F1 2017 Modding Questions Thread

I have chosen the original McLaren decal texture.
Please, some help Friends.

Someone correct me if I'm not 100% accurate in terms of f12017 but here is how it should work Camacho:

1. Open DDS
2. Load transparency (this is your alpha)
3. Save your file as a .psd
4. I don't know how your friend has his Ps setup but you should go to the top of the screen and select Windows > Channel
5. The file will be in RGB (the colors for your logos) and a fourth chanel called "Alpha" this is the transparency you loaded and it tells the game what information to ignore/show.
6. Using the existing logos as a guide you MUST match your new logos to the relative size but EXACT placement of the original McLaren logos. This is a factor we cannot control.
7. I recommend you create a folder in your layers call it "logos" and add/update logos how you see fit.
8. When you're happy with your work go to "Alpha" channel again, "Select All" > "Fill" > Black. You are essentially deleting the original McLaren alpha.
9. Go to your "logos" folder, copy it and "Merge Group." While on that layer "Select all", with the selection active go to "Alpha" and now "Fill" > White.
10. You should have a correct file now with your logos in the right places/right size and and alpha that recognizes the outside edges of those logos.
11. Save your DDS as a "Color + Alpha" BC3. Generate Mipmaps or not it worked either way for me.
12. In the ERP Updater when you import the texture I always save my mipmaps somewhere else, I don't override the ones in the game.

This should work but I don't know the McLaren, this has worked for me on the Force India.

Good luck. Save your work regularly, make copies of your layers before trying something, play it safe. :thumbsup:

Someone correct me if I'm not 100% accurate in terms of f12017 but here is how it should work Camacho:

1. Open DDS
2. Load transparency (this is your alpha)
3. Save your file as a .psd
4. I don't know how your friend has his Ps setup but you should go to the top of the screen and select Windows > Channel
5. The file will be in RGB (the colors for your logos) and a fourth chanel called "Alpha" this is the transparency you loaded and it tells the game what information to ignore/show.
6. Using the existing logos as a guide you MUST match your new logos to the relative size but EXACT placement of the original McLaren logos. This is a factor we cannot control.
7. I recommend you create a folder in your layers call it "logos" and add/update logos how you see fit.
8. When you're happy with your work go to "Alpha" channel again, "Select All" > "Fill" > Black. You are essentially deleting the original McLaren alpha.
9. Go to your "logos" folder, copy it and "Merge Group." While on that layer "Select all", with the selection active go to "Alpha" and now "Fill" > White.
10. You should have a correct file now with your logos in the right places/right size and and alpha that recognizes the outside edges of those logos.
11. Save your DDS as a "Color + Alpha" BC3. Generate Mipmaps or not it worked either way for me.
12. In the ERP Updater when you import the texture I always save my mipmaps somewhere else, I don't override the ones in the game.

This should work but I don't know the McLaren, this has worked for me on the Force India.

Good luck. Save your work regularly, make copies of your layers before trying something, play it safe. :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot friend. I will try tomorrow.

In which format do you use the logos to paste in the texture in psd? Jpg, png, tga...

did somebody ever experienced game crashing very often after turn 1 in australia?
it started happening to me recently and very often and even after many hours i wasnt able to locate what is causing that.
it happens almost exactly at the same spot after turn 1, the game stutters for like one milisecond, then its ok and after 2-3 seconds the game crashes to windows without any warning or error screen.
Somebody seen this problem too? And if yes what is causing it and how to get rid of it? thanks
(since its not happening every single time, i cannot locate the problem via reverting back to default files and installing tons of mods and changes one after another, not possible, it would take years.)

nobody experienced this or something similar at some point?

Hello!

I'm planning to upload some 2017 and 2018 race recreations to YouTube, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to edit the drivers' qualifying skills in order to customize the starting grids and make them exactly like the real 2017 and 2018 ones.

Can you help me, please?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi!
I can't open my exported textures with any program. I export for example williams_paint.tga and I'm not able to open it with photoshop, gimp, paint.net ...
Can you help me please?

* I'm using EGO ERP ARCHIVER 6.1 and my F1 2017 is 1.13 version, not cracked, I bought it and also latest versions of all the programs I tried to open those textures with

Hi!
I can't open my exported textures with any program. I export for example williams_paint.tga and I'm not able to open it with photoshop, gimp, paint.net ...
Can you help me please?

* I'm using EGO ERP ARCHIVER 6.1 and my F1 2017 is 1.13 version, not cracked, I bought it and also latest versions of all the programs I tried to open those textures with
Do you have the Intel DDS plugin installed in photoshop?

I've got a question: So, shortly after the release of 2017 it was impossible to cheat in TT and online according to CM. Multiple players said they were banned from online-sessions after changing some characteristics like grip level etc. Now it seems like impossible TT-laptimes are back. Does that mean CM have screwed up again with cheating? Or is it still handled like it's supposed to be, at least online?

Hello everyone,

So I just got myself into modding in F1 2017, I know how to change names etc. but now I'm looking on how to change car performance. I already saw the video of CW on YT, but there it is a little different.

So on his video he did the modding with the "team".vtf, but now there is on every team a Mercedes.vtf also. So what do I need to change to update performance?

I hope someone can help me and thanks already!

Hello everyone,

So I just got myself into modding in F1 2017, I know how to change names etc. but now I'm looking on how to change car performance. I already saw the video of CW on YT, but there it is a little different.

So on his video he did the modding with the "team".vtf, but now there is on every team a Mercedes.vtf also. So what do I need to change to update performance?

I hope someone can help me and thanks already!

i dont know why the mercedes.vtf is in each team file, but i ignored it and i was working only with the team.vtf when changing performance

Hello, I am trying to get all cars equal performance. I edited the xml file for sauber to test. I copied mercedes performance and changed saubers vtf file with the same values as mercedes. But sauber are still the slowest car on grand prix mode. I don't know if I did something wrong

Here's my pastebin of the sauber: https://pastebin.com/SfsQPE9u

Appreciate any help :)

i dont know why the mercedes.vtf is in each team file, but i ignored it and i was working only with the team.vtf when changing performance

Alright, I also did that now, but I changed haas with something, I don't know what anymore, it might have been drag, but when I was racing a haas just flew around me with something like 400 kph. It was way too fast and I did follow the video. Do you know what went wrong?

And I think the Mercedes file is for equal cars. :O_o:

Hello, I am trying to get all cars equal performance. I edited the xml file for sauber to test. I copied mercedes performance and changed saubers vtf file with the same values as mercedes. But sauber are still the slowest car on grand prix mode. I don't know if I did something wrong

Are you skipping or fast forwarding? Because I think that might be the problem.

it's probably about the team specific AI (or fast forwarding which means virtual performance kicks in and doesn't work)

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 158 87.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 30 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 54 29.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 66 36.5%