Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

The same counter argument could be used though, other cars may not suit other drivers styles.. a bit like the tuning \ non-tuning issue in Grid I guess, some were able to tune so had that advantage over others that couldn't... I am not sure whether I would choose it as I like the Aston which is much more stable and have yet to try the Corvette or other cars available but would be reluctant to outright ban it at this stage. It is the fastest car based on it's stats so it makes sense that it's programmed to be the fastest but that doesn't neccesarily mean it will be the best car over a race distance.

Well, since you have two votes, I have one, Boothy has -2 and Railer -1, your motion carries. lol.

fcuk im slow. 1:22.
no idea what to do.

i did figure one thing out that was screwing me over.... the look to apex in cockpit mode. I can't use it. and i can't turn it off. had to switch to the hood view as it doesn't "look to apex". When the game does that it gives me the visual effect that the car is already turning. it unsettles me before the corner/braking point/turn in.
If there is a way to turn this off i haven't found it.

I'm also having a really hard time feeling any difference when i change things in the set up of the car.

ugh.

Karl,
I was the same way with my car all over the place on the straights and then over/under steer in corners and even a few spins. I worked with Robert and got a base tune from him. He sent me this link:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/renown-tuning-unleashed-™.196236/
Hope that helps you sort your car out.
Was able to put in around 12 laps and finally think I got to 3rd on my friends list so knocked quite a few secs. off my time.
Karl, I will say it's bloody time consuming but man is it fun when all the stars align for ya.
Special thanks to Robert for helping me get my steering sorted, and the car too.

no idea what to do.

i did figure one thing out that was screwing me over.... the look to apex in cockpit mode. I can't use it. and i can't turn it off. had to switch to the hood view as it doesn't "look to apex". When the game does that it gives me the visual effect that the car is already turning. it unsettles me before the corner/braking point/turn in.

I'm also having a really hard time feeling any difference when i change things in the set up of the car.

ugh.

Hey Karl:

This game is not easy and not what we are used to, but I guarantee you those settings work in the tuning section. The trick, for me at least, is this:
1. Get your wheel settings and in game "advanced settings" (hit gas pedal under "controller options" I think) to a point where they are comfortable, not perfect, for any car.
2. Tweak the base tune that is posted here: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/renown-tuning-unleashed-™.196236/.

So, for instance, my Corvette after I put in the base settings is a bit sluggish in the corners and I want more crispness. Well, the steering lock is like the big dial, and the Caster is like the fine tuning dial. Just read what they do on the screen. So the settings of Steering Lock - 21.00; Caster Angle - 9.00 were changed to 25/10 on my setup and it feels great. Many agree thatthe Corvette may be the most comfortable and stable of the GT1 cars. They are a handful, but nowhere NEAR the handful they are IRL, so it's fairly dead on (and yes, I have been in a 2008 GT1 Corvette on track), since the car is really America's version of a DTM car without all that FIA tinkering. Just brute power, classic sound, and no push to pass. lol.

I promise you, the GT3 cars are better, but I actually like the GT1 cars due to the challenge.

As far as the hemet view goes, I agree...it's a good effort, but distracting. Th "X" button toggles views, so just hit that until you get cockpit, which is what will be forced, unless you want to try helmet. If you can win with Helmet, you get an extra special prize.

Last edited:
no idea what to do.

ugh.

BTW, that's not slow for the first time. I had played this game for 100 hours back in 2011 and still was about in your range when I picked it up again. I really think anyone with a wheel is at a huge disadvantage. It's what companies do when they want to (or think they are) cater to the majority of console users and not race nuts who use a wheel. Wheel testing and config. is money and we all know they hate to spend more money than they have to (or than they have, in Codemasters' case with F1 2014), especially if they think it will not affect sales. In this case, it destroyed the game because the SIM community was hyped up about it, like pCARS. Only with pCARS, there are no corporate jackasses to get in the way.

I found this quote on one of the Forza5 forums. They are great at tuning and paiting! lol. So here is an excellent summary of spring vs. damper:

Also I forgot to mention about downforce . Yes you will get a peak from time to time on the inside of the tyre wall which is fine as this proves we have camber to carry us through the corner with the best footprint , like I said "I tune 90% for the nurburgring " so high downforce in most higher classes is needed thus giving you more pull down on the car and increasing the footprint on the track , which also has to be countered with tire pressure too, as the more downforce and pull down on the car the more the tire will sag out at the sides because of the pull down of the car from downforce this also has to be countered with tire pressure to compensate as the rims will bang out into the track as you hit bumps and dips and jumps . Most people don't realize this so they increase bump stiffness or springs thinking they are bottoming out but this is not case if you see on telemetry when running on the ring that the sprigs are going red at compression points this means you are bottoming out and need higher bump / stiffness or ride height to compensate , but if they stay green but you hear banging and the car jolts about this means the rims are hitting the track through the tires as the pressures are to low so need to be higher due to rim ground out this is compensated through pressure adjust .

Not sure if it translates to Shift2, but I thought it was interesting and may be applicable someday on next gen.

no idea what to do.

ugh.
I really like the helmet view but agree that it takes some getting used to. I have been racing in the static cockpit view more recently while getting used to the game but am wanting to go back to the helmet cam for a bit more realism.. yeah I know it’s not perfect but the extra movement brings a better sense of actually being in that car for me.

As Railer and Robert have said try out those Renowned Tuning settings but then tweak them for your own style. Using the setup they have for the Zonda R I was able to beat my best at Brands by about 1.3 seconds but the car is a bit too on the edge for me so I will make a few changes to settle it down to something I am more comfortable with even if it means losing a few tenths.

As Robert said hitting the X button toggles between all the available views unless you have re-mapped that button to something else. If it doesn’t work check the controller setup (under options at the main screen.. you can’t access it while in an event as far as I have seen) and check what buttons you have assigned to everything.

Regarding the banning of cars I have no particular issue with banning but of course we would have to make that across the board whenever a car is found to be faster than others. Although the goalpost on that is moving daily at the moment lol. Maybe we should just make it a series where only one car is available then there are no issues at all as everyone will be in the same boat.

I am happy to race any car but we need to know early so no one does any unneccesary running in a car that is then made unavailable.

Myself and Robert had a quick run out at Willow this morning… after a lot of messing about trying to get me into a lobby.. my connection woes continue to deteriorate it seems!! Both of us had the no FFB problem that Michael highlighted previously. I have never experienced it before so it was a first for me but made a mess of our race. After quitting out and starting again the same thing happened but after turning the wheel off and then on again FFB was back. However, it felt very muted to me.. far removed from what I had become used to in my offline sessions. Do you find this as well @Michael Watts ? I am not sure whether this is as a result of the strange non-FB issue or just a general problem with reduced FFB when online but either way it’s a real shame and certainly detracts from the experience. I am hoping it’s a one-off and things will be back to normal next time I am online but I’ll report back as and when that happens.

So it does mean that there will have to be a pace lap as Michael suggested to give us all a chance to check whether we have FFB or not and to reset our wheels to get it back (hopefully) This in turn does mean we will have to run with no AI in our races unless an alternative solution can be found as there will likely be carnage as they start racing while we are working out what’s going on with our wheels.

Peter, i have issues the Force Feedback offline as well. At least when I'm offline I just have to go to the pause menu and the FFB returns as normal. When me and Robert were running online, I was fine for few races but then it seemed like I was having to cycle my wheel almost every race online as we went.
On another note, I did testing last night and nailed down my set-ups for the oval closing in on Roberts times in a GT1 (1810) with the limited C-999 car. And just in-case the Masseratti was banned I took to another car to see if improving laps was possible. I don't think "I" personally could get all there is to get out of the Masseratti, but someone like Boothy is very good and can probably find more speed there.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 181 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.1%