Cars Jaguar XJ13 1967 W.I.P.

So I'm adding a pool.

Because some people are saying that car is not enough perfect to them, too nervous, not easy enough. To me the physics are totally perfect, because the car isn't totally perfect dead AtoB which you can drive on the edge for a few hours while being half a sleep.

For me the car is super immersive, if anything - it could be just a little less wild under braking, but I like how it is, and wouldn't like to change anything.

@aphidgod i saw your post in official forum, that you already tinkered it a bit, I hope the changes are very minimal.

What do you think people ? Do you like current XJ physics ? I'm also counting on that most of the people don't like to be challenged too much, so lets vote a little and see.

I am not a great driver at all, in AC, but I don't see the point in making cars easy to drive :O_o:

The version I have of the XJ13 is perfect as it is, IMO. I like having to learn how to drive each car. I remember forcing myself to learn how to drive the 250F when that was released simply because I couldn't drive it (I still can't, very well). Same with tracks - flat straight tracks are easier to drive than twisty, elevation-changing tracks, but where's the fun? :)

@Fat-Alfie

I agreem I disagree that you are not a great driver :D, but I agree that cars should have character, even if it is some kind of issue making it difficult, but it is the whole thing trying to solve a problem. It was same to me with 250F it felt like it is floating above the ground at first, but lap after lap I got it. Though now Kunos made it easier with solid axle fix :D

@garyjpaterson It was a great feedback from you, I hope you'll find some time for it again :)

I wonder how many things it is possible to change and still have such a perfect, but not perfect XJ13 haha

Anyways, it is yours masterpiece, @aphidgod. You can make it even better if you want and can :)

I know sometimes cars handling depends on mood lol Sometimes a car just doesn't fit, and then next day it seems perfect.

Regarding physics, I think it's fine as it is. It's challenging and there's a learning curve, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It's more difficult than GT40 and 908 LH, that's true, but I like its distinct character. You need to be careful, especially on braking, but it's not like it wants to kill you on every opportunity. Please, don't make it easier just for the sake of it. If there's objectively wrong data, by all means fix it, but don't make it easier just because someone "feels" it should be easier.

Physics feel a little too tail-heavy. Certainly, if I may make the mistake of comparing to the Kunos GT40, an aluminum block 5 liter mid-engine car weighing 2200 lbs shouldn't have more inertia than an iron block 5 liter mid-engine weighing 2600 lbs.

There is a little more sensitivity in the engine backpressure than I'd call ideal as downshifting is a more nervous affair in the lower gears.

Aerodynamics seem about right. Stable in a straight line, light nose becoming evident by 120 mph.

Last edited:
Spent some time with it at Silverstone 67, as thats where I puts tons of laps in many months ago so its a good place to compare...

Yeah, no problems on my side. Literally feels exactly as it did ages ago just without the frustrating wandering under braking - which as I said earlier is a big thumbs up from me.

Is it easy to drive? No, but its not frustrating or unfairly difficult either. Its challenging, and therefore immensely satisfying when you string a proper lap together.

And I'm not really feeling this idea of it being too tail happy tbh; its very low grip with a lot of power - exactly what I'd expect! Sure, I lost the rear plenty times under braking, but its softly sprung with a lot of load on the front - the rears are always searching for traction in this phase - no problem with the car, only the driver.

I did find my laptimes were a fair chunk slower than previously, but again thats not a complaint, just an observation. It could be me not being very quick anymore, plus I didn't spend nearly as much time on it, or it could be the car.

So yeah, in summary; Great job boys :)

@Emery IIRIC (I'm not a physics guy) XJ13 has more rearwards weight distribution. As for engine braking, could be... but we assume V12 produces more engine braking, but honestly I'm not totally sure about that, but it feels right to me, perhaps could be just a few NM less, not much.

https://buildingthelegend.co.uk/2013/05/12/original-xj13-would-it-have-been-competitive/

@garyjpaterson Yes I think that it is slightly slower, or harder to get to the limit, just like it should be, it used to be slightly to easy to get to the limit IMO

I did quite a few laps around the Feldbergring this evening, and my only comment is that I found that I was losing the back end very easily under braking (even without downshifting) but this was rectified completely by moving the brake balance from 61% to 64%.

No problems losing the back end under acceleration, though - really quite predictable :)

Weird that you curred the back end by adding more braking force to the rear, must be because of elevations :)

I've just driven GT40 and XJ13 at Silverstone 67, and GT40 seemed to punch harder with engine braking.

Gotta try your track, can't wait for it, it is such a nasty layout !

Weird that you curred the back end by adding more braking force to the rear, must be because of elevations :)

I've just driven GT40 and XJ13 at Silverstone 67, and GT40 seemed to punch harder with engine braking.

Gotta try your track, can't wait for it, it is such a nasty layout !
From 61% to 64% would be moving it forwards though, unless this mod works different to Kunos cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back