2009 V8 Supercars Season

Looks like a good tip - Winterbottom on pole :)

heh Heh! I'd like to think so but this is Bathurst and 8 hrs of hard slog racing.
Pole for Bathurst doesn't usually mean too much, just and indication of who is fast for a lap or two.

I'll be hoping for my favourites Lowndes / Whincup to make history with three on the trot, but Winterbottom / Richards are in a quick car (has been all season) and are good over the long distances too.

Expect anything for this race, including the weather. I wonder if we'll get anything like last years dramatic wet, slick tyres, 8 car shootout over the final laps.

• Jaius Dewing

wow i just saw what happened to radisich!!!! think he broke hes ankle...

I hope they can fix rick's car and get him out ther tomorrow but it didnt look to promising, but then again stranger things have happened

There you go Wido, you should be pleased. Tander put the Holden on final pole position for the race, a great lap in the top 10 shootout.

Only the race to go tomorrow now. It all starts again. :becky:

• Wido Rossen

Yeah , that`s what i like to see.....Holden rules.........( in practice ).
But it has to be done in the race , and that`s a whole different story.
Like the way they change the brake pads with those big clippers.
Hoping for close action racing.

I`m gonna put my digital TV recorder on record for the first hour so i dont have to mis anything.

I`m kinda wondering what those BTCC boy`s will do in this race.

Hope you all enjoy the race guy`s:thumb:

• Wido Rossen

Damm that whas a nasty crash from Paul.
With just injuries at both his ankles he is very lucky.

HSV-car-after-Radisich-smas.jpg

Kelly was booked to pilot the #15 HSV Dealer Team Commodore with Paul Radisich, but the team withdrew that car from the race following an accident in practice this morning with Radisich at the wheel.

Stewards have sanctioned Kelly, who won Bathurst in 2003 and 2004 with Greg Murphy, to move across to the #16 Autobarn Commodore for the Great Race with team mate Paul Dumbrell, who qualified the car eighth quickest yesterday.

Rick-Autobarn.jpg

Well it`s almost time for the warmup and then lets get on with it.....:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Hope Holden will take:first: place.

Yep, there were many nasty accidents on Saturdays racing. It's one very treachorous track.
There was another extremely serious smash during friday practice, almost identical to the fatal accident of 2006. Same spot, same circumstances, only this time the hit was a not quite in the drivers door.
Paul Weel had hit the wall over the top of the mountain and was prone, across the track. Another car came over the top at full speed and T-Boned him. Miraculously Paul Weel survived with not too serious injuries.

You have to admire these guys who drive this event.

• Wido Rossen

yeah thats the other a mean.
That could have been a serious crash.

Well, i`ve made it on time.
WTCC race is overand just saw the last two llaps of the carrera cup.
So i`m all set to have maximum fun.

OMG, Lowdness , what have you done with your kids head ??created a little skinhead...:)

Wow - three in a year a row!

Warren is a happy bunny.

Btw Pither's driving was absolutely unacceptable - he saw the yellows, two other cars had managed to avoid Weel - why couldn't Pither? You can tell from his voice in the interview that he knows he's in deep s***.

Thank God the collision was just behind the B pillar, I shudder to think what would have happened if it had hit just in front instead.

• Wido Rossen

What can i say......:tape:

Well done to team vodaphone.
To bad the crew made a mistake at Courtney`s car.
They never should have touched that anti rolbar.
And no luck for Tander and Skaife.
To lose it at the start.....shame.
Pretty mutch identical to last year, with the diffierence that now the clutch came back.

Always a big happening to see those big boy`s with there big toy`s.

You ever been there Warren ?

You ever been there Warren ?

Yep, I sure have. When I was working in Sydney, my company car was an Audi A4, so I took it up to Bathurst and drove the track. It is normally a public road except for these special events.

All I can say is that, in real life, it is much scarier than it looks on TV. The steepness of the climbs and descents are much more than you think, and the track seems narrower too. It is amazing to drive it, but you quickly realise just how good those V8 Supercar guys are, the speed they drive across the top of the mountain is incredible and requires real balls.

• Jaius Dewing

well im not happy, 3 years in a row ive been having bbq's round mine for Bathurst only to see the bloody fords win! Wats worse is I hafta look at my old man with his huge grin on his face after the race cause he likes fords and just loves to give me stick when they win....
Oh well i guess holdens won the last 2 championships so I cant complain really (and will probally win this one 2)!

All in all, still a good day tho... and i was happy to see murph and richards get back up there and get to second! Good effort

By the way, did anyone see Frosty crying in the pits when Richo got overtaken?? Man I know it must be an emotional race but wow.....

V8's and Indy Series at Surfers Paradise

Forgot to let you know, the V8's are at Surfers this weekend as a joint event with the Indy Cars. It is a hugely popular and well promoted event for Queensland (my home state) but this weekend has resulted in lots of argy bargy, threats and bluff from the various promoters, organisers, series bosses and the State Government (who sponsor it every year).
Basically the Americans have threatened to cancel their involvement after this one unless the date is moved to earlier in the year (to suit their football season TV coverage), but the proposed date would clash with Australia's huge grand finals of our football codes. The usual battle over TV dollars.

It is still being played out but locally it looks very likely that Australian organisers will call the USA threat and say bye bye. The V8 supercar's are the biggest crowd pullers anyway in Australia, and now Alan Jones has advised that the A1 GP series are dying to come to the party.
It will be interesting to see the outcome but I'm sure the V8 / A1 GP event will be a huge success.

BTW, first V8 race was held Saturday, and the top 3 in the championship dominated.
1. Whincup
2. Tander
3. Winterbottom.

2 more Races today.

EDIT: Update for Race 2, identical results for top 3.

EDIT 2: Update for race 3, exact same result again.

• Jaius Dewing

yeh, to tell you the truth i went to surfers last year for the event and was only interested in watching the V8 supercars. In fact most of the people i talked didnt even bother to turn up for the indy cars so loosing them wont be any loss to australia. I think it is a great testament to the power of the V8 supercars in Oz and how successful and popular they really are. You only need to see how many people this series pulls for the clipsal 500 - almost 300,000 people over four days and thats just for touring cars....

On the downside though as far as V8's goes it was a very uneventful 3 races on the weekend, a little boring i thought as the Surfers track doesnt really allow much passing. Not like the great street circuit we have here in Adelaide which always throws up something exciting! hehe....

• Wido Rossen

Skaife retires from Australian V8 Supercars

Mark Skaife has confirmed his retirement from the Australian V8 Supercar Championship and full-time racing. After this season the Australian will put his helmet on the shelf for good.
"I've always admired sportspeople who know when it's time to retire, rather than waiting to be told," said Skaife.
Skaife started his racing career, as most drivers, in karting. He took his first major touring car title in the 1992 Australian touring car championship, driving a Nissan.

"Motor racing has been my life for the past 21 years and, as any professional sportsperson will attest, if you have a love and passion for what you are doing, for the competition and being on top of your game, then retirement is not something you ever easily consider."

Skaife holds the record of most wins, 40, in the V8SC Championship, beating the previous record holder, legendary Peter Brock.

"But the reality is that you do come to point in your career when you have a decision to make. I'm looking to the future for both myself and the Toll Holden Racing Team, and while this decision ends one phase of my career, I'm confident it will also open doors and exciting new opportunities."

Titles:

1986 Victorian Laser Series Ford Laser Tyretown Racing
1991 Australian Drivers' Championship Spa FB003 Holden Gibson Motor Sport
1992 Australian Touring Car Championship Nissan Skyline BNR32 GT-R Gibson Motor Sport
1992 Australian Drivers' Championship Spa FB003 Holden Gibson Motor Sport
1993 Australian Drivers' Championship Lola T91/50 Holden Gibson Motor Sport
1994 Australian Touring Car Championship Holden Commodore VP Gibson Motor Sport
2000 V8SC Holden Commodore VT Holden Racing Team
2001 V8SC Holden Commodore VX Holden Racing Team
2002 V8SC Series Holden Commodore VX Holden Racing Team

Sad news, he was really a legendary driver. One of the names that actually is known in Europe as well!
I am sure we will see him back in the future as a Holden Teamboss

Indy's and V8SC on one track. Living in Surfers Paradise is already a gift, but having such weekend coming: wow.. Any of our Aussies will be present there?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 285 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%