2012 Red Bull RB8

scarbs.jpg

But i have to wonder what those winglets in the brakeduct is for...

Downforce.

Some teams, Ferrari for example tried to blow them but it´s so advanced and so irregular and hard to achieve that you would probably end up cooking the tires and blowing the brake duct inlets instead.

But if you get it to work you have downforce directly on the wheels which is very good.
Problem is an F1 engine is dynamic with different rpm´s, throttle position etc so it´s very ambitious.

the brake duct fins have been around for atleast the whole 2011 season as well.

Someone already mentioned it at F1T so i can´t take credit, but yes pretty damn cool :)
Is the plank organic? I thought they moved to a plastic type of plank in the recent years but i could be wrong on that one.

Nice to see Newey going old school :)

I remember Nico Rosberg saying last year that it's definitely made out of wood. He was trying to explain it to the German television crew and couldn't think of the German word for wood, so he called it 'tree' :D
Yup it´s wood, found something on F1.com that confirms it. I must have mixed it with something else.

At Monza, the FIA have introduced a new rule which means it is now prohibited to run a section of plank less than 1000mm in length. The plank is a hard wooden strip (also known as a skid block) fitted down the middle of a car's underside (see red arrow). This regulation is designed to prevent teams from running 'articulated' planks that are made up of multiple pieces.

the fine detail eh? love that last pic...but honestly i think they need to drop the "how much gas i can ge tinto the rear of the car ting" because its not working, the RB was developed to evolved around blowing diffuser...Newey needs to redesign teh car at this stage or find another major loophole. but for now im not complainig that he still trying hard about changing the "philosphy' of the car.

Then why didn't it affect Sauber? Their exhaust may not be 100% the same but it sure is the same concept.

Personally, I doubt that the exhausts even have that much of an impact now. They probably provide only a few hundredths instead of several tenths.

Then why didn't it affect Sauber? Their exhaust may not be 100% the same but it sure is the same concept.

Personally, I doubt that the exhausts even have that much of an impact now. They probably provide only a few hundredths instead of several tenths.
Because it looks nothing like Mclaren´s.

RBR worked good in the rain, they run similar setups. Vettel was catching Hamilton before he got a puncture.

Mclaren had no problems what so ever in Australia. Vettel even said he held Hamilton up for a while and Button was nowhere to be seen in the dry.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.