Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

So I've got my :poop: wheel pulled apart and the circuit board sitting on my table. The 3 O'clock position on my directional pad broke last night throwing the :poop: wheel into craziness when in the tuning menu. I'm going to take it to a computer shop and see what my options are. I may just have to snip the contact on the board and play it that way. Very sad day..:cry: :( Fortunately I have tunes for every track, I just won't be able to improve on them. :thumbsdown::cry::mad:

That really really sucks. I could give you my long sad story about dealing with Fanatec "Customer Service" (a German dude with an email) but it probably would not help out. Technically, their website and official documentation that comes with the wheel says it has a "two year" warrant, but you have voided it by opening it, which is probably better because they will do absolutely nothing but blame you. If it makes you feel any better, here is a list of my problems over the years.

1. Wheel one, out of the box, wiring issue of China-made pedals cause throttle to perform at 90%, which I didn't catch until I looked at telemetry months later. They refused to replace it because I made the mistake of telling them I unscrewed the cover to look at the wire. Interestingly, the throttle was not the issue, but the break, which was shorting, causing constant braking.

2 . Second pedal set, inside cog snapped in two when I pressed the accelerator. I decided to end around Fanatec and use the old pedal set parts to fix the first.

3. D-pad broken. It's constantly wilted down, so negotiating menus and changing telemetry in F1, for instance, is impossible. Had to tape it up and assign the "up" d-pad to nothing in all games.

4. Second pedal set...same wiring issue crops up again. luckily, I am more tech savy at this point and force the brake all the way stiff but still have to play with 15% deadzone on the brake in every game so the short in the brake will not affect the throttle.

5. One FFB motor breaks, mainly due to incredibly poor design of NASCAR '14. The FFB is brutal at any setting unless you just want to crash. Yet, the game is on the market and Fanatec is a supported wheel for it.

6. When a mic is plugged in, the wheel goes dead randomly.

You can choose from a Ford, Chevy, Dodge. They are all V8's and sound delightful to the ear. I highly recommend getting the semi-slicks first and starting from there. These cars can be upgraded well over into the B-Class but to keep things interesting we're only going to the top of C class (999 Performance Index). The GT1's, and GT3's are already set and only have to be tuned to your liking.

I'm not sure if you are taking about the league Michael, but there are only two oval cars to choose from in the league. They are posted on the league into page. I think it's the Chevy SS and the Dodge Challenger, but don't quote me on that.

Well at the inception of the Shift 2 league I didn't know that Ford had a modern muscle ( honestly I didn't even look). If its allowed that's fine, if not I'm ok with it, I'm running the Dodge anyway. I think as long as the cars meet the PI requirements all will be good in the spirit of competition. Except Boothy... he's limited to C-899 :p
As for the wheel I guess as long as I can make sure the 3 O'clock position isn't assigned to anything it will probably work. I can still change settings by moving the rim back and forth. This just pushes me towards the Xbone and a new wheel a bit quicker.
Amazon has the Thrustmaster for $100 off.

Well at the inception of the Shift 2 league I didn't know that Ford had a modern muscle ( honestly I didn't even look). If its allowed that's fine, if not I'm ok with it, I'm running the Dodge anyway. I think as long as the cars meet the PI requirements all will be good in the spirit of competition. Except Boothy... he's limited to C-899 :p
As for the wheel I guess as long as I can make sure the 3 O'clock position isn't assigned to anything it will probably work. I can still change settings by moving the rim back and forth. This just pushes me towards the Xbone and a new wheel a bit quicker.

I hear ya Mike, and I feel your pain. I really do. It's so frustrating and a fraud. If I had more motivation and money, I'd start a class action against those bastards in Federal Court. I think your solution will work. If you just get a small rubber band and wrap it around the d-pad stick to sort of hold it steady, and a little bit away from the bad position. Sadly, if you go on the web, there are literally thousands of videos with varying problems re: the CSR. I consider Fanatec a business that needs to be either bankrupted or, at least, shoved out of their cash cow, the U.S. Kudos to Microsoft (bash them all you want) for being a real tech firm and recognizing the German :poop: that is Fanatec.

Here is what mine did, basically, in less than a year:

I think we will just stick with the two cars now. It's simpler that way and they both seem to offer the look that is NASCAR. In the end, nobody will be able to tell anyway....they don't watch NASCAR.

Speaking of, I may have to start holding my nose and watching a few races instead of F1 (I can only think of a few I could stomach, which would be Talladega/Daytona, because it's always just a big charade and everyone knows it, but it's nail biting and dangerous. And the road courses, especially the Nationwide series, where you have actual road racers filling in many times on the road courses. Bristol used to be fun and RIR is my hometown, but the short tracks have become noting more than a crap shoot, with 1M variables and one constant -- NASCAR meddling in every facet of the race to get the crowd "pumped up". I remember when I first started watching in 1992, they would hardly ever throw a yellow, unless there was a big crash. And people would throw beer cans on the track and stuff. lol. A bit much, but it had its charm, and you really thought it was hardcore. Then they slowly started throwing yellows for things like "debris" which, in many cases, the T.V. cameras could not find. Sometimes, the yes men in the booth would point to a hot dog wrapper and say "oh yea, that thing could end a guy's race if it got stuck in the air ducts" and I'd just wince. Then they abandoned all pretense of racing and just threw cautions or no reason in order to bunch up the field and called them "competition cautions" -- their idea of a George Orwellian approach I guess.

The races back in the 70s -- the cars were much more dangerous, less reliable and the races were much longer. And they didn't have these idiotic "let's-have a restart so bubba can get his rocks off" mentality. They went from being possibly the most hardcore series on earth to being the most rigged and least respectful of their fans that made them big. I was one of those fans. I would take a lot for me to take NASCAR seriously again. They are one notch above the WWF, IMO.

NASCAR even forbids the T.V. cameras from showing the empty grandstands. lol. But as much as NASCAR, the governing body, has gone mad, the restrictor plate races, with their element of danger, cannot be made dull, and are possibly the most fearsome races on the planet outside of the Indy 500. And after the chase starts, I tune out completely. That's an utter joke. I'd love to see, just one year, the first guy who missed it score enough points to have won the Championship.

Oh, and I adored Bill Elliott because he always hung around Road Atlanta and was an old school racer. Chase has me thinking of those good old days.

wait. new best times....
38.804 / 23.590 / 14.027 - 1:16.421

Karl, this will go on and on. Yo will find new "ah ha" moments in this game constantly. It's not like the games we are used to. F1 has the tuning of, well, let's just admit it...it really doesn't have tuning. And the one thing that E.A. didn't screw us out of in this game is the tuning and the "feel" of being in a race car. It's like having to adjust to Autosport (with it being a bit too slidey and arcadey in general) placed in a PC SIM bag, because that's what Slightly Mad (pCARS) wanted to do from the get go. Codemasters has no such dream, although I hope that changes. As to the handling, the biggest issue you face as a result of the dumbing down process that E.A. imposed is the input lag:

Now, this is not as bad on your wheel because they calibrated the game to pad users and M/S Wheel users, as you can tell in the setup. But Logitech G27 Wheels and PC wheel were screwed and they were pissed, so they made mods, which helped a bit, but other games came along and everyone pretty much quit. But a few didn't give up. Fanatec users had an advantage in that they had extra settings on the wheel. Michael's times have gone through the roof after getting these right. Mine not so much, since I don't really have as much incentive with the One and all; plus I only have 1 of 2 FFB motors working and my wheel is **** and Fanatec can burn in hell. But I digress. It's very possible to enjoy the game.

Here is the key for you, I think...

1. Keep the **** away from the Maserati.
2, Consider the Aston or the Corvette, even if they are slower (which I think we are thinking not based on times). These cars are more stable and don't have as much jitter and control issues.
3. Test every setting on the "controler options" page (last tab on the options section), second screen (notice the dots up top) is where you want to be. It will have a bunch of slider settings (you have to move to it by pressing the gas pedal once on the tab). Don't worry too much about most of them except about 3-4. 1. Steering Sensitivity (big one) - I set mine to 80% but I have compensated in other ways. Best way to test is to do this in three trials (0-50-100) and see how the car feels different. Failing that, ask others with M/S wheels, like Peter. 2. Speed Sensitivity. 3. Degree of rotation (last two I think) and, of course, 4. FFB. Do the same test for each to really understand how they make the car handle differently. What you are trying to do here is basically quicken the steering response and deaden the center of the wheel at the same time. No easy task.

Then, in the car tuning section, the best two things to play with are on the second page of tunign options, up top. One is "Steering Lock" or something similar. This is critical and I usually default to 25. But it interacts with other settings, so yours may be different. Do the same tests with this. Right under it is Caster. You would not think this has much point, but if you can go higher, (with a higher setting elsewhere for more steering input) then your car calms down a bit on the straights. I usually default to 15-20. Then, there are other settings that can help, but to get the lag out, those are the most critical to me. I added some linearity even. I never do that. To compensate, I upped other settings, such as Steering Sensitivity. So, the balance goes on....

You will never get it perfect or even close to Autosport and F1, but many feel, as do I, you can get it just as good in a different way and then let the experience take over from there. The settings that Railer linked to are very good for the car, but for the steering, you have to experiment yourself. I'd ask Peter for a compete rundown of his settings for all of the above. Then try them out IN THE CORVETTE. lol. If you get comfortable in that car, you will be okay in the others. And I can't stress enough that the GT1 cars are the hardest to come to grips with, so don't give up. Many have given up on this game and failed to find a sweet spot that they could work with, then enjoy the other aspects, which blow away any other game on the 360, IMO. PC guys just gave up because they have far more options that are great from the start, but the fact that this was a PC game that got serious attention and modding tells you something. It's not F1...it's deeper and better, but with flaws. Some say fatal, but we are proving differently. When yo get that float out and the lag under control, all of the wonderful features come alive, like recording races, or watching them back, full telemetry, millions of track options, no money issues, and a "feel" that is as close to real racing on the 360 as I have seen.

issue 1 - i don't know this circuit.
issue 2 - the cars are all over the place down the straights. they seem very hard to control
issue 3 - the FFB is very basic and i'm not use to it (yet)
issue 4 - can i make tuning changes anywhere other than in the garage?
issue 5 - the number of tuning changes you can make are crazy.... i'm lost on some of them.

1. Nobody did. Yo have to learn it. But once you do, it's great. Like Brands surrounded by quicksand.
2. Some are. See above and check the speed sensitive steering in the options section.
3. Can't help you there. In fact, the fastest way you can play with game is w/o FFB. I have done it. My times were generally 3-5 secs. better.
4. No.
5. http://www.racelinecentral.com/RacingSetupGuide.html. This is basically a NASCAR tuning guide, but it's probably the best I have seen. If you can understand how to tune a car in NASCAR, tuning a road course car is easy. Just skip over the parts applicable to NASCAR like swaybar and independent wheel tuning and wedge adjustments. But the other stuff, like damping and springs and ARB is great.

I managed to get in about a half hour session last night and ran some laps in the Ford using the Renowned Tuning tune for the car and then another bunch of laps with a slight adjustment to the gears. Happy to get down to 1:14.281 in the first run of 12 laps but even more delighted with over 3/tenths improvement in the second stint with a 1:13.948 so closing in on Michael with that one ;)

The gears are still not quite right so more to test on that front next time :thumbsup:.

The Ford is quick but also quite stable I found.

Really loving this track and Robert was spot on with his comment about Brands with quicksand lol Go too wide and get your wheel on the sand and it sucks you in!! Favourite parts for me are the turn 2 loop with the flat out exit onto the short straight.. and then turn 3 / 4 which reminds me of the Laguna Seca corkscrew in reverse (try it…), I love how the car and wheel go light as you crest that blind right-hander into the sun. Tough corner to get right lap after lap but so much fun :inlove: Same with the turn 6, flat out over the crest again with the wheel going light and then blast down the straight.. great feeling :) In fact there is nothing about this track that I don’t enjoy!!

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Forum trophies