2009 V8 Supercars Season

I can only dream of seeing those races live.. Oran Park event must be fantastic to see irl..

Who is the favorite for the win?

Yep, very nice and interesting track. Should be a good finale to the season this weekend.

For the overall Championship, Jamie Whincup should win easily, only Mark Winterbottom can beat him, but Whincup would have to have a shocker.
For this round, Whincup would go in as favourite on current form, I think he has won 8 of the last 9 races, but in this class, anything can happen. Maybe Whincup will take it easy and just go for the needed points to win the Championship, but I doubt it.
Yipee, it's certainly a Ford win for the season. :good:

• Stuart Neal

let's hope the Red Baron behaves himself and goes out on a good note. Yes it's a Ford weekend for sure!

Well there we go. Another season over, and a new champion in Jamie Whincup. That was an amazing bounce back from the shocker in Hamilton that he had. :thumb: (I'd be cheering for him even more if he was driving a Holden... :D) Grats anyway to Whincup, Team Vodafone and Ford. Goodbye Oran Park, and Goodbye Mark Skaife. We will miss you both. :sad:

Domination by Whincup all season really, especially considering he lost 300 points after he was taken out in NZ. Good on him :)

On to next year, where Holden won't have its controversial HRT/HSVDT superteam, but the FG Falcons will be slower than the BFs...makes me wonder if some of the BFs will beat the FG's?

• Stuart Neal

did you know the FG's are shorter than the BF's? how will they handle? Better or worse?

• Stuart Neal

Ben & Rhys, we have lost 2 of the best 'Club' tracks in Sydney due to urban developments. The other was Amaroo Park. You can download it for GTL. It was a great track.

I can't believe they are turning Oran Park into housing developments :(
Absolute disgrace
http://forum.globalf1.net/index.php?showtopic=48663&pid=369088&st=0&#entry369088

It still wont happen for a few years yet but the indecision lead V8 Supercars Australia to source a viable venue which lead to the Homebush Bay Street Circuit.

I just happened to be out at Oran Park yesterday for a V8 Drive Day experience. It was an absolute ball. We did practice sessions and qualifying in the morning then ran 2 races after lunch and after the racing was a presentation of trophies to the winners. I picked up the fastest lap in qualifying trophy and another for 1st place after getting 2 wins from 2 races :D

It still wont happen for a few years yet but the indecision lead V8 Supercars Australia to source a viable venue which lead to the Homebush Bay Street Circuit.

I just happened to be out at Oran Park yesterday for a V8 Drive Day experience. It was an absolute ball. We did practice sessions and qualifying in the morning then ran 2 races after lunch and after the racing was a presentation of trophies to the winners. I picked up the fastest lap in qualifying trophy and another for 1st place after getting 2 wins from 2 races :D

Show off :D

• Wido Rossen

Street circuit in Sydney

V8 SUPERCARS finally has its Sydney street race after many years of negotiations.
The first 'Sydney 400' will for 2009 act as the Grand Finale to the Championship on December 4-6, at Homebush.
The much-anticipated street race will be the first of five in a deal that had many obstacles in it's path.

“Today is the most significant day in the 12 years of V8 Supercar racing,” quipped V8SA Chairman Tony Cochrane shortly after the newly appointed NSW Premier, Nathan Rees had confirmed his government’s intention to sign a five-year, $30 million dollar contract to provide the infrastructure and services for the event.

sydney.jpg

The rest of the annual event costs, and thus the risk, will be borne by V8 Supercars Australia.

Premier Rees confirmed that, while he would have preferred to finalise the contract completely within the context of the new State mini-budget now being prepared by his government, time was an issue: “So, we have taken the decision now to be involved, and the final contract will be completed soon. If we had not taken this decision, the event would have been lost to Sydney.”

Cochrane confirmed to MNews that “there was a Plan B”, but would not elaborate further.

‘Economic benefit’ figures of $30m per year, international media coverage, and 15,000 international/interstate visitors convinced the incoming premier to complete the process started by his predecessor Maurice Iemma.

Indeed, MNews understands Iemma was due to announce the event just days after his unplanned, sudden resignation.

Under some calendar time pressures from V8SA, the incoming premier’s administration had to make a quick decision, and did so.

Cochrane is conscious of the difficulties in cracking the Sydney sports market (indeed Homebush’s ANZ Stadium drew just 20,000 to an AFL final just a fortnight ago, admittedly on a rainy night), but believes that the full-on entertainment weekend – including Saturday night concert – will do the job.

Event tickets will allow free travel for the weekend on Sydney’s public transport services.

A handful of demonstrators, a couple extolling the virtues of Eastern Creek’s expansion plans, shouted their message during the outdoor presentation, but were otherwise restrained. Three trees for each of the 140 that will need to be removed, will be planted.

( source Touringcar times )

• Wido Rossen

Jacques Villeneuve to drive Super Cheap racing ?

Reports from Australia suggest that former Formula 1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve is being targeted to join Super Cheap Racing.
Team owner Paul Morris, who recently retired from driving, wants the son of legendary F1 racer, Gilles Villeneuve, to take his place in the Holden team, alongside former V8 champ Russell Ingall.

Morris has connections with former Champ Car team boss Barry Green, now part of Villeneuve's management team, from when he raced in Indy Lights in the late 1990s. He said that Green had initially approached him about a Bathurst drive for Villeneuve last year but that there was insufficient time to complete a deal.

Now Morris wants to get Villeneuve into the car for the full V8 championship.

"This is real. Absolutely. He is pretty keen to do it," Morris told the Herald Sun newspaper.

"It would be the full season. Not just one race. If we can make a bit of a buzz about it then I think it can definitely happen.

"We would have to write about $2 million in sponsorship so we could run the car and pay him to drive.

"How long since we've had a Formula One driver in touring cars in Australia? The last one was Alan Jones. And if he drives as good as AJ, he will be all right.

"The next step would be to get him out here to drive the car."

( source Touringcar Times )

Villeneuve is currently competing in the Speedcar Series in the Middle East, having so far failed to secure a regular NASCAR drive.

Jacques Villeneuve to drive Super Cheap racing ?

Interesting news, that would add some more international flavour to the series.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the Vodafone Triple Eight Racing Team (Jamie Whincup / Craig Lowndes). They are the current manufacturer's champs, won the last three Bathurst races, and Whincup is current Series Champion. Despite all this success, Ford took a decision to cut their support to only two teams and decided to drop Triple Eight, a staggering decision really.
Last I read, they were looking at swapping to a Holden, or staying with a Ford but removing all Ford badges from the car and racing as independents.

It will be interesting to watch developments.

• Josh Healy

Here is the 2009 line-up as it stands.

Team Vodaphone
Jamie Wincup
Craig Lowndes

Toll Holden Racing Team
Garth Tander
Will Davidson

Autobarn Racing Team
Paul Dumbrell (PWR License sold to Walkinshaw Performance)
Andrew Thompson (Possible driver if Walkinshaw secure 4th license)

Kelly Racing
Rick Kelly
Todd Kelly

SuperCheap Auto Racing
Russell Ingall
Vacant seat (Numerous driver possibilities)

Jim Beam Racing
James Courtney
Steven Johnson

Ford Performance Racing
Steven Richards
Mark Winterbottom

Stone Brothers Racing
Shane Van Gisbergen
Jason Bright (joined SBR with own license, with Fujitsu as sponser)
Alex Davidson (Backing from IRWIN Tools)

Paul Cruickshank Racing
Fabian Coulthard (New sponser, Wilson Security)
Michael Patrizi (Britek 2nd license leased to PCR, Patrizi with Ausdrill sponsership)

Garry Rogers Motorsport
Lee Holdsworth
Michael Caruso

Brad Jones Racing
Jason Richards (Released from SprintGas Racing, racing BOC car)
Cameron McConville (racing WOW car)

New Team (Name undecided)
Marcus Marshall (Acquiring Jim Morton license, sponser Intrabill)

Rod Nash Racing
Tony D'Alberto

Sprint Gas Racing
Greg Murphy
Jason Bargwanna

Future Unsure
Jack Perkins (Both Perkins Motorsport licenses can be leased or sold)
Team Kiwi Racing (Team and drivers unsure)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back