Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Peter, if you have the Unlock all cars.. you're car is free, and I raced for about 30 mins in Career and made enough to buy the Challenger and the upgrades. The cool thing about the upgrades on this game is you can try all sorts of stuff if you like. If you don't use it you can sell it back at the same price to which you paid. So you don't lose any money experimenting in the search of finding that perfect combination of power and grip to top out Class C. Like Robert said its strategy and preference. Hell you could probably get away with a Transimission, Tires, and engine. Tuning the balance of the car with just tire pressures. I went the route of grip vs hp so I tuned my suspension and gearing to run the times I did. Robert brought up a very good point, and I may look at a few other variations later tonight.

I'm not hearing it this time. lol. Talk to the hand. There is no separation between offline and online money. and you can still get money if you play online in certain instances, but it's not needed. The upgrades to the stock car is nothing. And they probably do come from Bob's "Yank 'Em and Crank 'Em" salvage yard.
If only Grid used the same system of money for offline events we wouldn't have all those tuning \ non-tuning issues.

I'll have to try to get a handle on all this upgrading malarkey.. problem is I enjoy the time out on track too much and don't like spending precious track time in the garage. I've only been in the tuning section three or four times in total so far for that very reason.

Only the Modern Muscle that we're using in the Oval races. The GT1's and GT3's are all pretty much spec. But yeah, you can buy a Lambo and upgrade it to the moon for "fun runs" if you like.

You can upgrade you're car :O_o:

Like Mike said, not the GT1 and HT3 classes. And the oval cars will only be run three times. But we all have a cap of 999 for those upgrades, and no Peter, it's not a grind. lol. But it is interesting as to who chooses to upgrade what on the ovals. Tuning also will make much more of a difference, like in real life. I already got some good tios from mike about how stupid my upgrades were. (My words, not his...and it's true).

I built a Mustang Shelby GT500 (Modern Muscle) last night just for schitzengiggles. And it was just as fast as the Challenger with a few changes in upgrade buys. The setup was not yet fully "tweeked" so there may be more speed in it. But right now it's a couple of hundreths off my "tweeked" Challenger and it feels smoother around the Tri-oval.
So just to reiterate, these are Modern Muscle cars. You can choose from a Ford, Chevy, Dodge. They are all V8's and sound delightful to the ear. I highly recommend getting the semi-slicks first and starting from there. These cars can be upgraded well over into the B-Class but to keep things interesting we're only going to the top of C class (999 Performance Index). The GT1's, and GT3's are already set and only have to be tuned to your liking.

I'm nibbling a bit at the timesheet, but still struggling. The regular cockpit view is static, which has helped. Not sure how i ended up on the helmet cam the first two days i tried this game.

You guys are not buying extra things for these cars right? Just tuning?

I built a Mustang Shelby GT500 (Modern Muscle) last night just for schitzengiggles. And it was just as fast as the Challenger with a few changes in upgrade buys. The setup was not yet fully "tweeked" so there may be more speed in it. But right now it's a couple of hundreths off my "tweeked" Challenger and it feels smoother around the Tri-oval.
So just to reiterate, these are Modern Muscle cars. You can choose from a Ford, Chevy, Dodge. They are all V8's and sound delightful to the ear. I highly recommend getting the semi-slicks first and starting from there. These cars can be upgraded well over into the B-Class but to keep things interesting we're only going to the top of C class (999 Performance Index). The GT1's, and GT3's are already set and only have to be tuned to your liking.
Interesting stuff Michael :thumbsup:
I had my first delve into the upgrading and tuning of the Dodge for Hazyview last night, just bolted on the slicks and upgraded the suspension to the race level for starters. Dropped my time down into the 14's so about 6/tenths imporvement over the pre-upgrade but now need to work on the tuning.

I would be interested in your thought processes for the upgrading and tuning of these cars for the ovals Michael. I used to drive the ovals quite a lot in Nascar and Indycar PC sims of the 90's but that didn't involve upgrading the cars but the setups were very in depth so I need to have a refresher course lol.

I'm nibbling a bit at the timesheet, but still struggling. The regular cockpit view is static, which has helped. Not sure how i ended up on the helmet cam the first two days i tried this game.

You guys are not buying extra things for these cars right? Just tuning?
Yes thats correct Karl, I think these cars are pretty much topped anyway but the tuning is completely open for everyone to do as they please to suit themselves. I have delved very lightly into them so far so I am looking to find some decent improvement when I do although not likely in time for this weekends race.

I took the Aston and Chevy for a spin at lunchtime and bought my time into the 15's with both. the Chevy gave me my best time to dat (1:15.3) with the default tune. I would really like to run the Aston here as it would be good to have a british car on the grid but although nice to drive it's the slowest of the bunch for me so far.. topping out at 1:15.9. I'll start messing around with the tuning next though to see what that brings me in terms of improvement (or not lol)

Yes thats correct Karl, I think these cars are pretty much topped anyway but the tuning is completely open for everyone to do as they please to suit themselves. I have delved very lightly into them so far so I am looking to find some decent improvement when I do although not likely in time for this weekends race.

I took the Aston and Chevy for a spin at lunchtime and bought my time into the 15's with both. the Chevy gave me my best time to dat (1:15.3) with the default tune. I would really like to run the Aston here as it would be good to have a british car on the grid but although nice to drive it's the slowest of the bunch for me so far.. topping out at 1:15.9. I'll start messing around with the tuning next though to see what that brings me in terms of improvement (or not lol)
I'm still in the 1:18s... i must be getting some corners wrong still. either braking too early/too much, or not getting on the throttle quick enough. it's frustrating not knowing where it is i'm losing the time.
Can you race other ppl's ghosts in this game?

I'm still in the 1:18s... i must be getting some corners wrong still. either braking too early/too much, or not getting on the throttle quick enough. it's frustrating not knowing where it is i'm losing the time.
Can you race other ppl's ghosts in this game?
No unfortunately not, you can't race any ghosts.

If you keep a record of your lap times (including sectors) I can post mine and then you can compare them and it would give you some idea of where you lose time in comparison to me. I suspect that you are not carrying as much speed through turn 1 and 2 as it is tempting to brake too early for the first and not carry as much speed as you can through the latter, especially on the exit which is pretty much flat out. Also, how are you on the final turn? That is one where you can gain a lot of time as it's a flat out corner for me but until you are confident through there you tend to take it far more gingerly.

If you keep a record of your lap times (including sectors) I can post mine and then you can compare them and it would give you some idea of where you lose time in comparison to me. I suspect that you are not carrying as much speed through turn 1 and 2 as it is tempting to brake too early for the first and not carry as much speed as you can through the latter, especially on the exit which is pretty much flat out. Also, how are you on the final turn? That is one where you can gain a lot of time as it's a flat out corner for me but until you are confident through there you tend to take it far more gingerly.
I think i drop down into 3rd for Turn 1. Then up to 5th before dropping to 4th for Turn 2. Exit Turn 2 in 4th, up to 5th, then back down to 3rd for Turn 3 (uphill). 3rd gear through Turn 4. down to 3rd again (i think) for Turn 5, then accelerate up to 6th up to Turn 8. Drop to 5th just for the start of Turn 9 then down to 4th for the exit of Turn 9.
http://www.jimhayes.com/Tracks/WSIR/WSIR-4.jpg

Well Ideally you would like to be able to have indepentant tuning for each wheel. I used to could take a base setup in NASCAR and merely balance the car's grip with tire pressures alone. Since we don't have that I would use some really stick sway bars to make both sides of the car work since we are pretty much just turning left. Bars still work like anything else. Keep them equal for balance or stiffen the rear for oversteer off the corner. Soften the front bar for grip on entry and center of the corner. Too stiff and it will just slide up the track. Remember to keep the springs firm enough to keep the car from bottoming out. If the front hits the bump stops you will slide up in the corners. I like a bit more stiffer springs in the rear to make the car rotate especially on the tighter tracks. In a way its almost easier than road course racing because you only have a few turns and they are all left! There is telemetry for this game, just like in Forza with a quick flip of your directional button (HAHA Mine broke last night :mad:) during Tuning and Testing you can see the compression of your springs and whether or not you are hitting the bump stops. None of my setup's have me lower than 2 due to scraping. When you scrape it slides the front of the car up the track.

So I've got my :poop: wheel pulled apart and the circuit board sitting on my table. The 3 O'clock position on my directional pad broke last night throwing the :poop: wheel into craziness when in the tuning menu. I'm going to take it to a computer shop and see what my options are. I may just have to snip the contact on the board and play it that way. Very sad day..:cry: :( Fortunately I have tunes for every track, I just won't be able to improve on them. :thumbsdown::cry::mad:

best sector times ( cant put them all together though)
39.617 / 23.724 / 14.125 - potential 1:17.4
but my fastest lap atm is 1:17.8

its really annoying. the car just slides all over the track. it sucks.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back