F1 2017 Modding Questions Thread

probably a stupid question, but can we put a fantasy helmet onto an actual driver, for example i have the jaguar replacing toro rosso mod but dont want the drivers to have red bull helmets? also so i can put myself on the grid with my own helmet

Last edited:
So i have been testing with livery finishes on the cars (applying matte, chrome, sparkle, metallic finish on car via paint-sfc almost like for helmets) and weird results so far that i don't understand.
For example almost every effect works great on renault. But on ferrari none of them works. i was using the same files and same procedure, so it should work, but it doesnt. Does somebody know why the different paint effects work only on some cars and on some not at all? thanks

when in photoshop you should have a black background when saving (so no transparency), the transparency comes from the Alpha channel, not the bakcground
Hi Friends.

I don't have Photoshop and my mods are wrong ingame. Bad colours. I have The Gimp and Paint.net. Is it possible to save correctly the dds file with these programs, or do I need Photoshop?

If Photoshop is the only program to make mods, which version of Photoshop do I need?

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

Hi Friends.

I don't have Photoshop and my mods are wrong ingame. Bad colours. I have The Gimp and Paint.net. Is it possible to save correctly the dds file with these programs, or do I need Photoshop?

If Photoshop is the only program to make mods, which version of Photoshop do I need?

I believe that you need photoshop to get the srgb formats, you might be able to work around using an old version of EEA to import but that causes other issues. I think CS6 and CC would both work, maybe CS5 as well. All you need is the intel DDS plugin for Photoshop, so anything that supports the plugin should work.

I have a question, I saw a video where it was said you could import 2016 cars into 2017, I find the idea intriguing and I’d like to know:
1. If it is actually possible
2. How to do it as I think it’d be fun to mess around with
Thanks in advance

I believe that you need photoshop to get the srgb formats, you might be able to work around using an old version of EEA to import but that causes other issues. I think CS6 and CC would both work, maybe CS5 as well. All you need is the intel DDS plugin for Photoshop, so anything that supports the plugin should work.
Thanks friend.

I'm trying in one friend's Photoshop but I'm still having problems.

I have loaded the dds file I have created in Photoshop, and now I don't know what to do: save as, export to... If I select export option I only can save in png, jpg... not dds. And selecting save as I don't know where is the srgb option.

I have tried several options but the car ingame is still worse than before. The black McLaren color seems ok but the orange zones are now in White.

Please some help Friends.

Thanks friend.

I'm trying in one friend's Photoshop but I'm still having problems.

I have loaded the dds file I have created in Photoshop, and now I don't know what to do: save as, export to... If I select export option I only can save in png, jpg... not dds. And selecting save as I don't know where is the srgb option.

I have tried several options but the car ingame is still worse than before. The black McLaren color seems ok but the orange zones are now in White.

Please some help Friends.
you need to select intel dds in the save as options

I have alpha cannel. I have saved with black background, but then the car is totally black. Very strange for me...
I will try to rework the whole texture. One question: Do you work in the texture in dds format or do you edit the texture in tga or png? Which option is better?

did somebody ever experienced game crashing very often after turn 1 in australia?
it started happening to me recently and very often and even after many hours i wasnt able to locate what is causing that.
Somebody seen this problem too? And if yes what is causing it and how to get rid of it? thanks
(since its not happening every single time but very often, i cannot locate the problem via reverting back to default files and installing tons of mods and changes one after another, not possible.)

Hey guys!

I'm making changes to improve mclaren's performance in 'career mode'. However, they have no effect.

I am editing the mclaren.erp file through the ego.erp.editor. I export, edit, import and save. But when I test the change, Alonso is still doing worse lap times than Ericson.

How do I make the changes take effect in a carrer that is already in progress? (silverstone)

I will try to rework the whole texture. One question: Do you work in the texture in dds format or do you edit the texture in tga or png? Which option is better?
Hi Friends.

I have chosen the original McLaren decal texture. I have paste some logos on it, save the texture and the result ingame is bad, with white zones. I have saved it in the correct format. Am I doing something wrong? I work in the dds file directly and I have paste on it png images with transparency, obviously.

When I open in Photoshop the dds file, the program told me about load transparency and load mipmaps. Do I have to choose one of these options? If I choose load transparency, the texture appears with a black background and I want to paste some black logos... and they don't appear in the texture.

Please, some help Friends.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea