2012 Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you honestly say, that those two safety car periods (especially the second one, right after he'd changed his tyres) weren't lucky for him? I'm not saying he wouldn't have caught up to Button without them, but he'd need quite a lot more time to do it and his tyres would be in a bit worse shape.

I completely agree, but I would say that he was UN-lucky rather than lucky.
How can you say that?
Just compare Alonso's and Vettel's race:
Alonso did a good race, had a good start, good pace and did no mistakes (well a little one at the 1st resart, but that wasn't critical) and ended up 2nd only profiting from Hamiltons failure.
Vettel however started last (had a tweakd setup which helped alot), knocked his front wing off and ended up 3rd 4s behind Alonso.
How can you say he wasn't lucky and claiming he was unlucky. Yes he did a good job, but it was neither the car that was miles faster than everyone elso nor Vettel's brilliant overtaking. Yes he did 1 or 2 really good moves but that doens't make him end up in 3rd.

It is quite obvious that Vettel had some major luck today becasue almost alle incidents that happend, helped him.
I'm not saying he is bad, but you just have to look at it realisticly

He would habe ended up between 6th or 9th with a normal race.

By the way Karthikeyan had a hydraulic pressure issue which caused his steering to go "rock solid", thus him going slow through those fast right handers. Nico was just in the wrong place at the wrong time there.

It wasn't just the time gained through safety car phases, but also the other cars which were taken out in front of him. Senna, Grosjean and Hülkenberg right at the start, Maldonado spinning Webber (dropping Webber further back so RB could pit him to let Vettel past), as well as Webber making Massa wet his pants (otherwise, Massa would have held him up forever with the top speed of the Ferrari). Also, if the crash-kiddie pack (Perez, Grosjean, Di Resta) hadn't wasted so much time on fighting, Vettel couldn't have pitted into free air on his second stop. Additionally, the SC meant he didn't have to deal with Maldonado. Plus, Hamilton not making it to the end, of course.
All these things always happened just when he needed them to happen. Now, I'm not one of the people saying that Vettel is a bad driver, but this race wasn't sufficient proof of him being an excellent one.

Also, why is him swearing on the podium such a big deal? Total non-issue, if you ask me :rolleyes:

Still, if it wasn't for how good RBR are with strategy Vettel wouldn't finish 3rd.

When they detected that he was loosing a bit of time with Alonso before the second SC they inmediately called him to change tyres, which resulted in him being already out when the second SC came out. If it was Ferrari, they would have wait for 3 laps to see if he was really loosing time, then call Massa to see if the tyres would be ok, then call him, resulting in being too late.

Also you can do that strategies when you have the best car on the grid because you have bigger margin to work with.

Was Vettel lukcy? Yes. Was he 3rd only because of the luck? No.

How can you say that?
Just compare Alonso's and Vettel's race:
Alonso did a good race, had a good start, good pace and did no mistakes (well a little one at the 1st resart, but that wasn't critical) and ended up 2nd only profiting from Hamiltons failure.
Vettel however started last (had a tweakd setup which helped alot), knocked his front wing off and ended up 3rd 4s behind Alonso.
How can you say he wasn't lucky and claiming he was unlucky. Yes he did a good job, but it was neither the car that was miles faster than everyone elso nor Vettel's brilliant overtaking. Yes he did 1 or 2 really good moves but that doens't make him end up in 3rd.

It is quite obvious that Vettel had some major luck today becasue almost alle incidents that happend, helped him.
I'm not saying he is bad, but you just have to look at it realisticly

He would habe ended up between 6th or 9th with a normal race.

Look,
Vettel started Last, while he had quallied 3rd, yet in the opening laps, he pulls off some amazing moves, and moves to 12th. However, he goes to the back of the grid, again, then with some great strategy (and the SC, of cource), he moves to bloody 3rd place. See what I mean? He still moved passed 30 cars in total, SC or not.

Still, if it wasn't for how good RBR are with strategy Vettel wouldn't finish 3rd.

When they detected that he was loosing a bit of time with Alonso before the second SC they inmediately called him to change tyres, which resulted in him being already out when the second SC came out. If it was Ferrari, they would have wait for 3 laps to see if he was really loosing time, then call Massa to see if the tyres would be ok, then call him, resulting in being too late.

Also you can do that strategies when you have the best car on the grid because you have bigger margin to work with.

Was Vettel lukcy? Yes. Was he 3rd only because of the luck? No.
You got the Point Exactly In My view The 2nd SC came out for him to allow into Podium or else he could have ended up P4 or May be P3 due to Fresher Rubber and quicker tire but Credit you can't fault seb and say he was Lucky for getting P3 he drove the race absolutely brilliant Carved his way through the field.

yet in the opening laps, he pulls off some amazing moves, and moves to 12th.
So 1 HRT, 2 Marussia, 2 Caterham moved him from 23 to 18. Those were all DRS moves against cars that have no KERS (except Caterham) and ran several secounds slower than everybody else.
Di Resta, Hülkenberg, Senna, Rosberg, Grosjean all crashing out or having punctures puts him in 13th after 2 or 3 laps. What was amazing about that?

So 1 HRT, 2 Marussia, 2 Caterham moved him from 23 to 18. Those were all DRS moves against cars that have no KERS (except Caterham) and ran several secounds slower than everybody else.
Di Resta, Hülkenberg, Senna, Rosberg, Grosjean all crashing out or having punctures puts him in 13th after 2 or 3 laps. What was amazing about that?
Hulkenberg was out fast, so was Rosberg. He passed Senna (which caused his damage wing IIRC), passed PDR, Grosjean too (while over the racing line, he gave it back and passed him again). Smart stops and SCs made sure he kept ahead of that pack of Webber, Grosjean and Perez who had that nice little derby.

Hulkenberg was out fast, so was Rosberg. He passed Senna (which caused his damage wing IIRC), passed PDR, Grosjean too (while over the racing line, he gave it back and passed him again). Smart stops and SCs made sure he kept ahead of that pack of Webber, Grosjean and Perez who had that nice little derby.
Di Resta had a puncture. I was talking about the first few laps which you titled as "amazing". That's why I only quoted that part of your post.
I'm not talking about Grosjean and Button further in the race. That were some good moves, but that's about it in my opinion.

Di Resta had a puncture. I was talking about the first few laps which you titled as "amazing". That's why I only quoted that part of your post.
I'm not talking about Grosjean and Button further in the race. That were some good moves, but that's about it in my opinion.
You didn't quote anything of mine, pay attention mate.

Is the result of Vettel strange? Is he this good or is the rest of the field this bad?
As the race was great. Many crashes many overtakes.

Also why wanted the F1 Sauber in 2007 a 15th ranked Formel Renault 3.5 driver?
Or did he already had a big money sponsor on his side?
Not complaining about Vettel. He is just great. But this sport isnt fair. When you start last und get third.
Then something must be wrong.

Is the result of Vettel strange? Is he this good or is the rest of the field this bad?
As the race was great. Many crashes many overtakes.

Not complaining about Vettel. He is just great. But this sport isnt fair. When you start last und get third.
yes a lot of people crashed which must have given Vettel a lot of places plus the second safety car helped him

Srry, mate.
But doesn't change that I was only refering to the first few laps.
No problemo. I understand your point more now as I didn't see you were talking about the opening laps.
Are we talking about that new Mexican driver? In that case Sauber has a big Mexican sponsor, as in richest man in the world kind of sponsorship. I'd think they would like to see that money still come in. It may be a factor.

There is nothing wrong. It's all about choosing a race setup strategy and then adapting your strategy during the race. I have to laugh every time someone says Ferrari is a slow car. Ferrari is NOT a slow car, at least in the races when it counts they are one of the fastest. Alonso and his Ferrari engineers purposely setup their car to give up a little speed in qualifying and make it up with superior speed in the race. Normally Red Bull sets up their cars to be fast out of the corners but they are hitting the rev limiters half way down the straights. This allows Red Bull to qualify on or near pole with the hope that they can stay far enough ahead of the competition to not become a victim in the DRS zones. But today with Vettel having to start at the back of the pack, they adapted their setup strategy to give Vettel longer gears and less aero because they knew he would need to do a lot of passing.

What Vettel did today (having a faster race setup) is what Alonso has done all season long. But it sure makes for a nice narrative where people think Alonso does well in slow car all because for some dumb reason they refuse to recognize qualifying and the races are two different things. There are always pros and cons, there is no perfect setup. The teams just do what they think they need to do to win.

The reason he was 15th was because he only participated in 3 out of 17 races, in which he won one race and also had a 2nd place finish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Formula_Renault_3.5_Series_season

He fully participated the Formula 3 euro series in which he got 2nd overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Formula_3_Euro_Series_season

And also as a Test driver for Sauber in 2006, he set the fastest time in practise sessions.
On his testing debut, Vettel set the fastest time in the second Friday Free Practice before the race.[10] In his second testing session in the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, he set the fastest time in both Friday practice sessions, a race weekend in which all the BMW cars were quick, with his predecessor Robert Kubica finishing on the podium in the race. source: wikipedia

Another important point is that is he was leading the 2007 Formula 3.5 Renault championship and im pretty sure he would have won it. But he was pulled from the Championship by his F1 team to replace Kubica. (that was before his first F1 debut in Indianapolis)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Formula_Renault_3.5_Series_season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play