Revealed: Ferrari SF71H

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ferrari SF71H Formula One Launch 2.jpg

Scuderia Ferrari have revealed the brand new Ferrari SF71H today, joining big rivals Mercedes in the revealing of their new 2018 Grand Prix challenger...

Featuring a slight redesign of the colour scheme used in recent seasons as the Prancing Horse return to the traditional all red livery of Ferrari past, the new SF71H is a striking and surprisingly neat looking racing car, one in which the Italian legends will be keen to see push the Maranello one step closer to a considered championship challenge in the year ahead.

"The SF71H represents an evolution of last year’s car, which was already a good project," explained Technical Director, Mattia Binotto. "We’ve tried to retain the strengths. Our strengths I would say first is aggressiveness in some of the concepts.

"We designed a car that was somehow performing very well on low speed circuits, but we knew we had to work on new areas of development. For example, trying to develop the car to be strong in performance on the high-speed circuits, but also on reliability.

"What has changed? The main difference is we have a slightly longer wheelbase compared to last year. We have the sidepods, the radiator ducts which are even more aggressive and innovative than what we had last year. Overall, the entire team did a fantastic job in terms of packaging to be very tight. If you look at the body it’s a very narrow body."

Just hours after the launch of arch rivals Mercedes, the potential two front runners of the coming season are out in the open, ready for testing to begin in Barcelona next week..

Ferrari SF71H Formula One Launch 1.jpg
Ferrari SF71H Formula One Launch 3.jpg
Ferrari SF71H Formula One Launch 4.jpg
Ferrari SF71H Formula One Launch 5.jpg

Formula One car launch dates:

February 14th - Haas Ferrari
February 15th - Williams Mercedes
February 19th - Red Bull Tag Heuer
February 20th - Renault
February 20th - Alfa Romeo Sauber Ferrari
February 22nd - AMG Mercedes
February 22nd - Ferrari
February 23rd - McLaren Renault
February 25th - Toro Rosso Honda

TBC - Force India Mercedes

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you like the new SF71H? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

...well... not so much risks, very "logical" design, all is ok, interested by the work over the halo (this will add some aéro)
@++

Full red looks good to me. Made me remember my most favorite "modern" Ferrari - F60 (wait, it's almost decade old now!)

This is a massive downgrade to the livery used last season. The car really needed the white to break up the car, and now it just looks like one big blob of red.
You must really hate Ferrari 641 or late 90's ones then :p

Last edited:
and another team using a lot of black to minimize the visual horror of the shapes the engineers have come up with. Dark blends in with the tarmac and visually slims and lightens the shape. The only half-way decently designed bit is the halo, actually.

upload_2018-2-22_22-39-50.png

It seems that also in 2018 the "aero philosophy" battle will go on, with Ferrari and Red Bull going full raked while Mercedes more flat for a more clean and less draggy aero under the chassis.

I remember in 2008 we also have seen a lot of weird aero decisions. 09 has been a big cleanup of car shapes. Not sure we'll see thing like that next year tho, the level of weirdness is still not that crazy yet.

View attachment 237207
It seems that also in 2018 the "aero philosophy" battle will go on, with Ferrari and Red Bull going full raked while Mercedes more flat for a more clean and less draggy aero under the chassis.
I'm not a fan of those aero prototype-like appendixes in the back. Look at the "original" line of the Mercedes: a lot better aestetically.
Oh, the old good times of F1 designs...

Anyway FORZA FERRARI :D

View attachment 237207
Are you saying the Ferrari has a more pronounced rake?

I'm intrigued by the main side pod air intake and barge board treatments by SF, also there seems to be some minor aero treatment with vertical winglets on the front suspension. Not very bothered by the halo.

Interesting to see where this sport progresses. We definitely need solid contenders to Mercedes, I'd personally like Redbull and Mclaren. Maybe baby jesus can grant us a classic of a season.

This is a massive downgrade to the livery used last season. The car really needed the white to break up the car, and now it just looks like one big blob of red.

WIth Santander hopping off as one of the main sponsors there´s no need for white patches.
Looks better than in recent years, reminds me of the F2007 and F2008, maybe a good sign.

"What has changed? The main difference is we have a slightly longer wheelbase compared to last year."

Yes, because that worked so well for Mercedes at Monaco last season, right?

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 91 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 127 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%
  • €3001-5000