Windows 11 Upgrade?

Have you upgraded your PC to Windows 11?

• Yes

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 74 64.3%

• Total voters
1678232967663.png

I've come to the conclusion that ( in my case ) windows 11 isnt ready for prime time. Especially if you use VR. This is my 3rd and last time " upgrading" to windows 11. Every time I upgrade i get some deal breaking issue that forces me to go back to windows 10. This time my WMR just stopped working out of nowhere. tried everything including uninstalling and reinstalling. And while reinstalling it just wouldnt download past 60%. For me, no VR is a complete deal breaker. And there was still a bunch of little issues plaguing win 11. to the point where almost every time i started my PC there was some little annoying issue that i had to deal with before i could use my PC. Theres no way im "upgrading" again unless i am absolutely forced to. And i didnt even mention the terrible start menu.

• Deleted member 197115

I had that stop on download bug with Win10 or was it Win8, don't remember, essentially my very first installation of WMR, not on Win11 though.
I'll try to find out what was the fix.

EDIT: In my case it was camera security settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without starting any war or something then I dont understand the urge to "upgrade" to Win11.
The difference between Win10 and Win11 is just a number.
And accept all the fuss just for a single number is....:rolleyes:

BæTheWay: No I will not tell which incarnation of Windows Im running - only that its not Win98 :roflmao:

Last edited:
I had that stop on download bug with Win10 or was it Win8, don't remember, essentially my very first installation of WMR, not on Win11 though.
I'll try to find out what was the fix.
I spent a few days looking for solutions. I tried all the ones I found. nothing worked. I even tried switching my Windows to the insider preview to see if that would help. Honeslty the minor cosmetic changes to Windows 11 isnt worth the hassle to me. I didnt gain any performance or anything. I use this PC primarily for gaming. And thats the one thing that was impacted negatively for me.

Without starting any war or something then I dont understand the urge to "upgrade" to Win11.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: No I will not tell which incarnation of Windows Im running - only that its not Win98 :roflmao:
naturally i always want the latest and greatest. Thats just me in general with everything. I love to tinker. Its just not working out this time.

I'm still running Win 10 on my development computer and my laptop. I upgraded my gaming computer to Win 11 just to touch it and force myself to seeing what changed and get comfortable with it before I upgrade my more critical systems.

I'm not a fan of churn for no reason, but I will have to upgrade my computers to Win11 at some point because of the work I do.

• Deleted member 197115

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: No I will not tell which incarnation of Windows Im running - only that its not Win98 :roflmao:
Neither is better or worse. Performance is about the same, user experience is almost the same, like you said, just a number.

Win7.jpg

I just saw this - and I admit I thought it was some fake "fact".

"Keeping track of which programs open your files in Windows 11 can be a bit of a challenge.
There are a massive ammount of file types associated with many different programs, and you can choose which program should open e.g. your pictures, videos or other formats by default.
The problem in Windows 11 is that the system resets these settings every now and then and changes your computer's default programs without your consent.
And then we must once again adjust the settings and choose in which programs to open the PC's files.
The problem has been a major nuisance for users of Windows 11 since the operating system's release, but now it finally looks like Microsoft is doing something about it.
Microsoft itself writes in a blog post that they promise to change it so that standard programs are not changed without your approval."

Last edited:
FWIW, I have a Raspberry Pi 4 Linux based music server running Volumio at home and set up my first Linux system as an FTP server... damn that was a long time ago I'm not going to timestamp that.

Last edited:
You say " upgrade" Does this mean you overwrote existing OS ?

I would strongly recommend against this as best way to introduce bugs.

Download W11 media tool and do a fresh drive.

Delete the 4 x W10 partitions for C drive and click "NEXT"
Back to W10 do the same.

I think the main problem with upgrading OSes is people don't do proper backups.
You should be able to install either OS including all drivers, apps, shortcuts, registry
exactly how you have it in under a hour easy.

Last edited:
Not claiming it's the best way, but...

My gaming computer was originally installed as Windows 8.
Then I upgraded it to Windows 8.5,
Then I upgraded it to Windows 10.
Then I upgraded the boot partition so it didn't require a legacy boot flag at the bios level.
Then I upgraded to Windows 11.

I do have complete boot system backups on a 4Tb external drive.
I also used backups from smaller drives that I restored to larger drives then to larger SSD's.

I guess I've avoided the whole reinstallation process when at all possible.

Meanwhile that computer went from an i5-5th gen to i9-9th gen to i9-12th gen to i9-13th gen and original Maxwell based Titan -> 1080Ti -> 2080Ti -> 4090

If/when I become forced to "upgrade" to Win10 or 11 the decision of install mode is pretty easy.
Because since Im still running my orig 2010 (!) install of Win7 Ulti on an old Asus P6T Deluxe V2 I have to build a complete new PC.

BæTheWay: Its so long ago I did build my latest PC that I cannot remember how I did it :sleep:

Last edited:
I've avoided the whole reinstallation process when at all possible
Having done both multiple times on the same (multiple boot) PC,
fresh installs runs faster than upgrades.
Also having used Linux since early 90s (Slackware),
I tired of support breakage for older hardware even in LTS (long term support) releases
and arbitrary incompatibilities among distros.

Its so long ago I did build my latest PC that I cannot remember how I did it
Probably for the best; modern PC components are substantially changed (not always better).

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 49 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 12 2.3%