X-Motor Racing

• Barbapoil

Last weekend we used XMR for the first time as a simulator for the MHRT car project. We have been working for more than a month with Eugene, the developper to get the car and the track modelized in order to perform the series of test intended. After much physics tuning and car data inserted into Vehicle Physics, the physic editor of XMR, we had reach the maximum of fidelity possible. It was now time to see how the car would drive. The setup used to perform the trials is a custom built racing cockpit with G25 steering wheel and 52 inches flat screen with 500 watts audio surround system. More than enough to get a good immersion into a race car at this point.

The idea behind simulating the car in XMR was to test different powertrain and drivetrain configurations. It gave us a rough idea of the way the car would perform on an endurance event around an autocross track. The XMR team managed to recreate a track similar to the 2008 Formula Hybrid endurance track, on wich 24 different drivetrains were tested. Each drivetrain were runned for 10 to 20 laps, with fast laps starting around the 6th or 7th lap when the tire temperature was good enough. The variation of slow and fast corners then gave us an idea of how well each different gear ratios and power outputs would handle the track. Slow laps were timed at around 37.5 sec. and fast laps at 35 sec. 10 drivetrains were then selected and rerunned with tweaked suspensions to suit either high power or high torque.

After 850 km. of trials, the data collected in the telemetry will now be analyzed and the drive cycles of the best laps will be inserted into another powertrain simulation. This will calculate the energy needed vs the energy available, it will also simulate the increase in temperature of the electric motors. At the end of this serie of test, a few drivetrains will be selected. They might not be the fastest, but they will be usable in relation to the stored energy and the safe working temperatures of the powertrain.

According to Albert Matthews from the MHRT team, this kind of use of a racing simulation has never been done before at this level of race car design. With a budget under 10 000 $ and without enough time to test drive the car before the competition, alternative ways of simulating powertrains are gold. It can not only prevent dramatic failures of the electric motors, but also optimized the performance by knowing the safe margin of use. This way, the car will run in the 90% + of its capabilities. Previous ways of simulating and testing the powertrain could only permit conservative use of power because the team could never afford replacing expensive electric motors cositng around 1000$ each.

XMR could go a step further by simulating the whole hybrid powertrain and would this way allow to know at a given ambiant temperature how the electric motors would cool down and how much more power could be given to them. The possibilities are immense and the tought of such a simulation extremly interesting for whoever is into using driving simulations to design and tune race cars.

After the past months developping the MHRT car into XMR, I can only say bravo and thank you to Eugene Cojocar, who took a lot of his time to answer our demands and make this project a reality. The Formula Hybrid competition will be held in May. Until then, we hope to make a better use of XMR with the new release coming soon and the Matlab/Simulink simulations data available at that point.

www.formula-hybrid.org

formulahybrid.mcgill.ca/

We're still waiting motion code for D-Box.
But anyone could try pre-release demo version 1.12.

Click here to download

Changes from 1.11 to 1.12:

* Added a QUICK PHYSICS tool that allows to tweak:
-steering system
-camber/toe angles
-brakes torques/balance
-suspension properties like stiffness, anti-roll, bump/rebound damping
-transmission
-tire properties
* Added Traction Control and Stability Control Program.
* Added McGill Formula Hybrid vehicle
* Added support for D-BOX motion platform
* Improved tire model like characteristic of the lateral velocity and temperature
* Added three tracks
* FF code changed
* HDR available for demo version
* Vehicle Physics tweaking

Attachments

• rd_xmr1.jpg
    rd_xmr1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 247
  • rd_xmr2.jpg
    rd_xmr2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Barbapoil

Thanks.

Albert is now testing the drive cycles in Matlab and the most recent "temperature" model his colleague gave him. They should have some interesting results soon and I will keep you updated.

As you know, the 1.12 is now out and you can drive the MHRT car. Nothing really fantastic as it is an underpowered hybrid car.The suspension could be tweaked and you can add some extra component to it, but the way we tested it, we stayed as close as possible to the real thing.

Thanks Bram,

Demo was updated a bit.
Some languages mistakes were fixed and the damage model is available for demo.
Damage model up to level “MEDIUM” that means visual deformation something like on picture below

Attachments

• rd_xmr3.jpg
    rd_xmr3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Barbapoil

Some more development with the data aquired with the testing. Albert says that one of the powertrain configuration looks really promising and it keeps the electric motors cool enough to boost the current a bit with no risk of overheating. Next step is to select an average lap time (drive cycle) and rerun all 24 drivetrain to see their effects on current and heat. Apparently, electric motors are subject to heat when their speed are lower, increasing the current, thus the heat. The importance is then to balance the ratio to accomodate slow and fast corners to prevent such heat rise. At the moment he is very pleased with the results and think these tests will have a significant impact on the car performance. We think its quite incredible that from january, when no such simulation testing where planned, till now, how valuable this work has been.

Well worthed efforts from the part of the MHRT and the XMR developpers so far. Now we only have to wish the car will win for a third year in a row. Witch would be a spectacular achievement considering the budget and expertise of some other teams in the competition.

Stay tuned for more infos on the project.

i've g25 racing wheel but i don't feel any effect.

acceleration is strange. Has no effect until it reaches the engine rpm with the gear.

The Matrox triple head two go is not supported in the demo? Or even in the full version?

Thanks!!

.... and however, the simulator is very interesting! Beautiful work!

Best!

Do you mean FF acceleration effects on G25 or something else?

Unfortunately the Matrox triple head is not supported yet.

I can't get G25 here to test its FF correctly.
I will try to get G25 and fix it.

Do you mean FF acceleration effects on G25 or something else?

Unfortunately the Matrox triple head is not supported yet.

I can't get G25 here to test its FF correctly.
I will try to get G25 and fix it.

Thanks for answer!
... and i mean effects of acceleration and effects due to the curbs and reduction of force by the speed.

damage's system and weather will be implemented?
:)

Acceleration, curbs effects aren’t implemented yet.
Reduction of force is implemented but it must be too light.

Damage system is visual only/suspesnion/wheel. I will work on damage system to implement mechanical damages like transmission, tires etc.
I can’t say regarding weather now. I didn’t think about it yet.

Hi,

I was curious about your work. I gave the demo a try, but those 30 minutes are too short to tweak those settings.
The first impression on that Boxter was that its hind slides awfully easily. Even at 40-50 kph it's extremely difficult to keep it on the road (I'm usig the G25).

Sorry I can't pay 50 $ after only those 30 min...
Anyway, congrats for the software, it seems very interesting...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 6.7%