PC2 Have Your Say: Project CARS 2 Three Months On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Have  Your Say.jpg

Project CARS 2 released across PC and console platforms back on the 22nd September to mixed reviews, now three months and a couple of patches we want you to 'Have Your Say'...

The latest racing title from Slightly Mad Studios continues to divide opinion throughout the sim racing community, often mixing the sublime with the ridiculous in equal measure as it constantly strives to achieve the lofty ideals set forth by an aggressive pre release marketing campaign.

Shipping in a sub optimal state and having since been in receipt of a sizable updates, the question for today is:

How do you feel Project CARS 2 has progressed since release day, and what are your impressions of the game now?

Have fun, stay respectful and enjoy the weekend!

The game is still pretty shambolic. The weather system doesn't work (snows far too much, inconsistent conditions across clients, AI can't handle it). The AI is still hopeless. The performance in vr is poor. The cars handling is very inconsistent - some are good, some not. It crashes *a lot*.

Also, one of the crew chief team is now banned from their forum for asking a question about directx 12. I've been threatened with a forum ban for agreeing with someone who expressed annoyance at the broken state of their APIs and complete lack of communication to third party developers.

Overall the game still has potential but SMS's hostile attitude to users and developers makes for a pretty toxic environment. Maybe they'll fix it but I've given up on it - both as a player and as a developer

And this, coming from the most respected individual developer of sim racing, it's quite a statement; most of us have enjoyed the quality of his work and seen he does it mostly, if not only, for love to the game and the sport

I play it, but I am not a high end user and also play all sims; hostile attitude towards developers trying to help is unacceptable

"Come on mate, get your act together", I would tell the PC2 team on working with TPDs

realistic, not the MOST realistic, but reading and understanding the words are 2 separate skills

but anyhow, if you don't want to have civil conversation/argument, then it's better just not to have any
this is far from state of the art, and just as well as BAD phycis, it ruins experience for me and takes me out of it ;) if you don't have it the same way, you are lucky

rf2_370z_racinghard3.jpg

1.jpg

please change your pc...:roflmao:
easy to choose old content ...:rolleyes:
now rf2 is>

And the physics of pc2 looks like a mario kart compared to rf2

SMS is a great contender for Milestones. They are at WRC 7 and still couldn't put a proper rally game together. Don't think Project Cars 7 going to be any different....
It's not Milestone by miles now. It's Kylotonn studios. You need to inform yourself better before you put all the blame on Milestone guys.
Although... who could blame you, it's quite popular sport these days... :unsure:
:D

I bought this game 3 days after release, I play it pretty often and have about 130+ hours logged, this game is pretty addicting, I have enjoyed it since day 1, while I wasn't too happy with the bugs and physics oddities, it was still fun to play, I've beaten the career and find it to be a fun career with some decent progression. The online multiplayer is hit or miss, you get put into one of two lobbies (generally), the first one being a well setup lobby with a decent amount of players who may not quite know what they are doing when it comes to racing, but are mindful of drivers around them, or the lobby where you get at least 2 people or kids who cut corners, will shunt you off the track when you pass them, will spin you when you get near them, reverse back onto the track instead of pulling back in even though there is a large runoff area, etc. But the game itself is fun to play and experiment with the cars, while I wish that there were some things that were in the game, it's nothing too critical to bash the game over imo. I feel like I got ever penny out of this game, now I'm waiting to see if/when any DLC's drop what they will bring.

Most complete series of cars and fantastic weather system. The bang for your buck is fantastic so far, but the polish is pretty poor. The latest update has now left cars smoking tires on every turn making you look like Ken Block. VR is decent, but it takes a lot of power to run this game.

I find the FFB pretty good. Not AMS level, but its up there....maybe 2nd favorite. I also have a DD wheel, so that makes a difference i'm sure.

This game has so much potential, but the lack of polish is pretty apparent and what's worse is how slow they are bringing patches online. I really do hope this becomes a benchmark sim, but my fear is they will get frustrated and go make a forza competitor next time.

As a PC user, i've never had any crashes or bug issues but i seem to be in the minority.

The main problem with pCars is that SMS released a full game.
Most of people around seems to love just "to be released soon..." games.

Raceroom 5 years later: still on DirectX9 (11 years after the release of DirectX 10) ... tyre pressure (nope)... night racing? nope... weather system? nope... but competing hard with iRacing... regarding the business model and costs...

rFactor2 4 years later: beta (or alpha) DirectX 11... one track per year (not finished...beta)... still struggling to present a decent UI... future? nobody knows for sure... starting to learn how to deal with raceroom business model.

But the problem is the sim nobody here seems to play, but is the primary target for haters. :rolleyes:

With Valve changing its policy about 'employees' reviewing games this time around PC2 had to go without the deception of thousands of WMD members posting 100% positive reviews prerelease claiming PC1 was a multi generational leap ahead of all the competition!! This time giving SMS and Ian Bell what they thoroughly deserve. A commercial flop.

3 months on SteamSpy shows 130k steam sales and Steamcharts showing almost half the users of Assetto Corsa... the people have spoken.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of aholes either.

Raceroom 5 years later: still on DirectX9 (11 years after the release of DirectX 10) ... tyre pressure (nope)... night racing? nope... weather system? nope... but competing hard with iRacing... regarding the business model and costs...

rFactor2 4 years later: beta (or alpha) DirectX 11... one track per year (not finished...beta)... still struggling to present a decent UI... future? nobody knows for sure... starting to learn how to deal with raceroom business model.

But the problem is the sim nobody here seems to play, but is the primary target for haters. :rolleyes:

The problem with your argument is that these sims don't ask us to pay full price every two years for patches and that features a great but when they are half baked like with both project cars what use are they?
I'd rather drive in the dry during the middle of the day when most motorsport happens anyway and have it actually work.

Lets see how great the SMS business model looks when nobody will touch Project Cars 3 with a 10 foot pole.

I watched crash compilations of this game on YouTube and the physics are horrible. Cars suddenly stop in their tracks when they should have continued rolling.

I wish more modders would support BeamNG.drive.

It depends what ones expect from racing game/sim,

I had 2 Cayman GT4 CS race yesterday and other then being bit weird on wet ( not that I could compare to real life ) it feelt good, AI was competitive and enough of a challenge for me, and no WTF moments,

yes, on Zolder for what ever reason they were much slower ( on the same settings) then on earlier tracks, which is still a shame that SMS didn't managed to balance this out

but to be fair, with this many cars on this many tracks, it takes lot of time to get it polished, when compared to few cars on few tracks

after that I played Forza and I turned it off with disappointment after 5 minutes, cars in there are just sliding all over the plate, no real sense of grip/lose of grip.

for me personally PC2 is close to being the best racing game out there, becasue it has lot of great stuff in it, that's still missing in some other titles

RF2 is certailly nowhere near as good, becasue it feels alpha stage with absolutely un-balanced visuals ( new stuff looks great, but oh boy some of the old stuff looks really bad)
AC feels good overall, but doesn't really have deeper career more, and yes I will say it again, weather progression and night :p
AMS is great for what it is, taking advantage of good GMOTOR engine, and many many years of polishing of that engine, but it's old looking and while the content is unique - which can be positive to many people - it can also be negative because simply you are missing lot of your favorite cars & tracks

so if you wanna ask, what would be my top sim/racing game,...
well, I think it's probably Gran Turismo Sport! :) physics is certaily realisic! visuals are second to none, proper racing series rules and all that, tracks that feel alive, and it's all so nicely polished ! also really good livery editor , something that was missing in a long long time

only downside to it is lack of content and as well as AC, nothing is dynamic :(

my dream racing game would be combination of

Gran Turismo Sport, PCARS2 and Assetto Corsa
GTS&PCARS for the visuals, overall presentation, car & track lists, weather, etc.
and AC for how smooth if feels - especially on gamepad - and the "ease and power" of modding ( when compared to other moddable titles)
Yep, reading through this thread, it looks exactly like I've expected it will when I clicked...:rolleyes:

Milestone have had nothing to do with the WRC series for the past 4 years now. (And WRC 7 is actually pretty good, if it wasn't for some unfortunate technical issues/limitations, but that's obviously quite subjective.)
Ac is for me easily the best and conveys convincing realism so to fully appreciate it you have to get over the non gamey elements. I would like AC to be more but because it does driving so well i keep going back.

They completely missed the boat, stupid stupid design choices crap VR performance with flickers and popping shadows.

If Pcars2 was this it would have been respected =

A few good popular racing car classes

Gt4-3-2
Lmp
Wtcc or BTCC
Dynamic
Day/night/Rain

With balanced AI, good selection of tracks, solid online mode and great ffb/handling.

Instead it tries to be a rally game friggin all weather simulator including every car under the sun and hodge bodged to try and appeal to everyone.

If they set themselves realistic targets it could be great but they didn't and are stupid in there choices because people dont come back to play it, it falls short everywhere and excells nowhere.

I don't have a console, and I was a WMD member. Trolls and fanboys will constantly bash the game and SMS just for existing.

People are responding to question with their own personal answer. If that answer is not up to your standards, then either eff off, or stop being such a snowflake and man the hell up.
PCars 2 is not as good as you lot think, its good though, very good in places.
But none of that will ever change how terrible SMS are as a developer and how many corners they cut.
Many people on here will be like me and have all the sims they want. So i can happily play PCars 2 and then stick on AC like I did last night.... then i checked out the AMS hotfix for 30 mins then went to bed.
I don't pledge my life to PCars 2 and spend the rest of my life shutting people down who express an opinion on it...
Grow up.
h and because we have all sims we can back to back test cars which i enjoy to do....and can say they all pretty much get them feeling the same, which is great and gives me faith in that side of the games that they all use the same base materials to develop the cars feel...
PCars 2 Renault 3.5 and RF2 version, both feel great and very much you feel you are 'driving' the same car...
Happy with that. Happy with a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
Ac is for me easily the best and conveys convincing realism so to fully appreciate it you have to get over the non gamey elements. I would like AC to be more but because it does driving so well i keep going back.

They completely missed the boat, stupid stupid design choices crap VR performance with flickers and popping shadows.

If Pcars2 was this it would have been respected =

A few good popular racing car classes

Gt4-3-2
Lmp
Wtcc or BTCC
Dynamic
Day/night/Rain

With balanced AI, good selection of tracks, solid online mode and great ffb/handling.

Instead it tries to be a rally game friggin all weather simulator including every car under the sun and hodge bodged to try and appeal to everyone.

If they set themselves realistic targets it could be great but they didn't and are stupid in there choices because people dont come back to play it, it falls short everywhere and excells nowhere.

I've been looking for a post that could sum up how I feel about it, and this one hits the nail on the head.

Jack of all sims, master of none.

• Deleted member 241736

pcars ist zum zweiten mal eine der größte sim enttäuchung.
sms kann und wird es nicht können, aber vielleicht überrachen uns sms mit der ankündigung von pcars 3 zu weihnachten.

For the second time, pcars is one of the biggest sim debut.
sms can not and will not, but maybe sms surprised us by announcing pcars 3 to christmas.
I'm a real AC fanboy, but this is crap criticism. Please delete the 9,1,1 out of your name!

if because of the look the game/sim looks un-finished ,then yes ( let alone the number of tracks, cars )

if you are all about physics, you should race in real life ;) I think you are in the wrong genre

What you are doing with PCars 2 and RF2, is like comparing Call of Duty to Insurgency..........
Lets talk about PCars 2 without pointing to other games as a distraction.
Also i judge PCars 2 as a AAA title and also based on all the marketing crap they pump out. Its easy to be left feeling a little sour....

For a start i'm a customer, not a 'hater' ok i only paid £26, but i am a customer......

Also i think the real issue is that defenders of PCars 2 criticism constantly have to use the games that are 5 years old using DirectX9 and a 4 year old beta game, to show why its not that bad....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes