PC2 Have Your Say: Project CARS 2 Three Months On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Have  Your Say.jpg

Project CARS 2 released across PC and console platforms back on the 22nd September to mixed reviews, now three months and a couple of patches we want you to 'Have Your Say'...

The latest racing title from Slightly Mad Studios continues to divide opinion throughout the sim racing community, often mixing the sublime with the ridiculous in equal measure as it constantly strives to achieve the lofty ideals set forth by an aggressive pre release marketing campaign.

Shipping in a sub optimal state and having since been in receipt of a sizable updates, the question for today is:

How do you feel Project CARS 2 has progressed since release day, and what are your impressions of the game now?

Have fun, stay respectful and enjoy the weekend!

PCars 2 seems for some to be the game to hate. And there seem to be quite a numer of haters out there ....
Have done a bit of performance driving myself, I find it quite enjoyable, love the atmosphere it creates and really enjoy driving the cars that I did so far.
It would have been very interesting if one could match up the actual driving experience of the lovers and haters - do they really have experienced high speed aquaplaning, the effect of left foot braking, balancing between over and understeer on the limit, etc, etc.
If you take into consideration what PCars 2 to offers as a game - yes there is a lot of rough edges, but it offers quite a complete experience.
If you really want to experience nice crash effects - racing is about having a good time / winning, whilst staying out of trouble ...... maybe you should rather play Wreckfest or any of it's related titles.
We all enjoy playing a game because you are supposed to feel good / better / less stressed after a hard working day - therefore all games will be different things to different people. Subconciously we like the games more that make us look better ....
I also enjoy R3E, Assotto Corsa and Automobilista tremendously, and they also have their irritations.
Maybe we should all pause and take a look how racing games evolved over the years, and as I said before - take a bit of time to applaud all game developers for what they have been trying to do over these years.

PCars 2 seems for some to be the game to hate. And there seem to be quite a numer of haters out there ....
Have done a bit of performance driving myself, I find it quite enjoyable, love the atmosphere it creates and really enjoy driving the cars that I did so far.
It would have been very interesting if one could match up the actual driving experience of the lovers and haters - do they really have experienced high speed aquaplaning, the effect of left foot braking, balancing between over and understeer on the limit, etc, etc.
If you take into consideration what PCars 2 to offers as a game - yes there is a lot of rough edges, but it offers quite a complete experience.
If you really want to experience nice crash effects - racing is about having a good time / winning, whilst staying out of trouble ...... maybe you should rather play Wreckfest or any of it's related titles.
We all enjoy playing a game because you are supposed to feel good / better / less stressed after a hard working day - therefore all games will be different things to different people. Subconciously we like the games more that make us look better ....
I also enjoy R3E, Assotto Corsa and Automobilista tremendously, and they also have their irritations.
Maybe we should all pause and take a look how racing games evolved over the years, and as I said before - take a bit of time to applaud all game developers for what they have been trying to do over these years.

Not 'haters' customers..... a customer with a criticism is only a 'hater' to a fanboy....

The thread says "have your say". Quite why the official PCars /SMS fanbots are trying to disrupt and derail people having their say say a lot more about them than normal customers....

Last edited:
The problem with your argument is that these sims don't ask us to pay full price every two years for patches and that features a great but when they are half baked like with both project cars what use are they?
I'd rather drive in the dry during the middle of the day when most motorsport happens anyway and have it actually work.

Lets see how great the SMS business model looks when nobody will touch Project Cars 3 with a 10 foot pole.

People would riot if they would ask full price for features since they technically still in beta and unfinished. Pcars at least marketed as a full game.

And I don't know man. But if you want to keep up with the contents in raceroom you are going to pay much more than a full priced game.

You will probably pay much more in rfactor 2 too within 2 years. Given how they priced their first two dlc. I mean really 8 euro for a ~1.2km track. I know I know you can pay 9 euro for the unfinished track and unfinished car too.

Im no hater, i purchased the game and the quality of the game means that i can't jump into it. There's far too much wrong with it, ill say it again if they had half the content it would be a striggle to optimise the AI and the quality of each vehicle.

You cant have this much variation and keep quality level consistent one of the reasons more people play AC is brcause it started out with a small amount of well tested content and they drip fed us more well tested content, on top of that lets not forget the AI patches improved tyre models it took years to get to this standard.

Pcars2 said here we go heres everything that you will ever need threw it together and crossed there fingers can you imagine the testing?? There's literally thousands of combinations, how can it be tested properly?

Last edited:
Three months later I still have more fun playing other racing titles.
The game feels inconsistent in too many aspects and there are some things that really annoy me.
It's since the time of pCars 1 development that people ask for the option to hide the arms of the driver and not the wheel: I'm still waiting and I came to the conclusion that they don't know how to do this.
The gamepad steering has a deadzone even when this is turned off in the options. The steering angle is too low with some cars. The vibration is very weak. The control is not direct like the other pc sims.
Another thing that bugs me is the fact that I can't have an open practice with the AI on the track. The practice mode is only private and this sucks. I don't like racing against the AI and I avoid the online racing because I don't have wheel and pedals. So the open practice mode of RF2 and the trackday multiplayer mode of Assetto Corsa are a great way to replicate a real life track day experience, without having the problem of the AI mistakes or the worry of ruining the race to someone. This is a feature that I really miss in pCars 2.
And more...
I don't how it is with a motion rig and VR (I imagine it is great), but with a single screen and a gamepad it's not the best of the pack.

I still don't have PC2, but reading your comment, it seems like an EASY thing to solve, your issues:

1 - Devs should have a thorough look at the lines Jack Spades changed to see if they can do even better.
2 - it sounds not so difficult the implementation of unlimited rotation
(Do you use the stick to rotate the steering wheel like a real wheel? Because when I use pad in racing games, I just use the horizontal movement of the stick, from left to right)

I though the main concerns were focused on AI and then on FFB.

And once again I repeat:
Let's create a Race Department official thread on their forum, so we bring to them effective feedback to work on and I guess many people would benefit from this.
My two cents.

When I'll get next payment from PC1, I guess I will give it a try. The more patches they make, the better.

i sorry to say this, but there's no option in game, outside the game, on the windows or steam, that gives you full lock. I drive exactly like you described, the option simple isn't there. at. all. plug a pad, 100º arcade from the start in every car. By god, if you find the solution, by all means tell us all :) but i did search it, came out with nothing.
ps. is not unlimited rotation, but the original full rotation of the car. a f1 have close to 360º, a ferrari more then 900º, etc.

Just to start off any person who expects a sim to drive well with 'Pad' is missing a shedload of neurones!
I'm happy enough with PC2, and there WILL be improvements sooner rather than later.
However, it is a GAME, and will never ever deliver (like any other game) a 'racing experience'.
If you want that then take your car or bike to a track day or club event, as I do.

Just to start off any person who expects a sim to drive well with 'Pad' is missing a shedload of neurones!
I'm happy enough with PC2, and there WILL be improvements sooner rather than later.
However, it is a GAME, and will never ever deliver (like any other game) a 'racing experience'.
If you want that then take your car or bike to a track day or club event, as I do.

ahhh, get of your high horse, no one with a pad expects that son.

But i had hope for a least one implementation that EVERY OTHER TITLE HAVE: the full wheel lock of each car. let me repeat: EVERY COMPETITOR TO THIS TITLE HAVE THAT IMPLEMENTED and YES, the majority of then PROVIDES A GOOD RACING EXPERIENCE.. besides the great one and only SMS, of course

and touché to you too sr...

Lol....bunch of blokes driving around like Grandmas on a track day is nowhere near a 'racing experience"....lol...

Show me then.

Indy car not properly implemented despite big song and dance about it.
Rally X not properly implemented despite a big song and dance about it.
A triple A title still relying on Jack Spade FFS's to try to get some kind of half descent FFB.
Needing more and more patches.... patches...patches everywhere....
I could go on.

You and your ilk use RF2 and RRE to compare PCars 2 when really you should compare it to GT Sport and Forza.
You seem not to mention AC either..for me I'm not a massive fan of how kunos went about AC especially on consoles, but i can say for me the FFB and car feel in AC utterly destroys PCars 2....

So keep comparing it to 5 year old sims mate if it makes you feel better....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes