World Rally RX Looking For All Electric Move in 2020?

I don't want to give my wheel to any AI under any circumstances
Think of it as riding on your own personal bus that follows the route you pick - not the bus company.
You don't have an issue being driven around in a bus/taxi/train I guess?
I love driving but there are so many a**holes on the road that can't or won't drive properly. Things will simply be safer and quicker with autonomous vehicles. There will still be tracks for humans to let loose :)

I know it's continuing the off topic (apologies) but has anyone thought about what happens when an Ai car is involved in an accident? I for one would NOT want MY insurance to pay out as I wouldn't not have been in control of the car at that time. And I cannot foresee ANY ai that could predict EVERYTHING that possibly happen and thus be able to avoid an incident. Not only that on the Guy Martin show about Ai they ran the scenario's of when an ai or driver has to make a decision to hit and likely kill one human to save others (i.e. kill and adult to save children, kill a dog to save a human. etc etc. Ai driving could get VERY messy in a legal sense IMO.

well, in testing the AI has been so far better than humans, it certainly makes you feel ashamed as a species :) The mileage without incident is dumbfounding. I for one, tend to overlook stuff or make some such mistake, and the thought of maybe actually hitting a child one day is one of the scariest in my part of the universe (had a four year old jump out between parked cars some years back, I actually credit online racing with the reflex I showed that afternoon, (and sticking to speed limit certainly helped) distance between my Mazda's bumper and her tummy approx. a foot when I finally stalled. bless the brake assist!)

Last edited:
well, in testing the AI has been so far better than humans, it certainly makes you feel ashamed as a species :) The mileage without incident is dumbfounding. I for one, tend to overlook stuff or make some such mistake, and the thought of maybe actually hitting a child one day is one of the scariest in my part of the universe (had a four year old jump out between parked cars some years back, I actually credit online racing with the reflex I showed that afternoon, (and sticking to speed limit certainly helped) distance between my Mazda's bumper and her tummy approx. a foot when I finally stalled. bless the brake assist!)

I realise Ai will in many ways out perform a human as it can't be distracted/bored/not concentrating etc. But I don't think we should all think Ai will be flawless and never make an error (through coding/component failure), thing is as I said who is responsible for that when it happens, will we all still need to bother with insurance (I for one will refuse to pay it if I'm not in control)?

Also in the scenario you described (scary!), what if a 4 year old does that and the only possible avoidance the Ai could do was to hit an older child? Or crash the car in such a way the passengers get badly injured? This is an ethical minefield IMO, and the Ai and thus the manufacturer will be held responsible?

This is nothing whatsoever to do with the FIA.

This is the work of IMG the people who own and bought the rights to promote all forms of FIA rallycross in the world.

They cacked themselves last year because all their manufacturers deserted them, Ford, Citroen, and a few teams jumped aswell. VW dominated the series, it was awful to watch. Adn their hero Solberg got trounced by a guy no-one had heard of, hilarious.

Like so many groups, they are obsessed with manufacturers, something rallycross has never and will never need.

Annoyingly, rallycross is perfectly suited to electric cars, short races. But as a spectator sport it will be destroyed as a live event.

It has been anyway in my eyes since it became WRX, you lot jumped on it as it was promoted better, had lots of passing, it's been like that for decades, just off the radar. Was simply promoted better with IMG involved, but they ahve taken away so much and replaced it with car park tracks in places with no rallycross history and totally ruined the sport.

standardised monocoque
availability of core parts
private teams will have the opportunity to buy equipment
standardised parts

As an old school kinda guy ... yeah, I guess I have to admit to a certain prejudice against electrics. Sound isn't all of the problem ... I'm more than half deaf (no b.s.) and too damncheap to buy hearing aids. Maybe I just miss the smell of burning fuel. The truth about electrics is that they are ALL about torque ... and all racers know that TORQUE WINS RACES. So that's gotta be good for something.

But as I read @Paul Jeffrey 's post, all I keep seeing are the words "standardized" and "core parts" over and over.

Is this gonna be just another spec series, covered over with a thin layer of carbon fibre, and a handful of organizers getting rich selling the standardized bits?

No thanks. I think I'd rather watch the bomber class down at the nearest dirt oval.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back