RDRC S2 - Round 4 - Ulster Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doh, I am so used to having my car automatically chosen that I completely forgot to choose the correct car. I was at work late, so did not have time to warmup like I normally do, and did not catch that I was in a 130hp FWD car :)

Still ran the rally mostly because I like the color red next to my name, but also used it to work out a bumpy tarmac setup for the car I ran with since I will be using it a lot his year I think.

Short rally report.

ss1 my handbrake wouldn't disengage for a few sec after each use, wtf??
ss2 1st crash, susp. broken
ss3 2nd crash, CFH, radiator broken and gearbox stuck in 4th
ss4 radiator repaired ( ? ) and gearbox stuck in 1st ( ? ), managed to finish

ss5 2x crashed
ss6 roll and brick wall examination
ss7 killed a photographer

ss8 big spin
ss9 head on with a tree, CFH, gearbox slipping like hell
ss10 2x off, car stays alive to the end with that gearbox

ss11 just 1 spin & 1 photographer killed
ss12 roll and CFH
ss13 the only stage without spin
ss14 stoled the engine at 1 of those hairpins

One to forget. But managed not to have any DNF, that was my goal for tonight and i,m happy about that. I did not quite any stages even with my car in really bad shape. Once i started, i was determinant to finish, whatever the outcome.
I can see that the secret to do well in this round was car setup and more importantly, knowledge and practice.

Still don't like the tarmac in RBR.

@ Dariusz....so no dramas for this rally then...lol

you are right ,setup plays an important part of this rally.I tuned my car but not enough so still had problems with the bumps.Good experience for next season.

I didn't think it was too bad at all, pretty straightforward IMO. Only need one setup needed (bumpy tarmac), no weather. Tarmac is tricky because you can push a bit more, making the margins of error greater.

Yup, had to restart, came in 1 minute before the start :)

Started badly though, had to reverse on RSI, then got stuck on SS2. Took half a minute to try and reverse from a ditch, and THEN I graze a spectator, and lose more time for killing him...

Anyway, very scary, should've practiced :D

Well, Chirdonhead was a disaster :eek:
Aw, crap, I thought this was the last one before the service. But it's the first one after it! Car damaged badly...

SS9 - Tanner II, was the best stage for me, no mistakes, nice slides, very pleased with it.

SS10 - Pirka Menoko, lost the brakes early on, had to retire...

SS11 - Chirdonhead II. I knew I should take it slow, but I just can't not floor it. Don't know where the bumps are = massive offs again, car damaged badly again, so I retired, so I can get a shiny new one for the last 3 stages.

Done. Bad result, as usual, but it was a fun one.

Thought it would be much worse, but tarmac England was pretty nice and scary and unpredictable. Japan was easy. In my Group N car though, not sure about the grownups in WRC cars :D

Well, that was a mixed bag!
I had some really good times (for me), some very close calls, and a number of stupid, stupid mistakes. I'm happy overall though; it was a good fun event, the rough tarmac was a lot more entertaining and driveable than I thought it was going to be.
Thanks to the organising team for the event.

Well all I can say is I hope you get on the podium Eddie, GREAT times in there I think.

The night didn't start well with my connection not being able to keep up with teamspeak (Damien and Warren siad I sounded like a transformer)

SS1 - Clean but not fast, beaten by Eddie witch set the tone for the rest of the night.
SS2 - Going really well until the river crossing near the end. was 1mm to far right going in, slide and ended up on my roof. CHF, dropped about 30secs
SS3 & 4 - I don't like Tanner and Pirko in either gravel or tarmac. spun on both, but at least didn't drop TOO much time.
SS4 - was going well again untill going over the jump on the long straight about half way through. Again only about 1mm off line but it was enough to go into the next coner backward. VERY lucky I only broken the windscreen and had to turn around.
SS5 - ok..............i was suprised.
SS6 - Dropped the ball again and spun twice.
HAlf way through and I'm 48 secs off Eddie, and about 14 behind Damien with Warren between us. Time to attack.

The rest of the event was really good for me. A couple of stage wins (in OC at least) and no mistakes. Eddie was just on fire though. Fought my way past Damien and Warren but ended up 1:03 behind Eddie.

Over all I had a blast. Very difficult and challenging stages but I really enjoyed Chirdon, Falston and Shep in Tarmac. Congrats to the organisers for an AMAZING event...............................oh wait, thats me;)

Next season might see a couple of these stages dropped or swapped but over all i think this event could be one to enjoy again. Thanks to everyone that turned up and we look forward to seeing how the times stack up.

Overall, I didn't find this Rally to be as bad as I thought it might be. It was certainly different, and very challenging on some of the Stages.
I also had a very mixed bag, only made a few mistakes but two of them cost me heaps.
The first 4 Stages went ok, took it fairly safely to look after the car. The pit crew didn't have much work to do after this group.
Next set of Stages were the killers. I bounced off the track at high speed on Chirdonhead II, rolling multiple times into the jungle. After a CFH, the car was a mess, with the steering vibrating so badly that the wheel felt like it would wobbble of my desk.
Sadly I had to drive like that for the next two Stages, resulting in another high speed crash into the jungle on Shepherds Shield II, and another CFH.
I somehow made it to the service park for some badly needed repairs. The crew had to virtually rebuild the poor Suby.

The third set of Stages got off to another horrible start, this time just my own stupid lack of concentration. I completely missed a fast blind right hander (even though the co-driver called it) and again disappeared waaaay off into the wilderness. Another CFH, and another damaged car for two more Stages.

The final set of Stages went ok (except for hitting one of those big round things on the last stage), but I'd already blown any chance of scoring a point by then.

Grats to Eddie for winning our OC session. :thumb:

Whilst I'm not a lover of some of these stages with Tarmac mod, it was still interesting, and I think I have learned a bit about setting up the car to minimise the pogo stick bouncing that often occurs in some Stages.

Thanks to Rick and his team for organising.

I bounced off the track at high speed on Chirdonhead II, rolling multiple times into the jungle. After a CFH, the car was a mess, with the steering vibrating so badly that the wheel felt like it would wobbble of my desk.
Sadly I had to drive like that for the next two Stages, resulting in another high speed crash into the jungle on Shepherds Shield II, and another CFH.

Exactly the same for me :D. If I grabbed the wheel more firmly, the rest of the desk started shaking, LOL. And that was going on for 3 stages...

I bounced off the track at high speed on Chirdonhead II, rolling multiple times into the jungle. After a CFH, the car was a mess, with the steering vibrating so badly that the wheel felt like it would wobbble of my desk.

i`ve also had this before, but my Fanatec wheel can be adjusted while in game so i made a profile with 0 FFB so i can still drive without causing a earthquake :)

I used a bumpy tarmac setting for the first two stages-then realized immediately it wouldnt cut it on the England stages so went to essentially a gravel setup, which was a bit willowy but did the trick. The bumpry tarmac was great for Pirka Menoko.

I agree-the right setup was important to get it right. Not a good rally to come into blind, and that is why the stages are posted weeks beforehand.

Luck to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play