Would You Recommend rfactor 2 ?

Hi Everyone,
I've played Project Cars, too buggy at the moment. Just getting in to RaceRoom, which I really enjoy. But what about rfactor2. I want to race online more, not necessarily leagues but a lot a various classes to get variety in the cars you drive.
Would you recommend rfactor2 as a sim and also the popularity of online racing.

+2 for sound. R3Es sound immerses me much more into the "car" then an extra reflection or high def bystander. That said I still maintain that graphics should not be so easily tossed aside, driving in cockpit view having nice crisp panels is important for both racing an immersion. I find it worth mentioning that these are on the weaker side when it comes to rf2.

I'm not a great expert in sim racing, but after exploring the different games (and whether they would run on my pc) I choose Rf2 and the demo just confirmed my thought. One year later I've not yet regretted buying it. The graphics could be better, but my graphics cards is bad, so it wouldn't matter anyway.
The changing weather, day/night, realroad, the good possibilities for modding...all way better than the competition.

I have tried the demo again and I really dislike it. FFB is not good and the graphics are really bad. So when some people here say that the demo does not represent the game well, could you elaborate? I absolutely love R3E and Dirt Rally (especcially the FFB) but never been happy with AC FFB or PC handling. So for those who tried all these, do you think I will like rF2?

It might not be clear, I am talking about the demo here, I haven't tried the full game.
I have a GTX970, FX8150 and 20GBs or ram so I was able to push the graphics to the max but Silverstone was still utterly ugly.
I did not bother digging into the FFB settings, my (limited) experience is that there are games where I like the FFB (R3E, Dirt Rally) and others where I dislike it (including Assetto and actually Automobilista). At this point, changing the settings might change the situation slightly but not to the point where I am happy with the FFB if I disliked it before.
Then again, people seem to love RF2 so I am curious to figure out if the demo is terrible or if it is just not my thing.. I ll probably buy it if it goes on sales this weekend and get re-imbursed if I am not happy.

Silverstone is indeed not the best track.
It's to clean. The real road helps to get more fidelity on the race surface.

Silverstone was released in 2013 and received a few updates.
AC, Project cars weren't released then. It was the best there was if you had the hardware to run it.

But never the less it's a demo. It should be a test if it works properly on your systems, screen setups, motions seats, plugins,... Whatever you have...

FFB: There are not that much options to tweak in game. Car setup and real road has a big influence on the FFB.

It might not be clear, I am talking about the demo here, I haven't tried the full game.
I have a GTX970, FX8150 and 20GBs or ram so I was able to push the graphics to the max but Silverstone was still utterly ugly.

Understood. FYI, the demo and the full game are the same, only the demo is locked down for adding cars/tracks.

GTX970 is fine. Silverstone should look the same on your system as this screenshot http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/woodcote.jpg provided you set similar time of day and are using HDR. If it doesn't look like that, then your settings are not right.

I asked about the wheel because it's likely you are letting the FFB clip and that makes it feel bad. G25/G27/G29 are going to feel weak when properly set up. The belt drive wheels (Thrustmaster & Fanatec) will be fine for strength provided they're not clipping. Use little to no spring & damper in the wheel's control panel.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I've played Project Cars, too buggy at the moment. Just getting in to RaceRoom, which I really enjoy. But what about rfactor2. I want to race online more, not necessarily leagues but a lot a various classes to get variety in the cars you drive.

Lack of servers and people racing online racing is really the biggest downside of rf2 imho. Comparably few people race online. It's hard to just hop in and pick something you like due to the few public or locked servers or odd versions of mods/tracks.

It might depend on which time zone you are in also of course!.

But try the demo, it's free.

Hi Everyone,

Yes I would

• Deleted member 130869

For part 1, you must try the demo. Regardless of what anyone tells you. There's also the content you wish to drive, for it might or might not be available or simulated. Check the rF2 downloads page and the release date for each. Also, you must judge and want the game for what is has to offer now, do not base yourself on future expectations or promises.

For the popularity of online racing, unless you have an established league going, I'd highly recommend browsing the servers via the matchmaker page, to have an idea of what cars and tracks are usually run, and how well supported they are. Otherwise you may be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back