PC2 Have Your Say: Project CARS 2 Three Months On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Have  Your Say.jpg

Project CARS 2 released across PC and console platforms back on the 22nd September to mixed reviews, now three months and a couple of patches we want you to 'Have Your Say'...

The latest racing title from Slightly Mad Studios continues to divide opinion throughout the sim racing community, often mixing the sublime with the ridiculous in equal measure as it constantly strives to achieve the lofty ideals set forth by an aggressive pre release marketing campaign.

Shipping in a sub optimal state and having since been in receipt of a sizable updates, the question for today is:

How do you feel Project CARS 2 has progressed since release day, and what are your impressions of the game now?

Have fun, stay respectful and enjoy the weekend!

It depends what ones expect from racing game/sim,

I had 2 Cayman GT4 CS race yesterday and other then being bit weird on wet ( not that I could compare to real life ) it feelt good, AI was competitive and enough of a challenge for me, and no WTF moments,

yes, on Zolder for what ever reason they were much slower ( on the same settings) then on earlier tracks, which is still a shame that SMS didn't managed to balance this out

but to be fair, with this many cars on this many tracks, it takes lot of time to get it polished, when compared to few cars on few tracks

after that I played Forza and I turned it off with disappointment after 5 minutes, cars in there are just sliding all over the plate, no real sense of grip/lose of grip.

for me personally PC2 is close to being the best racing game out there, becasue it has lot of great stuff in it, that's still missing in some other titles

RF2 is certailly nowhere near as good, becasue it feels alpha stage with absolutely un-balanced visuals ( new stuff looks great, but oh boy some of the old stuff looks really bad)
AC feels good overall, but doesn't really have deeper career more, and yes I will say it again, weather progression and night :p
AMS is great for what it is, taking advantage of good GMOTOR engine, and many many years of polishing of that engine, but it's old looking and while the content is unique - which can be positive to many people - it can also be negative because simply you are missing lot of your favorite cars & tracks

so if you wanna ask, what would be my top sim/racing game,...
well, I think it's probably Gran Turismo Sport! :) physics is certaily realisic! visuals are second to none, proper racing series rules and all that, tracks that feel alive, and it's all so nicely polished ! also really good livery editor , something that was missing in a long long time

only downside to it is lack of content and as well as AC, nothing is dynamic :(

my dream racing game would be combination of

Gran Turismo Sport, PCARS2 and Assetto Corsa
GTS&PCARS for the visuals, overall presentation, car & track lists, weather, etc.
and AC for how smooth if feels - especially on gamepad - and the "ease and power" of modding ( when compared to other moddable titles)

I..its riddled with bugs and glitches for one...a triple A title!! Its not like RF2 or RACEROOM, its a AAA title man!

out of curiosity, can you name say 5 ? and I mean really glitches/bugs, not that I wish it was doing this and not that :)
just realyl curious since I don't recall experiencing anything lately, but mind you I don't have that much time to play and also don't do MP

The game is still pretty shambolic. The weather system doesn't work (snows far too much, inconsistent conditions across clients, AI can't handle it). The AI is still hopeless. The performance in vr is poor. The cars handling is very inconsistent - some are good, some not. It crashes *a lot*.

Also, one of the crew chief team is now banned from their forum for asking a question about directx 12. I've been threatened with a forum ban for agreeing with someone who expressed annoyance at the broken state of their APIs and complete lack of communication to third party developers.

Overall the game still has potential but SMS's hostile attitude to users and developers makes for a pretty toxic environment. Maybe they'll fix it but I've given up on it - both as a player and as a developer
Wow... You guys have created an even better sim racing experience for everyone. Asking about code to improve CrewChief (im guessing?) and getting banned for it is just a bad bad move.

Maybe they are jelly cuz you make the best spotter prog. :D

Also, one of the crew chief team is now banned from their forum for asking a question about directx 12. I've been threatened with a forum ban for agreeing with someone who expressed annoyance at the broken state of their APIs and complete lack of communication to third party developers.

I thought they publicly said that they are not going to officially support mods and stuff , so what did you expect?

Actually they said that they were going to support 3rd party app developers. So I didn't expect to get threatened with a ban for being frustrated at.the complete *lack* of support.

They also said they wanted me to work with them to improve their built in engineer - we had discussions and I signed the NDA. Then they just stopped talking to me - don't mind that they changed their plans but it would have been common courtesy to have at least told me.

So what I expected was that they'd take their API slightly seriously and support it. Which they haven't.

I've said it many times and nothing has changed since the release: pC2 has tons of features and on the paper it is probably the most complete racing sim for PC. The problem is that pretty much none of it features works properly or they are poorly implemented. This makes the game painfully mediocre product at best and outside of the beautiful visuals, it is actually a very shallow experience.

In some ways, the very same problem concerns pretty much every current racing sim. They seem to be in developement forever and lack in one area or another. The more I've fiddled with current games, the more I've started to think that it would be great to see again these focused sims with just one licensed series, like we had back in the day. It just seems so obvious that these sandbox type of games are too complex and more focused approach would also mean more polished end result. Although not the most realistic game out there and certainly not made by the smallest studio out there, F1 2017 was one example of nicely crafted package focusing on doing one thing only. F1 2017, and to a certain extent Dirt Rally, just leaves me craving more similar approach.

Although not the most realistic game out there and certainly not made by the smallest studio out there, F1 2017 was one example of nicely crafted package focusing on doing one thing only. F1 2017, and to a certain extent Dirt Rally, just leaves me craving more similar approach.
funny you should say that, F1 2017 was my first ever game I refunded, becasue on my system it was just so broken, crashed often, visually it was very blurred ( DOF or moblur?, force turning that off made the game not launch sometimes) , copmared to F1 2016 which was flawless on my machine

RF2 is certailly nowhere near as good, becasue it feels alpha stage with absolutely un-balanced visuals ( new stuff looks great, but oh boy some of the old stuff looks really bad)

Please....so according to you rF2 is not as good as PC2 because PC2 LOOKS better? So looks are more important than physics and racing in a racing game? You're in the wrong genre m8,

Please....so according to you rF2 is not as good as PC2 because PC2 LOOKS better? So looks are more important than physics and racing in a racing game? You're in the wrong genre m8,
if because of the look the game/sim looks un-finished ,then yes ( let alone the number of tracks, cars )

if you are all about physics, you should race in real life ;) I think you are in the wrong genre

if because of the look the game/sim looks un-finished ,then yes ( let alone the number of tracks, cars )

if you are all about physics, you should race in real life ;) I think you are in the wrong genre

Nevermind, didn't notice you said GT Sport is the best game and with realistic physics. You were being sarcastic, i get it now. Didn't realize your post was meant as a joke

Last edited:
Nevermind, didn't notice you said GT Sport is the best game and with realistic physics. You were being sarcastic, i get it know. Didn't realize your post was meant as a joke
realistic, not the MOST realistic, but reading and understanding the words are 2 separate skills

but anyhow, if you don't want to have civil conversation/argument, then it's better just not to have any
this is far from state of the art, and just as well as BAD phycis, it ruins experience for me and takes me out of it ;) if you don't have it the same way, you are lucky

rf2_370z_racinghard3.jpg

1.jpg

realistic, not the MOST realistic, but reading and understanding the words are 2 separate skills

but anyhow, if you don't want to have civil conversation/argument, then it's better just not to have any
this is far from state of the art, and just as well as BAD phycis, it ruins experience for me and takes me out of it ;) if you don't have it the same way, you are lucky

There's no argument to have with someone that praises PC2 and GT Sport over rF2, AMS and R3E and puts graphics on top of everything else in a racing title. Enjoy your games bruh :thumbsup:

with the updates and the file of fbb has improved a mogollon respect to 1 for me the best sim. Even as always ahy people and other sims and seem to pay for hablar badly I have a racing car and I know in the sense of adjustments the best only in rear trcción more configurations than any sim in the market. and if we hablamos of numbers it is the second most played only if we count pc but if we count all the platforms the number1, BY SOMETHING it will be the second sim more played.

View attachment 226751
Project CARS 2 released across PC and console platforms back on the 22nd September to mixed reviews, now three months and a couple of patches we want you to 'Have Your Say'...

The latest racing title from Slightly Mad Studios continues to divide opinion throughout the sim racing community, often mixing the sublime with the ridiculous in equal measure as it constantly strives to achieve the lofty ideals set forth by an aggressive pre release marketing campaign.

Shipping in a sub optimal state and having since been in receipt of a sizable updates, the question for today is:

How do you feel Project CARS 2 has progressed since release day, and what are your impressions of the game now?with the updates and the file of fbb has improved a mogollon respect to 1 for me the best sim. Even as always shy people and other sims and seem to pay for hablar badly I have a racing car and I know in the sense of adjustments the best only in rear trcción more configurations than any sim in the market. and if we hablamos of numbers it is the second most played only if we count pc but if we count all the platforms the number1, BY SOMETHING it will be the second sim more played.

Yep, reading through this thread, it looks exactly like I've expected it will when I clicked...:rolleyes:

SMS is a great contender for Milestones. They are at WRC 7 and still couldn't put a proper rally game together.

Milestone have had nothing to do with the WRC series for the past 4 years now. (And WRC 7 is actually pretty good, if it wasn't for some unfortunate technical issues/limitations, but that's obviously quite subjective.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%