F1 2016 Modding Questions Thread

Just for everyone thats having the invisible car issue when modding the skins, its caused by saving the paint file as DXT5, when it needs to be saved as DXT1 with 1 bit alpha. The decals file is DXT5 however, so make sure to select the correct one when saving either file, or it will run into issues.

Just for everyone thats having the invisible car issue when modding the skins, its caused by saving the paint file as DXT5, when it needs to be saved as DXT1 with 1 bit alpha. The decals file is DXT5 however, so make sure to select the correct one when saving either file, or it will run into issues.
Could you explain me how i do this? And what exact file should i change? I'm new to modding so i don't know a whole lot yet :(

Hey, I'm not sure, whether some of it has been asked before, but I couldn't find a proper answer, so basically, I wish to mix up the drivers a bit. So, how is it possible to change Hulkenberg in Force India with Rosberg in Mercedes, for example, so everything necessary would be changed. I mean that the dialogue wouldn't speak of Rosberg if I have changed him with Hulkenber. Also wanted to know, which steps do I need to make, simply change their names in lng-files and their helmets with the helmet editor? But how can I change their names on their overalls and their numbers and other such stuff? I know here are tons of questions, some of which may be real simple, but if somebody is ready to answer, the help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hey, I'm not sure, whether some of it has been asked before, but I couldn't find a proper answer, so basically, I wish to mix up the drivers a bit. So, how is it possible to change Hulkenberg in Force India with Rosberg in Mercedes, for example, so everything necessary would be changed. I mean that the dialogue wouldn't speak of Rosberg if I have changed him with Hulkenber. Also wanted to know, which steps do I need to make, simply change their names in lng-files and their helmets with the helmet editor? But how can I change their names on their overalls and their numbers and other such stuff? I know here are tons of questions, some of which may be real simple, but if somebody is ready to answer, the help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Dialogue: Subtitles can be changed (similar to team names), I don't think commentary (audio) can be.
Overalls: Have to be changed In editing software, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the names on overalls are found incardriver.erp 2016-*team*_logo_01
Numbers on cars: In \f1_2016_vehicle_package\teams\*team*\textures rename the driver_number.mipmap e.g. change massa (19) to stroll (18-I think) rename driver_18.tga.mipmaps to driver_19.tga.mipmaps

Still impossible to edit the AI's performance for specific drivers? Fed up of Hamilton just blitzing off into the distance, they've made him way better than he is irl.

Hi guys, i'm working on my first mod, just a skin change of the Sauber, but i'm having a problem with the decals on the side of the car... The right side is ok, but the left its kinda of half mirrored, and I can't figure out why. I know this is a problem with the martini logo on the Williams for example, but from what I saw on anothers mods, the position of this decal doesnt seems to be an issue. Anyone can help? Thanks.
right_side.png left_side.png

Hello everyone, maybe this question has already been responded to, but I will still ask :

I heard that it was possible to use the 2014 Supla helmet pack on F1 2016, but I don't know how to do so. I mean I don't know how to put one of these helmets into my 2016 game.

Thanks for the help !

Hi guys, i'm working on my first mod, just a skin change of the Sauber, but i'm having a problem with the decals on the side of the car... The right side is ok, but the left its kinda of half mirrored, and I can't figure out why. I know this is a problem with the martini logo on the Williams for example, but from what I saw on anothers mods, the position of this decal doesnt seems to be an issue. Anyone can help? Thanks.
View attachment 164517 View attachment 164516
Hi! you can sadly only edit a limited area extended around the Banco Brasil logo, it's copied to the other sidepod when the game loads the car. Anything outside the bound will be mirrored, that's why the other one is messed up.

How to mod F1 2016 - Walktrough

Hey guys, so I just found out that it is still possible to mod skins and colours of car liverys or something else of the game.
This Walktrough should help you, to learn how to export and import your mods into the game and make them work.

What do I need for modding?

- a graphic design program .. for example Photoshop
- the actual Ego ERP Archiver, you can find it here:/http://www.petartasev.com/modding/ego-engine/erp-archiver/

Let us say, we want to edit the car paint of the Ferrari livery. This walktrough should work also for the other graphic content like decals, umbrellas etc. This is just an example.

Let's start

1. searching for the file

So we first need the ferrari.erp file, which we have to find first. This file is located in this path:
/F1 2016/asset_groups/f1_2016_vehicle_package/teams/ferrari/wep
There you have the ferrari.erp file. ((((Make a backup of the original one!))))
View attachment 149264

2. open the .erp file and export the graphic

Now you need the ERP Archiver to open up your ferrari.erp file. Once you are in the ERP just click on "File" > "Open", then open up your ferrari.erp file. Once it is loaded, there should now show up a lot of content. The file we need is called "ferrari_paint.tga". If you found it click on it, then click on "Archive" > "Export Texture". Export the "ferrari_paint.tga.dds" to a place you want, for example the Desktop. Leave the ERP Archiver open in the background.
View attachment 149271

3. editing your graphic file

So now it is your turn. Open the "ferrari_paint.tga.dds" with a program like Photoshop and edit it the way you want. Once you have done that, save it. ((((It has to be the same format, in this case .tga.dds!))))

4. import the "ferrari_paint.tga.dds" back to the "ferrari.erp"

Go back to your ERP Archiver and click again on "Archive" > "Import Texture", and select your "ferrari_paint.tga.dds".
View attachment 149272

5. save

Once you have done that, you are nearly ready to play. The last step is to save the ferrari.erp. Just click on "File" > "Save".
View attachment 149273

6. Have fun :)

I hope this walktrough helped you to getting better into the modding of this game.

I can't open the files with photoshop, do you know what kind of problem it could be?

Hey guys. Multiple problems but I know you guys are clever so maybe someone can help me :D
1. How can I change car skins (maybe without PS)?
2. Specifically how can I change the driver number on the skin?
3. How can I edit the team performances? (If you watch aarava MyDriver Season 4, you probably know what I mean. I already got a hint by someone but I didn´t get more clever unfortunately)
4. How can I change driver nationalities?
5. Is there something like a Database F1 2014-style? Something where you can basically edit the whole spirit of the game?
That´s all for now :D Sorry if I annoy, I´m better in 2014 modding but this game is hard to get used to for me as a modder (and as a driver :whistling:).

Hi guys,

Is it possible to mod the helmets in career mode such that they will have the aerodynamic appendages (e.g. rear spoiler, chin bar guerney)? The helmets in other modes have them. I've tried changing the gen_01_helmet_d.tga, gen_01_helmet_n.tga, and gen_01_helmet_s.tga without much luck.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.