke (just 2 cases so far but still^^), only the fact that his engine eventually died saved me from beeing stuck behind his smokewall the entire race.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea