F1 2011 First impressions after playing the game

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Well just finished my first race with Force India. Let me just say the new suspension system is a handful to get used to. I lost a front wing twice in practice. Lets just say if you activate DRS don't do it at a wrong spot or you'll pull a Maldonado and spin out.

So far managing KERS and DRS is tricky in practice and qualy. At no point was I within a second in the race but I qualified 18th and finished 12th meeting my objective.

The graphics don't appear that much better and the washout effect is kinda odd. Modders will fix that I'm sure fast enough.

Career mode is now managed with a laptop and no more ugly lady... Helmets are going to have to be modded in again.

No Senna for Renault.

Fuel mixture is kind of a neat addition and my gas light came on during the second to last lap and I was not in a position to gain a position so I just turned it back to normal.

Engineer seems like he barely talks at all now. To early to tell if this is good or bad. Seems like all sector times are good in qualy.

Massa was pole along with Button and Petrov. Vettell was an embarrassing 14th.

Any other questions let me know.

Also I'm playing with 20%

(merged) Got my PS3 copy today - Utterly Disappointed

Hi all,

Firstly - I'm not trolling, and I know some of you may think this as it's my first post here. But, I am just a disappointed fan... I'll explain why if you care to read on...

Received my copy today from Simplygames.com on the PS3...

I've been very very excited about this game and looking forward to it for months with immense anticipation. I'm a huge fan of the sport and even have called my 6 month old son Jenson :)D) so it's not like I'm some bystander just venting some fury here!

So today the game arrived, great mood etc. Installed the game , had to update my PS3 system software first and then download a 25 mb patch for the game.

The first thing I did was have a go on Singapore time trialling. The graphics took me aback with how bright they were - not neccessarily bad - just brighter and more vibrant than F1 2010... I was still trying to take everything in and was just generally excited about using KERs and DRS etc. that I didn't really pay too much attention to them.

Then I got driving .... with all assists on - to get a feel for the handling of the cars and the new features in the game.

Then after a lap or two it dawned on me how bad the frame rate is - IMO it's worse than F1 2010 (which I also have on my PS3)

I don't know how this is possible as after playing the game for a couple of hours I came to the conclusion that F1 2010 looks no worse to my eyes!

Sure, F1 2011 looks better, but that's all the little things like the hand movements on the steering wheel - to the marbles left on the track (I saw them at the start of Wellington straight when I did a 20 percent race at Silverstone) ...

But, boy, with 24 cars on the track the game is just unplayable in my book.

Go on a circuit like Singapore where the graphics chip and processing power within the PS3 is inevitably going to have to work harder than at Silverstone and it just becomes a joke.

For me anyway, there's no way I can play races on this game. Time trialling is decent enough most of the time - to bearable and then ok...

I know you're not exactly supposed to be looking at the grand stands and trees when you're going 200mph but they just JUDDER along, and when you get to some low speed corners on Singapore there is an immense amount of screen tearing and choppy frame rate issues.

Such a disappointment because everything else about the game is just perfect from what I have played of it so far.

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a decent graphics card for my PC (luckily for me the rest of my PC is very good) but then again it means forking out another 20 odd quid to buy a game I already own, and then what? £200 or so on a decent graphics card for my i7 930 , 6gb RAM PC? Any ideas btw? :)

The annoying thing there is I want to play the game on a big screen, ie. the TV my PS3 is hooked up to downstairs. I don't wanna be sat upstairs playing it 1 foot away from my smaller PC Monitor...

Very very disappointment. The disappointment of the frame rate and choppyness is compounded by the fact that this is a great great game in the other areas of the game...

The handling is brilliant and fun. Kers and DRS are excellent. The power boost you get is awesome when you're homing in on the car in front etc.

yet to even see the Safety car , I did try on a race in Silverstone in the wet but it probably wasn't big enough of a shunt.

Off topic slightly - I've tried to register on Codemasters' forums for ages - any idea when they will be open for registrations again?

That's my take on the game so far, I hope Codies can fix the FPS problem on the PS3!!!!

Off topic slightly - I've tried to register on Codemasters' forums for ages - any idea when they will be open for registrations again?

There was an announcement there last week saying there would be maintenance early this week, In My Opinion, I think they were actually anticipating masses of traffic when the game was released.

Im racing at 720p with my PC on my 42" TV, my ATi 5850 is running everything butter smooth all setting max with 4x AA. I also have an i7 920@4Ghz and 6Gb Ram.
If you are looking to run 1080p you might want to look at a ATi 6870/6950 or a GTX 560ti.
I have not run it at 1080p yet so dont know how much of an impact it has on my GPU.

Ok thanks well my 42" TV is 720p as well anyway... the thing is the TV is downstairs - my PC is upstairs. I can't change either one's position unfortunately. Unless I bought another TV for upstairs but that'd be overkill - or in other words the missus would kill me... already wanted that RBR playseat for Chrimbo! haha :)

THE CARS ARE VERY STABLE

Is it me of it feels that f1 2011 is easier to drive than 2010.
I drive manual without assists, and overall including online, career mode, time trial, it all feels much more stable than the older game.
For instance, I was used to make a mistake or two after resuming playing the game from a few weeks break , but I played the game for hours yesterday and no spins, even in Valencia.

I did felt though that during qualifying (when the DRS is always available) if you press the DRS too early at the end of a curve, the back of the car goes loose and you have to correct that to avoid a certain crash. Kudos for the developers on that! (ps: I play with g25 wheel)

First impression? DRS on - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

It's amazing how much boost DRS gives, especially if combined with KERS. It looked fast on TV, but it looks even faster when I'm closing in on the car ahead with 20 kph+ speed difference. :)

Also, love new handling system. It's gonna take some time getting used to, but it's an obvious improvement. Some not so small bugs are present, don't know how they got past beta testing, but thankfully they're easily avoidable.

All in all, 2011 is an improvement to 2010, even if it's a small one.

About an hour of playtime with the game so far. Can't tell you how happy I am to be getting good framerates(avg 85-90!) on my rig with everything turned up to MAX! Good going cm.

Handling is great and because of the improved physics and FFB, the car seems just a tad easier to catch slides with and I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the "brake to catch" trick *does* work sometimes if your quick about it. Gotta play some more to confirm this.

Also MAJOR props to CM for nailing the controller setup process! I'm on an ECCI 7000 FFB wheel and CST Pedals, and everything works as it should. FFB = no problems. Button Mappings = check. Acknowledging multiple controllers = check. Remains to be seen if all settings will still be saved upon exiting and re-starting the game, so I'll check that shortly and report back if it doesn't.

Anyway this comment:

I'm enjoying it so far, braking distances overall seem to be shortened, although it's way easier to lock your brakes up. Also turns that I used to be great at are catching me out and some that i was never good at I seem to be nailing, so there's a definite difference even if everything looks almost the same.

...cannot be emphasized enough. The track themselves appear to look the same, but the modeling of them seems different somehow in certain sections, resulting in corners that need to be tackled differently. I can't put my finger on it but they're definitely not modelled exactly the same as 2010's. I have to slow down more at pretty much all the corners at Melbourne, whereas in 2010 my braking didn't need to be quite as heavy. Gotta keep testing this theory...

This game is definitely a different animal but I'm loving it so far. Oh and it's been running for a while now and no crashing in DX11.....so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ok, so can someone please tell me that you CANNOT correct a spin by hitting the brake pedal???

do you mean correct a slide by hitting a brake pedal? If you understand car dynamics, you would know this is completely unrealistic. When the car is sliding in the rear, by hitting a brake pedal, you transfer the weight load of the car toward the front, now the back end of the car is 1.still sliding and 2. you've taken the weight off the rear, making it lighter, which would result in an immediate spin out. To correct the back of the car sliding out, maintain or provide more throttle, and counter-steer the direction of the slide. I find it rather easy in f1 2011, unlike f1 2010 which did not provide a linear power slide.

Im racing at 720p with my PC on my 42" TV, my ATi 5850 is running everything butter smooth all setting max with 4x AA. I also have an i7 920@4Ghz and 6Gb Ram.
If you are looking to run 1080p you might want to look at a ATi 6870/6950 or a GTX 560ti.
I have not run it at 1080p yet so dont know how much of an impact it has on my GPU.

My setup is an i7 860 @ 3.8 GHz, 4GB RAM and a 5850 @ 800/1175 MHz (i.e. slight OC) and on my 1080P plasma with everything maxed on DX11 and VSync on everything is still butter smooth.

the sims seem to be working correctly this year and the handling model i think is leagues better. felt like i had to be so fragile last year with the car due to the way curbs were handled and this year i feel i can be so much more aggressive. and as others have said you can definitely feel the back end sliding out and with proper driving can save it as opposed to the scripted spin outs of last year.

i thought last years game was flawed in a few areas but was overall still a great game and everything so far this year appears to be an upgrade. cant wait to see some of the mod content the community puts together this year.

On PS3 the graphics outside of the race track are a disaster :mad:. On some tracks like Nürburgring or Marina Bay, it looks terrible on a 107cm full hd screen.

Way too much clipping and aliasing while in F1 2010 it was better... In Nurburgring the poles of the gallerys keep appearing/disappearing so much it hurts the eyes. Maybe it is just on the PS3?

Too bad because the driving feels really good!!!

do you mean correct a slide by hitting a brake pedal? If you understand car dynamics, you would know this is completely unrealistic. When the car is sliding in the rear, by hitting a brake pedal, you transfer the weight load of the car toward the front, now the back end of the car is 1.still sliding and 2. you've taken the weight off the rear, making it lighter, which would result in an immediate spin out. To correct the back of the car sliding out, maintain or provide more throttle, and counter-steer the direction of the slide. I find it rather easy in f1 2011, unlike f1 2010 which did not provide a linear power slide.

I could be wrong but i think hes just making sure that the 'brake to stop yourself spinning' feature has been removed. He probably realises its unrealistic.

Here are my first impressions of the game:

I did a 100% race at Monza with the Mclaren. I was starting 20th due a gridpenalty (for hitting someone in free practice) and finished 8th with a drivetrough penalty for cutting the chicane. :frown: I was playing on legend level without any driving aids turned on.

Problems:

After a couple of minutes my game was crashing to the desktop with a videocard error. I fixed this to do a clean install of my Nvidia video drivers. Now the graphics are working great!

Race impressions:

The car is really fun to drive compared to F1 2010. The physics are much improved and you can attack corners and curbes now. The Kers en DRS functions are fun to use and working good. You will get a real boost in the race if you attack someone with the DRS open en Kers deployed.

The engineer is given you a lot more info now during the races. My engineer was telling me to save fuel the last 4 laps :tongue:

All in all a hudge difference compared to F1 2010 and i hope for even more improvements with the upcoming patch.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 133 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 182 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 357 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 499 39.1%