Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

image.jpg
Rigged it with a piece of foam glued to the module

guess i better start practising this circuit at "dusk"..... ugh.

Oh my. Just take about 1-2 seconds off. No need to practice. lol.

The funny think about that was, for most of us it's harder, but when I turned "dusk" on for Railer he said "oh wow, I can see the track now." lol

White balance anyone?

Peter, I was lapping the Aston the same time as the Corvette, so it's a fast car and to my driving style it was very stable. Yeah it "feels" heavy but man will it handle.
I was running something like this. T1 in 4th, then 5th. T2 down to 4th but flat on throttle. T3 (uphill) in 5th down to 3rd. watch the crest stay right and my best speed over the crest to stay on track was high 60's. Over the crest into 4th and at times I could stay in 4th but you've got to use all the track. Best bet 3rd and no worries, then up to 5th and 6th. Slight downshift to 5th on entry to final turn. Very important to hit your marks here as you can lose lots of speed and time.
Karl, I think I was looking at high 1:06 to low 1:07 coming out of final corner if that helps.
I will be watching the back of your car for the few laps I can keep up with you during the race, as well as Peter's.

I might as well just record this one. It's actually more fun to watch, and I'm failing to comprehend how I'm 5 seconds off. It feels like I'm pushing harder than anywhere I've run. Maybe that's the problem?

I really think I need a new wheel, honestly, so you can consider me a invisible (I'll pull into the sand if I see people coming) until either I can afford one or pCARS comes out.

That's what I do.. I'm a technician for dental equipment. I've worked on everything from Army trucks to refrigeration, appliances, and computers. Sometimes you have to think outside the box if you absolutely have to get it fixed.

You fix tools for Dr. Megele? Not good. Those tools hurt people! :unsure: Seriously, if I see a machinery that does not work, I just kick it. Jeremy Clarkson is right...all you need is a hammer to fix most things.:roflmao:

Glad to see you have found some pace now @Karl Fuss I knew it wouldn’t take long :thumbsup: The Ford is certainly a very nice car to drive, very stable but with great speed and I find I can get on the power really early with it whch helps a great deal.

I put in another session last night of a dozen laps in the Ford and with a couple of slight adjustments to the gearing and caster found another half a second with a 1:13.421. I think I would have topped Michael’s 1:13.228 but for a tank slapper coming off the final corner but happy enough to have got so close.

Peter, I was lapping the Aston the same time as the Corvette, so it's a fast car and to my driving style it was very stable. Yeah it "feels" heavy but man will it handle.
I was running something like this. T1 in 4th, then 5th. T2 down to 4th but flat on throttle. T3 (uphill) in 5th down to 3rd. watch the crest stay right and my best speed over the crest to stay on track was high 60's. Over the crest into 4th and at times I could stay in 4th but you've got to use all the track. Best bet 3rd and no worries, then up to 5th and 6th. Slight downshift to 5th on entry to final turn. Very important to hit your marks here as you can lose lots of speed and time.
Karl, I think I was looking at high 1:06 to low 1:07 coming out of final corner if that helps.
I will be watching the back of your car for the few laps I can keep up with you during the race, as well as Peter's.

Thanks for the feedback Railer, good information there :thumbsup:

I love the Astons handling but it’s still about a second off the pace for me. I had another run in it this morning just to see if I was missing something and although I beat my previous best in it with a 1:14.9 and then a few laps later a 1:14.665 that’s 1.2 seconds off my best time in the Ford.

I go a gear lower for turn 1 (briefly) and the entry to turn 3 but then am pretty much as you say including the fast left-hander onto the long back curve. The final turn is huge for the lap and it’s such a great feeling when you hit it just right and flat out.

I don’t believe for one minute you’ll be watching the back of my car lol but if we can all achieve the same pace that we’ve shown in practice then it should be a belter :thumbsup:

I might as well just record this one. It's actually more fun to watch, and I'm failing to comprehend how I'm 5 seconds off. It feels like I'm pushing harder than anywhere I've run. Maybe that's the problem?

I really think I need a new wheel, honestly, so you can consider me a invisible (I'll pull into the sand if I see people coming) until either I can afford one or pCARS comes out.
The wheel must be hampering you badly Robert. There are so many very fast turns here that anything slightly off in your steering is going to kill your times. I'm finding that I can really push here to find those extra tenths and having a wheel you can trust is so important.

Some of the other tracks (after Laguna) may not be so dependant on the wheel. I had a run at a couple of the London tracks last night and the Whitehall Drive one in particular would probably be better for you as there are not many high speed turns and your wheel may not compromise you quite so much.

The funny think about that was, for most of us it's harder, but when I turned "dusk" on for Railer he said "oh wow, I can see the track now." lol

White balance anyone?
I love the dusk setting, that sun glare as you crest the hill is fantastic.... It's a shamje we can't run this track in reverse as well, that would be so much fun :)

Ok. Scratch that. Peter to the rescue. He advised the Ford strongly, and I took it. Got my time down to 1:15.022. WOW. Didn't think THAT would ever happen. I was only 0.2 off Railer. This should be interesting.

White balance anyone?
bwahahaha
the track is harder to see with dusk racing!?!?!?!
Although i didn't lose much time.

I'm noticing the more cars i drive the more different they are. I took the Ford out last night for a few 5 min sessions. It's easily 2 seconds faster than the Chevy, and i didn't really feel comfortable in it... the tuning needs work.
Maybe we should make everyone drive the same car for the next race......

Last edited:
bwahahaha
the track is harder to see with dusk racing!?!?!?!
Although i didn't lose much time.

I'm noticing the more cars i drive the more different they are. I took the Ford out last night for a few 5 min sessions. It's easily 2 seconds faster than the Chevy.
Maybe we should make everyone drive the same car for the next race......
Always good to have variety though ;)

Try the Maserati.. thats not as stable as the Ford but was lightening quick when we tried it earlier this week (or last....) so were rulling it out of the race. I think we all felt that car was much faster than the others but now the times in other cars have come down drastically.

Just had quick lunchtime run out with Robert and was inot the 1:13's again so online is looking the same as offline to me now :thumbsup: We also had a mistaken run out at the Horsethief mile (the other track here) and oh boy :confused: That one is tricky and needs some serious learning lol.

Well Ideally you would like to be able to have indepentant tuning for each wheel. I used to could take a base setup in NASCAR and merely balance the car's grip with tire pressures alone. Since we don't have that I would use some really stick sway bars to make both sides of the car work since we are pretty much just turning left. Bars still work like anything else. Keep them equal for balance or stiffen the rear for oversteer off the corner. Soften the front bar for grip on entry and center of the corner. Too stiff and it will just slide up the track. Remember to keep the springs firm enough to keep the car from bottoming out. If the front hits the bump stops you will slide up in the corners. I like a bit more stiffer springs in the rear to make the car rotate especially on the tighter tracks. In a way its almost easier than road course racing because you only have a few turns and they are all left! There is telemetry for this game, just like in Forza with a quick flip of your directional button (HAHA Mine broke last night :mad:) during Tuning and Testing you can see the compression of your springs and whether or not you are hitting the bump stops. None of my setup's have me lower than 2 due to scraping. When you scrape it slides the front of the car up the track.
Many thanks for that information Michael, Once we have Willow done and dusted I’ll get to work on some more in depth tuning of the car for the ovals. I was taking note of the telemetry when running some laps at Hazyview the other night and think there’s still some time to come off there for me with a few more upgrades and adjustments. Not sure what times are representative there but have been using your low 14 in the same car as my baseline.

Always good to have variety though ;)

Try the Maserati.. thats not as stable as the Ford but was lightening quick when we tried it earlier this week (or last....) so were rulling it out of the race. I think we all felt that car was much faster than the others but now the times in other cars have come down drastically.

Just had quick lunchtime run out with Robert and was inot the 1:13's again so online is looking the same as offline to me now :thumbsup: We also had a mistaken run out at the Horsethief mile (the other track here) and oh boy :confused: That one is tricky and needs some serious learning lol.
that was in the Ford?
If i have some time i'll work that car again tonight.... the tuning given from that site is pretty spongy.
I'm pretty comfortable in the Corvette, but it's slow.

Many thanks for that information Michael, Once we have Willow done and dusted I’ll get to work on some more in depth tuning of the car for the ovals. I was taking note of the telemetry when running some laps at Hazyview the other night and think there’s still some time to come off there for me with a few more upgrades and adjustments. Not sure what times are representative there but have been using your low 14 in the same car as my baseline.
this "telemetry" that you guys are talking about is just the live telemetry screen right? That shows the 4 tyres with some colour and a strange Peak number?
It's kinda not really that useful... or maybe i'm missing something.

that was in the Ford?
If i have some time i'll work that car again tonight.... the tuning given from that site is pretty spongy.
Yes that was in the Ford. I tried the Aston again earlier but can only get into the mid 1:14's with it so am sticking with the Ford now as it seems the best all round car at this track. I made a few changes to the tune from that site but not to the springs.. in fact I went with slightly softer front tyres which I found gave me some improvement.

that was in the Ford?

Peter, I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd share this with Karl since he's thinking about the Ford. My settings are a little different because of the :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: and :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: and :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I have to deal with that is not a 4 letter word but should be, and starts with F. But Karl is using he same wheel you are, so it may be right up his alley. It's hard to tell just how much juice it gave me, but more on that later.

And I think that everyone has pretty much proven that these cars are programmed equally, but have different characteristics, sort of like running uneven F1 but with all cars able to perform the same time in the same hands. In any case, here is Peter's setup, which I think was heavily based on the website, with a few tweaks.

Tires and Brakes

F. Tire Pressure - 42.00
R. Tire Pressure - 41.00
Brake Balance - 49.00
Brake Pressure - 11.00

Alignment

Steering Lock - 21.00
Caster Angle - 10.00
F. Toe Angle - 21.00
R. Toe Angle - 21.00
F. Camber - 27.00
R. Camber - 31.00

Stance

F. Ride Height - 3.00
R. Ride Height - 3.00

Differential

L. Slip Acceleration Lock - 5.00
L. Slip Decceleration Lock - 7.00
L. Slip Preload - 0.00
Visco Electronic Lock - N/A

Aerodynamics

F. Downforce - 10.00
R. Downforce - 10.00

Springs

F. Sway Bar - 6.00
R. Sway Bar - 3.00
F. Spring Rate - 1.00
R. Spring Rate - 2.00
F. Bump Stop - 2.00
R. Bump Stop - 2.00

Dampers

F. Damper Fast Bump - 2.00
F. Damper Slow Bump - 3.00
F. Damper Fast Rebound - 4.00
F. Damper Slow Rebound - 4.00
R. Damper Fast Bump - 2.00
R. Damper Slow Bump - 2.00
R. Damper Fast Rebound - 2.00
R. Damper Slow Rebound - 2.00

Drivetrain

Final - 2.00
1st - 2.00 [Actual: 8.44]
2nd - 2.00 [Actual: 6.00]
3rd - 2.00 [Actual: 4.69]
4th - 2.00 [Actual: 3.80]
5th - 3.00 [Actual: 3.20]
6th - 2.00 [Actual: 2.41]
7th - N/A [Actual: N/A]

Yes that was in the Ford. I tried the Aston again earlier but can only get into the mid 1:14's with it so am sticking with the Ford now as it seems the best all round car at this track. I made a few changes to the tune from that site but not to the springs.. in fact I went with slightly softer front tyres which I found gave me some improvement.
maybe i'll try that.
I made the rear pressure the same as the front, which helped, but i'll try softer tonight.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 42 71.2%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Standard game content

• No 3pa registration pages