Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Renault RS18 F1 2018 Launch.jpg

Renault Sport F1 reveal the striking new RS18 Formula One 2018 challenger.

Coming in a pretty spectacular looking yellow and black livery, and due to be driven by German Nico Hulkenberg and new recruit Carlos Sainz, the new Renault R.S.18 Formula One car is the fourth new for 2018 F1 machine revealed to date (ok fifth if you read the Sauber article first), and marks a serious assault on the top of the Formula One grid for the former World Championship winning team.

Cyril Abiteboul, Renault Sport Racing managing director stated: “Last year was successful in many ways. It was the second year in our rebuilding and a further step towards our long-term plans and aims. 2016 was all about recruiting, investing, bringing in new sponsors, new talents and building our brand. Over the past year I’ve seen progression in many areas: ninth to sixth in the standings – in many races we were often the fourth fastest team on the grid. This is a testament to our drive, commitment and adherence to a very ambitious plan. It was a quantified progression towards what we want to become and challenging the top teams.

“We have everything to be positive about this year. We have two very talented and ambitious drivers. Last year Nico gave us exactly what we needed with his experience, knowledge and ability to lead both on and off track. Carlos joined us at the end of the season and he brought something fresh, and he scored points to help us in the Constructors’ battle. Without that we wouldn’t have finished where we finished.

“Our headline target is to show continued progression through results. We want to be able to showcase our progression in every regard; power unit, chassis, operations, drivers. Everything must improve and we must continue to grow. We want to demonstrate this in many different ways, from the teams we will be directly racing against, to the gap to the leaders, including also our fan base and the respect that our team will inspire in our way we behave on and off track.”

The R.S.18 is a car Renault hopes will be able to challenge for podiums and victories in the season ahead. One thing is for sure, the car certainly looks the part ahead of pre season testing next week in Barcelona..

Launch Renault F1 R.S.18 1.jpg
Launch Renault F1 R.S.18 2.jpg

Formula One car launch dates:

February 14th - Haas Ferrari
February 15th - Williams Mercedes
February 19th - Red Bull Tag Heuer
February 20th - Renault
February 20th - Alfa Romeo Sauber Ferrari
February 22nd - AMG Mercedes
February 22nd - Ferrari
February 23rd - McLaren Renault
February 25th - Toro Rosso Honda

TBC - Force India Mercedes

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What do you think of the new Renault F1 car? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Ken Bell

Premium
Agree with Mitja. Too much black. Why do these people use black? we as spectators cannot see the darn things.
I agree that they use black on the barge booards or lower edges to hide detail but not on the actual car ffs. Well Renault is the worst so far. But, love the Sauber

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

Really nice forms, mirrors attachement are interesting...
For now it's the best one
@++

and - whoosh - already got used to that new protection device whatsitsname everyone was so mad about.
That said, the new generation still have far too many little bits and pieces sticking out to make for a halway decent design, plus with the front by definition excessively ugly (those skylines of fins even before the car proper has started, ridiculous) anything else that follows cannot really save the design of these machines. Unless they clear up the front by limiting size and shape of the front splitter, everything else is cosmetics.
it is no coincidence the front is usually black on a black floor: if I were the designer of those monstrosities i'd do everything i could to hide them as well.

So my daughter asks me last season which one is the yellow car. I tell her it's Renault. And then the view changes on the TV. She asks who the black car is. I tell her it's Renault. She's 9 and is completely confused by this. She thought it was the yellow car, but now it's the black car.

Ugh...I see the same problem this season. Is it black? Is it yellow? It's not both because the side and the top view are so vastly different. Just paint the whole darn thing yellow and make a black stripe somewhere.

So my daughter asks me last season which one is the yellow car. I tell her it's Renault. And then the view changes on the TV. She asks who the black car is. I tell her it's Renault. She's 9 and is completely confused by this. She thought it was the yellow car, but now it's the black car.

Ugh...I see the same problem this season. Is it black? Is it yellow? It's not both because the side and the top view are so vastly different. Just paint the whole darn thing yellow and make a black stripe somewhere.

Man...You're right, now poor Renault should put a single color on their cars, imagine the marketing disaster if someone find out that, you're daughter suffer for such a confusion, it's a shame.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 37 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.7%
  • €3001-5000