RDRC S3 Round 1 - Rally of Norway (16 Jul - 20 Jul)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that what the deal was with the cement snowbanks?

As Troy can attest to, I was whining about this all night... I could not figure out if it was the car, or if it was a change, or what...

Really annoying as I felt like I was playing the game "Operation" with my car, any small amount of touching the bank would completely unsettle the car. At one point I tried tall and soft suspension, all that accomplished was several near rolls.

Really destroys the great risk those stages had if you cut, large rocks waiting for you in the banks. Now it is just don't cut ever, not even where there is no bank, there is still a large curb there.

I didn't notice any of this on the Snow Stages, and certainly not any change after the Update. :confused::confused::confused:
Of course, the last three Stages were very different, with the Mixed Mod the snow banks were icy and harder, but Rick had already warned us about that in the briefing note, and it was very obvious from a practice run.

In the Changelog with the RSRBR Update 06, there was no mention of changing any of the Stage parameters, that I can remember. :confused:

I didn't notice any of this on the Snow Stages, and certainly not any change after the Update. :confused::confused::confused:
Of course, the last three Stages were very different, with the Mixed Mod the snow banks were icy and harder, but Rick had already warned us about that in the briefing note, and it was very obvious from a practice run.

In the Changelog with the RSRBR Update 06, there was no mention of changing any of the Stage parameters, that I can remember. :confused:

Interesting...

I found the mix mod snowbanks soft and pillowy compared to the snowbanks on Finland normal. Anytime I touched a bank it was like jumping a curb, and once when I was at speed it almost rolled the car it was that violent. Even in the sections that had no bank, going off the road surface had the same effect. It was really frustrating, and I have not experienced anything like it on these stages.

I will do some testing if I get a chance, perhaps next week.

I found the mix mod snowbanks soft and pillowy compared to the snowbanks on Finland normal. Anytime I touched a bank it was like jumping a curb, and once when I was at speed it almost rolled the car it was that violent. Even in the sections that had no bank, going off the road surface had the same effect.

Very strange Aaron, and completely the opposite to my experience. :confused:
Also, discussing the Mixed Mod vs Snow Mod with the other guys over TS last night, they were getting the same experience as me.

Rally was over before it really started.... Determined to just finish the first stage with no problems i promptly smashed it in to a post a mile in to the stage and had to finish the stage stuck in 2nd gear. Stages 2 & 3 I had to run with a broken gearbox which would now shift but gave no drive. Found that if I shifted quickly between the gears it at least gave a small amount of forward motion so dropping a few minutes on each of the stages I got it to the finish.
After that things went pretty well, no more accidents or CFH's. 1 half spin on stage 7 lost a few seconds but generally I think it went quite well with hopefully some reasonable stage times to show for it.
Couldn't quite keep it clean to the end though, last stage had a massive roll and redesigned the suspension and lost the brakes. Limped it home but must have lost over a minute again.
All in all.... wow i think is the word! What a way to kick of the season, I can honestly say I only hope it doesn't get any harder than this! Mlynky in the dark had me scared for my life, Pribram was a beast with it's rough sections and the last 3 stages on mix mod were devoid of anything resembling grip!!! Fantastic set of stages, really testing and great fun when you got it right, thanks to the organisers.

A note on the mix mod, when i did a couple of test runs offline i swear there was substantially more grip than when running the online session. Anyone else think the same?

My replays http://www.mediafire.com/?w0ybn745dx75wbw

Roll on round 2 and grats to the fastest whoever you may be and well done to anyone that took part!

I'm the same as Warren; everything felt normal and I've not seen any patch notes affecting this area in any recent updates. Hmmm.

US4, the final session takes place whilst I'm asleep, but provisional results should be available no later than 09:00 GMT. :thumb:

I did notice a difference with all snow banks, but nothing that really hindered me, I actually preferred them like this.
Anyway, Could be just the Snow and Mix Mod, not necessarily any updates.

At the end of the race,I only have to report one error n ss8 when I have hitted some people...it was a good race for me,I wait for the results now!Thank you all for this fantastic rally!

Provisional results have been posted here.

There's a full results table as well as an individual table for each class.
Stage wins are highlighted in yellow.
Click any image to see it full size.

Gratz to everyone who participated. :)

edit: for Roy, since the data was still available:

EU4, Skoda Fabia S2000 Evo2, Roy Magnes, 59:57.08
OC4, Peugeot 306 S16, Roy Magnes, 61:16.91

Is that what the deal was with the cement snowbanks?

As Troy can attest to, I was whining about this all night... I could not figure out if it was the car, or if it was a change, or what...

Really annoying as I felt like I was playing the game "Operation" with my car, any small amount of touching the bank would completely unsettle the car. At one point I tried tall and soft suspension, all that accomplished was several near rolls.

Really destroys the great risk those stages had if you cut, large rocks waiting for you in the banks. Now it is just don't cut ever, not even where there is no bank, there is still a large curb there.

Aaron is right. We were using Snow Mod - it makes the banks more solid. Personally I find it very good, as finally you are not tempted/allowed to go through the banks and just clip 'em instead at some places, which in turn tends to nicely fling your car into the air a bit. Loved that, my N11 was bouncing all over the place on the Finnish stages :D

With that run in the Peugeot 306 in N3 I would hvave finished 7th overall :tongue: Thanks, Norman, now I know what car/class to go in the remainder of the season :)
About the snowbanks - with my racing-style-apexes, sniffing the inside of the corners, I was thrown off line an awful lot :tongue: And being too dumb to be able to change my driving style, I kept on doing this throughout the event in the Skoda :tongue:

A fantastic result for the JME team

5 of the 7 JME drivers entered took a great result. Only Jakub and Myself suffered with mistakes (me) and technical issues (Jakub).

Simone Demi - 1st outright/1st Production cup - GREAT result mate.

Daniel Tonsberg - WOW, 1st Rookie and 16th outright. SUPER!!!!!! (the bad news is you also finished inside the top 5 grade 2 drivers, start selecting a new car mate, you're grade 2 now)

Pete Mull - 2nd in J-RDRC. The old dog still has it;)

Norman Bruce - 2nd Rookie and a solid effort. No retirements. Great result for your first rally RDRC event.

William Tringas - 3rd J-RDRC. This will mean JME-S1600 will be in a great position for the Teams Championship. Again, no retirements.

Well done team.

Congratulations Simone, great result, especially in a Production Class car.
Well done to Mark for second too.

Grats to the podiums in each Class, well done in a tough first round.

Quite interesting to see 5 Production cars in the top 8, goes to show that extra power is not always an advantage in Rallying. No doubt these Stages suited the smaller and more nimble cars, and the WRC cars couldn't put all their power to the ground.

Some great times posted here by many drivers, and clearly some were unlucky too with crashes or PC issues. I must say it is a lot more interesting this season seeing so many drivers scattered across a wide variety of cars and classes. Looks good for an interesting season.

Huge thanks to Norman for the mamoth job in setting the Server and compiling the results. :thanks:

Good Lord, are we outnumbered in Gp. N cars this season or what? :D I'm gonna blame the difference in pace on the bulkiness of the Impreza, but overall I can't complain too much - spun quite a few times throughout the event (especially the gravel section was a tad problematic, really struggled there, frustrated by the fact that I haven't checked it out beforehand), also crashed it twice on Pribram (nothing like flinging the car into someone's fence, destroying the FR wheelhub ;)).

All in all I had MAD fun. Enjoyed the N11 thoroughly, I love the new system allowing the faster folk to run in Production. And, as we clearly see, many of us are using the opportunity to do so :). Simone is a killer in S2000, we better get a good driver in a WRC or he's going to grap the title - how'd that make us look like? :D

Congrats to all who started, especially to the mad fast Australis guys. I'd lke to be less behind Warren for a change, but that's only up to me :D. Thanks to Rick and Norman (great new approach at the data manipulation) and to Senad in advance :).

See you next round. Imma try and practice a bit this time ;).

Congrats to the winners and podium finishers in each class. Well done Warren and Jeremy in production Cup with both of you on the podium for Team Terror Australis A.

Is there a link to the team points standings some where I can have a look at?

Cheers Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play