2009 V8 Supercars Season

• Wido Rossen

Leander Tander to drive the Enduros

Australia's top female motor racer, Leanne Tander is set to bring girl power to V8 Supercars, having earned a hotly-contested enduro drive with Wilson Security Racing (WSR) for the 2009 season.
Far from being a token female, 28-year-old Tander is a highly accomplished racer in her own right and has made a habit of outpacing most of her male counterparts in many of Australia's leading racing categories.
By Ed Peters Tuesday, 03 March 2009 23:42 CET
No stranger to V8 Supercar racing, Tander spent the 2001 and 2002 seasons battling the blokes in the V8 Supercar Development Series and became the first and only woman to stand on the podium of a V8 Supercar race.

"To be honest, 98% of the time I forget that I'm any different to anyone else out there. Everybody on the track is out there to win – they want to beat every single person, I want to beat every single person; we're really no different in that regard."

The wife of 2007 V8 Supercar Champion, Garth Tander, Mrs Tander is also relishing the opportunity to compete against her husband in this year's 500km battle at Phillip Island and the world-renowned Bathurst 1000 at Mount Panorama.

"In 2001, I was entered in the Bathurst 1000, but I never got the chance to race. I was ready to go, standing in pit lane waiting for the car to come in because my co-driver was on his in-lap and he crashed it on the way into pit lane. That ended our race before I'd even gotten in the car.

"So this year will be my first year to actually race a V8 Supercar at Bathurst."

Not only will Mrs Tander take on the men, it will be husband versus wife, and Ford versus Holden as she climbs aboard the WSR Falcon, setting up a monumental on-track battle and compelling viewing for V8 Supercar fans.

The extraordinary Tander versus Tander battle will be the first time a married couple will race each other in V8 Supercars.

"We've never had the opportunity to race wheel-to-wheel and I don't think we will be necessarily racing wheel-to-wheel this year either, but to be in the same race with my husband, I'm really looking forward to it." said Leanne.

Eager to get some time behind the wheel of the Wilson Security Racing Falcon, Tander's first scheduled outing in the V8 Supercar will be in the team's upcoming test day at Queensland Raceway on Wednesday 11 March.

"Obviously I'm very excited. When the contract was signed and everything was finalised, I couldn't stop grinning for the rest of the day; I'm just thrilled.

"Now that this is locked away, it has really rejuvenated me and I'm 100% focused on doing the best job I can at the enduros for Wilson Security Racing."

The 2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series' endurance events will see Tander in full race mode in the WSR Falcon for the first time at the L&H 500 Phillip Island on 11-13 September before she takes on 'the Mountain' in the prestigious Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 on 8-11 October.

In addition to her racing duties, Tander's professional approach and bright personality will also see her employed as a brand ambassador for Wilson Security throughout 2009 and beyond.

Paul Cruickshank Wilson Security Racing Team Pricipal said: "I'm delighted to welcome Leanne into the team - she is an outstanding driver and she has absolutely earned this opportunity.

"Leanne has a lot of experience in a wide variety of cars and has shown that she can adapt very quickly to her surrounds.

"There are a string of lap records and pole positions that attest to how quick Leanne is, and she's racked up plenty of race wins in a range of national categories, which leaves no doubt about the quality of her race craft.

"Being a woman in such a male-dominated sport, she has naturally worked extra hard to prove herself; she is an extremely motivated and talented racer and I really look forward to working with her.

"Having announced our complete driver line-up for 2009, we're keen to start testing with the whole team, and we will confirm our driver pairings closer to the enduros."

leander.jpg

( source Touringcartimes.com )

• Wido Rossen

Teams enterd for 2009

The following teams have entered the series for 2009.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

Leanne is a good driver, and actually not a novice in V8 supercars or touring car racing.
I seriously doubt she will be racing toe to toe with Garth though, he'll be way up front, at the pointy end.

• Wido Rossen

Access Cash team revealed

The team is owned by Intabill Directors Daniel Tzvetkoff and Sam Sciacca, they have established a state-of-the-art workshop on the Gold Coast. Keith Evers, a regular in the V8 paddock will head up the outfit as team manager.

Marcus Marhsall unveiled the Team IntaRacing Falcon at Reddacliff Place in Brisbane, the car has a distinctive red and black livery carries the Access Cash.com logo, a brand new personal loan company.

accescash.jpg

Marshall said he was looking forward to being an integral part of the new operation which has brought a new sponsor and product to the fan-favourite sport of V8 Supercar Racing.

"It is great to team up with Intabill as the company enters V8 Supercar competition for the first time," said Marshall.

"I have little doubt that our racecar and the brand new product it promotes, Access Cash, will be instantly recognisable on the track with such a bold, clean livery."

"This year I am feeling the best I have ever felt going into a V8 Supercar Championship and I believe that we have the right equipment and personnel to compete towards the pointy end of the field," he said.

Team IntaRacing have taken on the serivces of the winners of last year's championship, Triple Eight Race Engineering. They will supply Marshall with a Ford BF Falcon for the opening rounds of the 2009 V8 Supercar Series while a newer FG Falcon is under construction.

Team IntaRacing Manager, Keith Evers said given his previous experience, Marshall would be a genuine contender in the 2009 V8 Supercar Series.

"When you look at Marcus' [Marshall] resume he is an extremely experienced driver and we look forward to seeing that come through when he gets behind the wheel of one of the latest generation BF Falcons out of the Triple Eight Race Engineering stable," said Evers.

Intabill Director of Business Development Daniel Tzvetkoff said he was pleased to support one of Australia's most successful sporting competitions.

"V8 Supercars are a mainstay of Australian sport and Intabill is proud to be associated with this great competition," said Tzvetkoff.

"Competing in the series will provide Access Cash brand exposure to a huge audience, with the series attracting more than 22 million television viewers in 2007," he said.

"We view the sponsorship of the team as a strategic marketing decision and we believe it will provide solid returns over the long-term by further raising awareness of our services."

• Wido Rossen

V8 Supercars 2009 - Round 1 : Clipsal 500 Adelaide street circuit

Round 1 will be driven on 19-22 March.

adelaide2009.jpg

Circuit Length 3.22 km
Race Direction Clockwise
Interesting Fact The Clipsal 500 is the only event to be inducted into the V8 Supercar Hall of Fame.

• Wido Rossen

In europe it is on Motors TV.
Aussie`s watch it on Bigpond a guess .
But now idea where else.

• TO/GA

I watched from the V8 website.
I found a link to live broadcast from Channel 7.

The race was very, very good.
Unfortunately, Tander had a problem in the engine and abandoned the race, but today, let's watch the Race 2.

GO HOLDEN!!!!

• Josh Healy

Ohh man...feel so sorry for Tander and Lowndes for the Power Steering problems...

But most of all Holdsworth...He finished second but he has to start 10th because of the stupid Qual rules :(

Us Aussies watch it live on Channel 7, getting all the support races aswell to watch which includes the Utes and Australian GT.

• Wido Rossen

V8 Supercars 2009 - Round 2 : ING Australian Grand Prix, Albert Park, Victoria

Round 2 will be driven from 26 - 29 Mar 2009

albertpark.jpg

Circuit Length : 5.303km
Race Direction : Clockwise
Interesting Fact : Grandstands and grassed viewing mounds surround the circuit

Really enjoyed the two races. Whincup is a class apart at the moemnt. Such bad luck for Lowndes and Tander in Race 1, great fightback by Lowndes in Race 2. Courtney had a nightmare weekend.

Great Video from the past at Bathurst

Not quite the current V8 Supercars, but a great video from an earlier era. Anyone who knows Bathurst can only imagine how treacherous that mountain is in the wet. This was from a pole shootout.

What amazing driving from Kev Bartlett in the Camaro.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Z40mMDAyk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

1987 DR30 Nissan Skyline, Glen Seaton.
Just finished raining, he's on slick tyres.
It shows the awesome car control needed with turbo, rear wheel drive, slicks and a wet road (only a short clip unfortunetly)... oh and I love my skylines :-P

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqszux7F1JA[/ame]

• Wido Rossen

Ford dominates Aussie ING V8 GP

Craig Lowndes took a walk in the park, almost literally, with the easiest of wins in the V8 Supercar Sprint Gas Manufacturer’s Challenge in Melbourne today.

Lowndes looked as though a leisurely Sunday drive was on his agenda when he took the third and final V8 Supercar race at the ING Australian Formula One Grand Prix through the streets of Albert – Park.

His win ironically helped seal the Sprint Gas Challenge for Ford – the manufacturer that last year chose not to continue backing Lowndes’ Championship winning TeamVodafone outfit.

But that was all forgotten in the “Purple Pig” car of Lowndes who scored a massive win over Ford Performance Racing’s Mark Winterbottom and Toll Holden Racing Team’s Will Davison – the same three drivers to occupy the top positions in all three races this weekend.

Today Winterbottom flew out of the blocks and tore away from the field. For the third time Lowndes seemed to struggle from the start line and Davison snuck up his inside for the early position behind Winterbottom.

But Lowndes was not to be undone. The TeamVodafone racer was clearly on new tyres for the final race, having alluded the previous day to the fact they had kept a set up their sleeve for today’s race.

“Our starts haven’t been too great this weekend,” said Lowndes.

“We tried different methods but it’s not good enough going into the next Championship event in Hamilton in a few weeks time.

“The car was working really well. We didn’t take too many risks. I’m enthusiastic about the year and we have hit the ground running. It’s a much better start than last year with a crash in Adelaide so all is looking good.”

Davison, a podium getter in the first round of the V8 Supercar Championship Series in Adelaide last weekend, knew things might be tough with Lowndes on new tyres.

“I had a few ideas what was going on after yesterday,” Davison said of the battle of the tyres. “It usually happens here (a non-Championship event) when you are trying to save tyres for the year ahead. I think we had tyres from about a year ago.”

It took Lowndes no time to lap up Winterbottom and was on his bumper on just the second lap, taking the lead back late on lap three with a neat pass underneath Winterbottom on turn 15.

• Wido Rossen

V8 Supercars 2009 - Round 3 : Hamilton 400 in New Zealand

Next round will be driven from 17th till 19th of April.

hamiton400.jpg

Circuit Length 3.4km
Race Direction Clockwise

• Andrew Dawes

What was with the Valvoline Garry Roger Motorsport cars (#33 & #34)
Both were 10 seconds behind the field on lap 1 in both race 2 & race 3. Were they simply protecting their cars because there was no points on offer???

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 120 70.2%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 42 24.6%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 34 19.9%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 33 19.3%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 34 19.9%