F1 2012 Autosave Problem

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

Chris

Premium
Is anyone else experiencing the Autosave bug? Whereby, you just can't save anything, and you can only progress as far as you get in one session of playing, and once you quit and reboot, everything that you just did is gone.

So far, I've tried,
- Restarting my career
- Manually saving (which still doesn't save)

Initially I thought it was caused because I edited the ai_vehicle_track for Melbourne, so I put the original file back in, but that hasn't worked either.

Does anyone know of a solution? Or why this is caused?

Many thanks in advance.

Gnu UK, i really appreciate all this work you have done. Incredible stuff. I haven't tried it just yet, but if i do get the bug again, then ill be sure to do so.

Thank you very very much!

You only have a limited choice of options. Unfortunately if there really is a corrupt file in your profile, it also means that the file that is stored on the Steam Cloud is corrupt too, assuming that you have closed Steam at some point, as that is when Steam synchronises the files with the cloud. I don't really see much point of the Steam Cloud to be honest

Personally, if I were you I would disable the cloud.

Make copy of the Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\4389737\208500\remote folder and place on on your desktop.

Disconnect your wheel

Start the game on keyboard and create a new profile using the same driver name as you used before, and ALSO disable autosave (you will be asked about autosave)

As it's a new profile you will be taken to the YDT, just get back to the main menu ASAP

Change a couple of basic settings, go to the MyF1 menu and click SAVE. If you see it saving, a red rotating busy symbol (you will for sure as it's a new profile). That's the 1st stage done. (Your profile save files have now been over-written)

Close the game, and copy the remote folder contents (on your desktop) back into the Steam remote folder, and over-write all you new profile files.

Start the game with your keyboard (no wheel connected yet), and hopefully your profile is there and you do not get the Profile Corrupt warning. If it is corrupt, you're screwed, and you might as well create a new profile again, and start your whole game and career from scratch.

If you do get into the game, go to the MyF1 > Profile Menu and disable autosave again (it will be back now). Come out of that menu (or tweak another minor item from another menu) and hit the manual SAVE button. If it works you should be good to go .... You can also check the current state of your career and see what you have lost.

Close the game, connect your wheel, start the game, select the default wheel available to you (whatever one your using), and tweak the wheel settings to your taste.

Go back to the MyF1 menu and hit the SAVE again. It should still work.

Carry on playing until it happens again ;) Hopefully less likely with manual saves.

Next time you play, you can test that the save works, before you race. Do your race or sessions, tweak any setting you like, just make sure that you hit the save button when you have finally finished with the game.

Good luck .......

Damn ... did I just write all that again? ....... I must be mad! :O_o:

Thank you very much I'll try it right away *fingers crossed*, just 1 question, when creating a new profile, do I overwrite the old one? ;D

I've read it somewhere in the CM forum that custom control settings causes the autosave corrupt thing. In 2010 and 2011 I used the default settings (just rewrited them manually in the file) and NEVER had this problem. Now I was lazy to do it in the begining so I used custom settings and got the bug on the 2nd day. Now I use the modified file again.
I can't be sure if this is the true solution to the problem but as I said I never had this bug before.

Just tried using the default controller settings for my DFGT. Got though a few sessions ok but eventually it wouldnt save. Maybe you need to start a new save and keep to the default settings?

The only problem with this is that you cant customise your controller through the game. Instead I've found the controller mappings file in the "actionmap\" catagory and managed to edit the deadzone only. Anybody know how to edit the saturation and linearity through one of these files?

Just got the save bug again. I unticked the steam cloud thing and also disabled autosave and saved manually. Go to start my game today and check and see if it would save and nothing. May have to put it on the back burner until its fixed

Thank you very much I'll try it right away *fingers crossed*, just 1 question, when creating a new profile, do I overwrite the old one? ;D

Yes you overwrite it, you have a backup copy of it anyway, which you are about to try and use again, after you have created the new profile.

Zoltan maybe correct above, about your profile being broken, so it's no good using it, just start a new one and put up with the loss.

What I am saying is that it always worth a try, because if you are going to lose you career anyway, you might as well spend a few minutes attempting to get it back before giving up.

Zoltan could also be correct about the using a the default controller profile for your wheel, and not re-mapping and adjusting in game. However that means that you will have to get to know the controller's actionmap xml file, a bit better, and a lot of people would not be willing to do that.

He is suggesting that you remap everything you would do IN GAME, directly in the actionmap file. Personally I have only done that partially so far in F1 2012. In F1 2011, did most of the wheel's settings in the actionmap file. This meant that in F1 2011, when the save bug occurred or the game crashed on boot. I kept my wheel plugged in, started the game on the keyboard, selected my wheel, and was more or less good to go with just a couple of tweaks.

Whenever you edit the actionmap, you must start on the keyboard, then select the wheel, This forces the game to read that actionmap file you just edited, otherwise the game will rely on the previous actionmap settings it had stored.

But I am not getting into actionmap files here. This thread is about autosave, manual save, and attempted repair/recovery, initially trying to avoid losing your whole career. It might not work for you, but the only alternative is to start again anyway.

Well I am pretty well pissed off now.

After managing to save my career yesterday, so that I just lost P3 at China, and got the saving system working again, then swapping it to manual saves, I was reasonably happy.

Last night I did the China P3 session, when I had finished with it all, I manually saved the game and saw the 'busy' saving symbol.

Half an hour later I boot the program again, had a quick look at my career, and it said Q1 @ China ... good.

Tonight I started the game with the intention of doing Q1,2, and 3 @ China, but thought I would just check that the manual save is still working, so I clicked it ........ nothing. So I changed a minor setting then hit the manual save ..... again nothing, no saving symbol displayed.

So it's .... "go to Jail, do not pass go, and do not collect £200", to use a Monopoly analogy.

After many, many, many words, mostly starting with the letter 'F' ...... the best I could do is to go back to one of my many backups, and use the files from around 1 hour before I ran the P3 China session. That is the point that I got it working again.

So here I am ready to do P3 at China for the 3rd time (I'll skip it), but now not trusting the manual save either.

So all that I have wrote before may help someone recover their career a bit, especially if they have enough backups of their profile. But ...... and it's a big but, manual saves are no guarantee of continued success.

So thank you CM, thank you very bloody much!

Like I said, Im going to put it out on the back burner till a fix which is a shame. I love the game, but I can't see wasting time when I have to create a new profile every 3 races and start from scratch. Looks like I'll get plenty of time with GSC 2012 till then.

Well I just went in to skip that P3 at China, and go straight to Q, but the manual save has gone again ...............

I am going to start again from scratch, new profile, manual save. I don't expect it to last but will give it one more go ....

This is essentially the end of this thread for me, I wish others better luck than me, but you should take EVERYTHING I have said as 90% bull:poop:

Sorry that I got some people's hope up.

There's only 2 types of hope ..... No Hope and Bob Hope

:rolleyes:

Well I just went in to skip that P3 at China, and go straight to Q, but the manual save has gone again ...............

I am going to start again from scratch, new profile, manual save. I don't expect it to last but will give it one more go ....
That's how I had mine setup was manual saves only and no cloud and lost the ability to save after china

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back