RDRC S3 Round 1 - Rally of Norway (16 Jul - 20 Jul)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I signed up for session EU4 but I managed to drive in session EU3.

I joined with no practice - just installed all updates with 5 minutes to go.

My first ever rally without CFH and DNF. I only hit some drunk punk lying in bushes after he had one Czech beer too much in Pribram.

I didn't end without errors luckily they didn't ruin my rally, some spins, one heavy roll in last SS, and two big off's one in Mlynky - I stopped beneath road, reversed speeded up and jumped back on road. Second off was at Sikakama, where I was sure it will be left corner and was right. Luckily I missed tree by inches.

Nice rally :) I really enjoyed it very much!

What a fun rally. It was great to run with Troy and Aaron, you guys are fast. I'm still having teamspeak issues since the last update, maybe next time I will get it to work. Thanks for the kind words Troy. I had a smoking car before each service except the last one, but was able to drag the car home over all stages.

Without a doubt, the most painful rally I ever had at RD. Basically I did all my practice on the previous update, and wasn't aware before the start that the latest update basically turned the snow walls from great helpers to car killers. Until I realised that, I was just a sitting target among those walls playing pinball with my poor Fabia. Result, 3 rolls, 2 CFHs, countless amount of other crashes and spins(fortunately no retirement though).

Even when I realised that fact I was still damn lost, as all stages were greatly affected and all the practice I had done was useless when it came to adapting my speed to the new conditions. I ended up being 30-35 seconds slower than practice per stage when I didn't crash - though I assume that times got slowed down for everyone with the update, this still was a very frustrating experience.

And oh, I should mention that racing dusk/fog on snow is only good at giving you headackes if you don't have a decent monitor.

Overall this is my third nightmare rally in a row, and that is pretty damn hard to accept as round 1 to 7 went extremely fine for me last season.

Great rally, fantastic stages, thank you to the organisers for setting it up and collating everything. Thanks to all the team members in Terror Australis great result for our first event, bad luck Keegs with your blue screen. See everyone at the next event.

Cheers Al

That was a fairly tidy start by the Terror Australis Teams in the new Pug 207. Bad luck for poor Keegs though with PC failure. :frown:

I quite enjoyed the smaller and more nimble S2000 car, and I think it was quite competitive with Rick's WRC car in the tighter twisty Stages, eg SS10 and SS12.
I also thought the Stage selections were good, some were pretty demanding (as they should be) but there was a lot of variety too. The Mixed Mod for Snow was new and very different. :thumb:

Overall, my Rally was ok, kept it reasonably clean but had a few ugly mistakes.

Off to a dodgy start by hitting the barrels right after the start of SS01, things weren't looking too optimistic about that point, but recovered ok.
Things were pretty uneventful until Mlynky night (ss06) where I slid off the road and down the bank. Somehow I managed to scramble back up the cliff and onto the road again, veeeery lucky. :eek:
After that all went ok, but on the last stage I had a few nervous offs after bouncing off the hard icy banks too much.

Glad to finally bring the little Pug home in one piece.

Thanks to Rick and his Team for organising, and really great to have so many drivers in the OC4 Session. Lots of us on TS too to add to the atmosphere and fun. :thanks:

great rally here too.

I was loving the combo up until SS10. I somehow lost the drivetrain and almost got no propulsion when throttlin.
Decided to kill it in a tree.
Up until that point we had crazy fights in EU. Atkins running first with Rivivied, but both dropping one stage early on.
Totte, Norman, Birney, Ben and me still fighting for top. Every stage further, the times switched around.

Until eventually Totte, Birney and Ben retired one, and a bit later me too. But what a fights, and close times we had!
Great stages combo, loved the tiny slovakian stage (03 and 06).

And i must say i'm very happy with the scooby!

Tx to Rick, and RD!

Basically I did all my practice on the previous update, and wasn't aware before the start that the latest update basically turned the snow walls from great helpers to car killers.

Is that what the deal was with the cement snowbanks?

As Troy can attest to, I was whining about this all night... I could not figure out if it was the car, or if it was a change, or what...

Really annoying as I felt like I was playing the game "Operation" with my car, any small amount of touching the bank would completely unsettle the car. At one point I tried tall and soft suspension, all that accomplished was several near rolls.

Really destroys the great risk those stages had if you cut, large rocks waiting for you in the banks. Now it is just don't cut ever, not even where there is no bank, there is still a large curb there.

SS1: I did one mistake which involved into high water temperature
SS2: 0.8 km before finish my engine stalled because of the temperature from previous stage :(
SS3: I ve got AGAIN high water temperature ... should I have repaired car? again, engine stalled..!
SS4: :D I was pushing a lot to gain at least some seconds after 2 retirement... but I was too fast, rolled at least 3 or 4 times, meanwhile destroyed suspension, cambers, even turbo died... engine had no power at all, but I finish :D
SS5: I decided to repair the car, it would be a lost if I continued with the destroyed crasher from stage 4
SS6: I once did well to do the highlights more attractive... at night it was hard to follow the notes, so I set them longer and still, if there was slow tight turn I was faster than I should be and rolled... all the time :D finished, luckily
SS7: amazing! I was going for the fastest time but...err, wait, no, last kilometer and everything has broken down, CFH, stall... terrible finish
SS8: Again! total flat out, amazing first split but then, stupid marshals! they were standing just were is the car going if you are only a little wide because of full throttle... but after few turns I crashed into tree and stuck, couldnt shift reverse, retire
SS9: it was fast, hit first rocks, retire
SS10: what to say, I had no practice with mixed mod... it subscribed under another retire :D it cant be worser now, I am aiming to the dead last right now
SS11: just flat out, I was testing what the car can handle... not much :D but now I will do stage win, at least
SS12: I overestimated myself... I really dont know what brake means when I am out of racing mood :D

ok, rally is behind me and I see myself last... no, really and serious, this was my deepest bottom and the only thing I can do now is to jump higher, lower I cant get now... the car is big change, I didnt test it properly from my Škoda change... but as I cant fight in team challenge, I only want to score overall once to keep myself up in Grade 1 and next season, I will jump to WRC... or maybe even this season, to test them, who knows... But better to forget this round now

It was well varied and chosen, very demanding rally... for sure it tested each drivers skill properly :) thanks to all participants

After my 2,5 rund through the rally (with the half on sadly being the one that counts towards the championship) I can summarize a little.

1 - I now remember why I do not drive this kind of WRC more than I have to
2 - Mixmod is slippery as soap :tongue:
3 - Snowmod on original snow stages gives concrete walls at the bottom of the snowbanks
4 - The Peugeot 306 S16 is a funny animal on the flowing stages :)

Enjoyed myself a lot, and will propably scrap the WRC for a S2000 for the remainder of the season. Thanks to all the organizing crew for...well...organizing :) Norman - when it all is summarized, can you give me a hint on where I would finish on my two extra runs? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes