Would you want a laserscanned version of Nordschleife?

Apparently there's already a laser scanned Nordschleife on rFactor Pro and here's the statement from rF Pro website:

"A large library of Low-Def and photo-realistic High-Def circuit models built from accurate LiDAR surveys is available. LiDAR based track databases include most of the F1 circuits, North American Indy & NASCAR circuits as well as La Sarthe, Nordschleife and a Vehicle Dynamics proving ground with lane-changes, split Mu and low-Mu surfaces, a handling circuit with inclines and programmable surfaces."

LIDAR are the ones who laserscan the Formula 1 tracks for F1.

It´s probably those guys that holds the laserscanning license of Nurburgring and Nordschleife.

Isn't LIDAR or LiDAR, the process itself (of laser-scanning) or to be more specific: Laser, Detection and Ranging. I think the license to the Nurburgring-Nordschleife is own by ADAC, the German Automobile CLub.

Isn't LIDAR or LiDAR, the process itself (of laser-scanning) or to be more specific: Laser, Detection and Ranging. I think the license to the Nurburgring-Nordschleife is own by ADAC, the German Automobile CLub.
One in the same, but 2 different acronyms

LIDAR = Light Detection And Ranging
LADAR = Laser Detection And Ranging (often used in military contexts)

Hmm i emailed Norschleife and i got this, pretty weird.

Hello Hampus,

Thank you for your message.

I just asked my colleagues and they told me that there are several companies concerning the laserscanning but they did not tell me a single name of one company so I can not tell you whether it is LIDAR.

Mind you this was before the LIDAR discussion.

Seems like it´s confidential.

Germany is well known for not having enough space for new housing developments :)

And Nordschleife is well known for it's very compact shape on a small area, very susceptible to selling and demolishing.
Actually I don't believe that..
Netherlands = 404 people/km²
Germany = 229 people/km²
Kowloon Walled City had 1,255,000/km2

Here in the Netherlands new housing developments are still being made.
Germany also has long parts of Autobahn without exits because there's nothing arounf there.. They have enough space elsewhere than the Nordschleife,..

That's good to hear, because I was being sarcastic there.

Oran Park was given as an example of a race track being demolished. It was sold and demolished to make room for houses, because there is little room there.
Since there is plenty of room in Germany, and Nordschleife is long and spread over a large area, which can't really be sold and demolished, the Oran Park situation was not relevant, so I used humour to point that fact out.

I think we should apply the same type of thinking for Nords as well because Germany is not run by Motorsport enthusiasts, they are run by politicians with other goals.
German politicians, or at least the current government of Rhineland-Palatinate indeed are not particularly fond of motorsport. However, Germans themselves are big car enthusiasts and therefore also like motorsport. F1 has become extremely popular since Schumacher entered the sport. Plus, interest groups like the ADAC but maybe even more so the car industry are very, very powerful and politicians do not like to go up against them. Sometimes, lobbyists area a good thing. Additionally, the Nordschleife is almost considered to be some kind of national heritage and Germans can get quite mad if old historic things they like get demolished :) Therefore, I think it's unlikely we will lose the Nordschleife any time soon.

Netherlands = 404 people/km²
Germany = 229 people/km²
Kowloon Walled City had 1,255,000/km2

Here in the Netherlands new housing developments are still being made.
Germany also has long parts of Autobahn without exits because there's nothing arounf there.. They have enough space elsewhere than the Nordschleife,..
That's good to hear, because I was being sarcastic there.

Oran Park was given as an example of a race track being demolished. It was sold and demolished to make room for houses, because there is little room there.
Since there is plenty of room in Germany, and Nordschleife is long and spread over a large area, which can't really be sold and demolished, the Oran Park situation was not relevant, so I used humour to point that fact out.
There is a lot of space in East Germany, but here in the West, there are many heavily populated areas. And the country is much more densely populated than France or Poland. My grandfather actually still thinks we should annex Poland to get more space :confused::roflmao: Additionally, Germans are very fond of green spaces so there is often considerable opposition to new developments in the countryside.

And to answer the original question: Hell yes! I so want to drive the old Lotus around this beast :geek:

They should do it, _and_ charge extra for it. Most people will buy it. Anything that keeps Kunos developing products is fine by me.

I'd like to say I think it will happen but I'm not convinced. Can dream though for sure.

There is a lot of space in East Germany, but here in the West, there are many heavily populated areas. And the country is much more densely populated than France or Poland. My grandfather actually still thinks we should annex Poland to get more space :confused::roflmao: Additionally, Germans are very fond of green spaces so there is often considerable opposition to new developments in the countryside.

And to answer the original question: Hell yes! I so want to drive the old Lotus around this beast :geek:
Along Autobahn 7 leading you along Ulm, Würzburg and Fulda is enough space. That motorway was the most boring I've ever driven. It was so boring that it was hard not to fall asleep. And ultimately you are in Kassel if you drive to the north, and along Kassel is the hardest to stay awake. Hannover is pretty ok and Hamburg is as well.. But really below Hannover until Ulm is enough space..

Just like the Dutch A7 between Afsluitdijk and Germany is pretty boring with grasslands everywhere. (except Groningen and Sneek)..

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.