2012 Red Bull RB8

Well, Ferrari had a very similar problem with this idea and they aren't exactly cavemen either.

It is so often assumed that Adrian Newey succeeds with whatever he tries, but evidently even he can't break the laws of physics...

Obviously not..
But Very rarely have you seen Newey in the last 3 years develop stuff that does not work.
RBR have probably the best correllation between Simulator/CFD/Wind Tunnel/real life.

So it is without a doubt odd that this piece, such a substantial one did not work as planned.
I do however don´t think this is the last thing we will see of it.
They shot themselves in the foot by introducing it this late. Some small tweaks and more practice and i´m sure we will see it again.
On paper it is way better then the blowing of wishbones/monkey seat.

Edit: Ferrari´s solution was not to seal of the diffuser, it was to blow the rear brake duct fins.
Much more advanced and harder to do considering the tire, brake duct etc.
Getting downforce on an unsprung is a pretty good idea but a bit ambitious.

Seems they will run the updated exhaust layout in Oz afterall.

Meanwhile, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner told BBC radio on Wednesday that the team will take its updated car to Melbourne, despite its reliability and apparent handling problems at the final Barcelona test.
Team advisor Helmut Marko bluntly described the final day of pre-season testing, when Sebastian Vettel did a paltry 23 laps and was dead-last, as “****”, but said “sufficient” data was collected the day earlier by Mark Webber.
http://www.forumula1.com/2012/f1/f1...eed:+Forumula1-News+(Forumula1.net+-+F1+News)

I'm sure the RB8 is going to be top-tier but how are you sure it's going to be the best car? McLaren seems to be in top shape too.

Obviously nobody know that right now but it looks like a really good car if you watch video on it.
Mclaren looks good to but i think initially RBR will still be slightly ahead.

I have actually tipped Hamilton for the win this year :)

RBR bringing an entirely new aero package to Oz :)

Newey has been at it again :)

209h6aa.jpg

check out the state-of-the-art front wing!!
acq6ux.jpg

So i was right, the exhaust gases are directed inwards, not outwards. But i have to wonder what those winglets in the brakeduct is for... Maybe some of the under-the-sidepod airflow is aimed at them. IMHO, those winglets are illegal but suppose it's another loophole..

ta_article_940.jpg

He´s active on twitter as well.

He was asked that question and he responded "That´s exactly what it does"

Red Bull wants to close off the diffuser as much as possible because if you can do that you will gain the most from it.

If you look at the body work and the slight bend in the exhaust path you can see a clear line where the exhausts are ment to go at a certain speed.

Red-Bull-RB8-Test-2012-F-Schacht-fotoshowImage-d38c1c68-576837.jpg

Follow the burn marks but on the above picture and you´ll see that they are directed in that path.
uprb8.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years