F1 2011 First impressions after playing the game

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Well just finished my first race with Force India. Let me just say the new suspension system is a handful to get used to. I lost a front wing twice in practice. Lets just say if you activate DRS don't do it at a wrong spot or you'll pull a Maldonado and spin out.

So far managing KERS and DRS is tricky in practice and qualy. At no point was I within a second in the race but I qualified 18th and finished 12th meeting my objective.

The graphics don't appear that much better and the washout effect is kinda odd. Modders will fix that I'm sure fast enough.

Career mode is now managed with a laptop and no more ugly lady... Helmets are going to have to be modded in again.

No Senna for Renault.

Fuel mixture is kind of a neat addition and my gas light came on during the second to last lap and I was not in a position to gain a position so I just turned it back to normal.

Engineer seems like he barely talks at all now. To early to tell if this is good or bad. Seems like all sector times are good in qualy.

Massa was pole along with Button and Petrov. Vettell was an embarrassing 14th.

Any other questions let me know.

Also I'm playing with 20%

1st impression. just got it a few mins ago, I have only managed 1 complete lap of Australia so far...

I'm braking way too early, corners are a lot easier to get round compared to F1 2010. I can see myself being unable to play last years once I'm used to it (I'm still in a league for last years).

Anyway, 1st achievement unlocked, after a rather hairy run accross the grass sideways...

"Have you considered Dirt 3"

LMAO! Cheeky barstewards. :D

No game today...but I got a email from where I ordered it saying that they have sent it this morning...whoohoo :D
If the postalservice does its job correctly I will hopefully have it in less then 24 hours now.
If not... then I wont get it until Monday and then I really will be very annoyed...:tongue:

My copy arrived this morning, after one wet practice session with Team Lotus I'm finding that it's harder than I thought it would be generally, plus I have no idea if I'm using my KERS or not, I press the button and there is feel. I'm doing cockpit view so there is no hud thingee.

I'm finding the tyre wear is pretty extreme too; I did two laps on inters and they were down to 87% when I went back to the garage. Perhaps someone can comment on this: when I drive in the pits, just as I get to the entrance line I keep hearing a horn going off, has anyone else noticed this? There seems to be no button to put the limiter on now as it's now the button used for car status, B on xbox.

do you mean correct a slide by hitting a brake pedal? If you understand car dynamics, you would know this is completely unrealistic. When the car is sliding in the rear, by hitting a brake pedal, you transfer the weight load of the car toward the front, now the back end of the car is 1.still sliding and 2. you've taken the weight off the rear, making it lighter, which would result in an immediate spin out. To correct the back of the car sliding out, maintain or provide more throttle, and counter-steer the direction of the slide. I find it rather easy in f1 2011, unlike f1 2010 which did not provide a linear power slide.

Thanks for the science lesson however he was referring to the cheat in 2010 where can stomp the break pedal at any point of the slide and it pulls the car back to facing forward.

Has this been fixed?

Also what are the camera angles like, is cockpit better? Really hope so.

Do all sector times show on the review monitor?

is the damp track handling more realistic? i.e cannot drive flat out on slicks.

Thanks for the science lesson however he was referring to the cheat in 2010 where can stomp the break pedal at any point of the slide and it pulls the car back to facing forward.

Has this been fixed?

Also what are the camera angles like, is cockpit better? Really hope so.

Do all sector times show on the review monitor?

is the damp track handling more realistic? i.e cannot drive flat out on slicks.

You cant stamp on the brake to correct a slide anymore like 2010.
Camera angles, i never had a problem with, so i wont comment.
All sector times show, and your sector times dont disappear in the pits so you can compare.
Yes, the wet track racing is much improved.

My copy arrived this morning, after one wet practice session with Team Lotus I'm finding that it's harder than I thought it would be generally, plus I have no idea if I'm using my KERS or not, I press the button and there is feel. I'm doing cockpit view so there is no hud thingee.

Hi mate,

I wouldnt stress about the KERS issue. Your main problem is the fact that Lotus, HRT and Virgin dont have it :)

Hey. got mine earlier today and as promised here is my early impressions review. First up, I thing the graphics are a big improvement on 2010, they look much more realistic now. The new handling model is also a success in my opinion, it gives the car much more of a feeling of natural flow. So far I have completed a few time trial laps, a 3 lap race at Malaysia and a 20% race at the Nurburgring. 2011 is certainly more challenging than 10, I found myself struggling to keep with Rosberg and Schumacher at the Nurburgring (I was in a Red Bull). It's refreshing to have new features such as Kers and DRS, although I have not had a chance to have a look at the safety car yet. The only real thing so far that I have a problem with is the race engineer, I find his voice very boring and preferred last years.(not significant I know). The feel of the tracks and the addition of marbles off the racing line contribute to a much greater overall challenge than 10, with there being severe punishment in terms of grip for straying slightly off the racing line towards the end of races. Overall, my first impressions of the game are that it is great fun and a real challenge, even for F1 2010 veterans. I will continue my review once I have played the game a bit more. Thanks for reading.

woah. It's different. But ina good way. I'm on ps3 and the graphics aren't much better, quite disappointing especially the helmets close up.

Also disappointed that nicknames aren't in this years version? Why not? but those are small things

JEEEZZZZZ....I MUST be missing something.....so disapointed...I've been playing F1-2010 with RDD 2011 mod now for ages and love it, I cant believe people actually think THIS feels better????? I presume all the good comments about the feel of the car are from console players, I'm on PC and this feels to me like I'm on rails, the twitchy-ness has gone, to loose the rear & spin I've got to do it ON-PURPOSE. I was so looking forward to 'the car feels more alive now', more alive than what? a snale on a roller-skate? Someone please tell me they sent me the wrong game........Yes the frame rates better (everything ULTRA @ 60fps), I like the Kers & DRS, I've even kept switching between 2010(modded) & 2011 to convince myself its not that 'arcady' but it is.. Praying that RDD can transform it

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back