Windows 11 Upgrade?

Have you upgraded your PC to Windows 11?

• Yes

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 74 64.3%

• Total voters
Looks like I need to run this program to convert my sad old format boot drive that requires I boot in "legacy" mode from my motherboard.

This boot drive started as Windows 7, updated to 8, then 8.5 then 10. Granted I've transferred the contents from a standard drive to newer SSD drives over the years. Just imagine all the crap it's accumulated!!!!

MBR2GPT /validate|convert [/disk:] [/logs:] [/map:=] [/allowFullOS]

The command line parameters are described as follows:

• /validate: Instructs MBR2GPT.exe to perform only the disk validation steps and report whether the disk is eligible for conversion.
  • /convert: Instructs MBR2GPT.exe to perform the disk validation and to proceed with the conversion if all validation tests pass.
  • /disk: Specifies the disk number of the disk to be converted to GPT. If not specified, the system disk is used. The mechanism used is the same as that used by the diskpart.exe tool SELECT DISK SYSTEM command.
  • /logs: Specifies the directory where MBR2GPT.exe logs should be written. If not specified, %windir% is used. If specified, the directory must already exist, it will not be automatically created or overwritten.
  • /map: Specifies additional partition type mappings between MBR and GPT. The MBR partition number is specified in decimal notation, not hexidecimal. The GPT GUID can contain brackets, for example: /map:42={af9b60a0-1431-4f62-bc68-3311714a69ad}. Multiple /map options can be specified if multiple mappings are required.
  • /allowFullOS: By default, MBR2GPT.exe is blocked unless it is run from Windows PE. This option overrides this block and enables disk conversion while running in the full Windows environment.

Last edited:
Fair enough :) I know I cheaped out myself and upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 rather than going for the clean install (and have regretted it more than once :whistling:).
Mine's been rock solid.

I had to install Windows 10 from scratch on my development system and I lost a pile of paid for software that is now subscription based, but life goes on.

I just built a new much higher powered PC using a clean install of Windows 11 only to discover that some peripheral makers (looking at you Logitech) have decided not to fix their drivers to support W-11. Given the stupid money that wheels and other peripherals are commanding these days, I am considering a rebuild using Windows 10.

I just built a new much higher powered PC using a clean install of Windows 11 only to discover that some peripheral makers (looking at you Logitech) have decided not to fix their drivers to support W-11. Given the stupid money that wheels and other peripherals are commanding these days, I am considering a rebuild using Windows 10.

Have you tried this?

I had performance issues after upgrading my Sim Rig PC to Windows 11.

On Windows 10, my setup ran flawlessly:
- 3 x 4k Monitors (G-Sync) @ 120Hz - Nvidia RTX 3090​
- 1 X 1080p Monitor @ 60Hz - Intel Motherboard​

After moving to Windows 11, "dwm.exe" (Desktop Windows Manager) usage blew out, causing reduced in game frame rates and stuttering. This occurred anytime I ran telemetry on the 4th monitor (e.g. Z1 Dashboard, Simhub), where the performance problem became worse the more telemetry was run on the 4th monitor.

The performance hit was improved if the telemetry was closed down on the 4th monitor, however dwm.exe usage was still a bit higher in Windows 11.

I temporarily switched my 4th monitor to the Nvidia GPU, but it consumed around 10% GPU (dwm.exe plus 4 instances of Z1 Dashboard), thus reducing in-game frame rates.

After multiple failed attempts to resolve it, last week I went back to Windows 10 and the 4th monitor on the Intel GPU is back to working great again.

I know there are gaming performance issues with Windows 11. Perhaps above is one of them.

I have to say my transition to Win 11 was super smooth!
I am one of the people who LOVED Windows 7 and hated to have to go to Windows 10 after a CPU+Mobo upgrade, which had no Win 7 compatible drivers anymore.

After getting used to it but still disliking it, I really didn't want to move to Win 11.
I upgraded my old Surface Pro 3 to a Surface Pro 8 during Prime Day though and that comes with Win 11 pre-installed.

Didn't really go smooth since you kinda need the Taskbar at the top with the Surface Pro. The folding keyboard covers too much of the taskbar to use it nicely with touch or the pen.
Win 11 killed the feature for whatever reason (really MS, WTF!).

But GitHub is your friend so a little install of "Explorer Patcher" later, my taskbar looked similar to Win 10, at the top with the icons in the center.

I really like to have the icons centered and I LOVE the focus mode with To-Do and Spotify integration that isn't available in Win 10.

The new context menu with cut/copy/paste as icons instead of the words was weird at first but works really well, I have to admit!

Performance is top notch, no issues.

I then replaced my 10600k with a 7600X during black Friday and thought I'd go dual boot with the old Win 10 still intact.
No issues yet whatsoever although I have both problematic updates (22H2 performance issues and KB5019980 / KB5021255 freezes issues).

Runs very smooth, better fps than when booting my old Win 10 and really nothing to complain about.

My only complain would be the new context menu that is on top of the Win 10 context menu.
But I guess that's just the follow-up to Win 10 having the Win 7 control panel and the new Win 10 control panel layered/side-by-side.

My new best friend is the context-menu-key left to the right-ctrl key. That key instantly opens the Win 10 context menu, NOT the Win 11 context menu, lol :roflmao::thumbsup:

Use WINAERO you can put what you like in right click/context menus, works for W11 too.
  • Context menus
    • Add handy context menus using a huge set of presets, e.g. to switch a Power Plan with one click, open a Command Prompt, add a Settings cascading menu - plenty of them.
    • Hide default entries from the context menu, e.g. Edit with Photos, Edit with Paint 3D, etc.
    • Add 'Run as Administrator' to VBS, MSI, CMD and BAT files.
    • Change the default app for the Edit context menu entry for images.

Doh link would be handy.

Also just for info winaero is total standalone after initial install so put it in tools folder ( off C:\drive )
You can save all tweaks to config file ( run that after you do fresh OS and windows updates ( I have 80 tweaks would take you a hour by hand )
winaero.jpg

Last edited:
What I really like is how clean you can make explorer look.
Nothing but partitions. ;)

Another handy one you see below it will merge all registry entries you save into 1 click install ( 60 entries me )

winaero explorer.jpg

Last edited:
Another "simple" thing I really like.
Notice my windows settings there is no phone heading. :coffee:
Winaero you can remove anything even individual headings not just sections.
Remove phone heading makes it even 3 x 4 lol ( OCD Bi-polar)

settings.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't really go smooth since you kinda need the Taskbar at the top with the Surface Pro. The folding keyboard covers too much of the taskbar to use it nicely with touch or the pen.
Win 11 killed the feature for whatever reason (really MS, WTF!).
Damn. I guess MS must have fallen out with the manufacturers of the Surface Pro... :roflmao:

Glad to hear there are plenty of workarounds for the crappy bits in W11, as I'm sure I'll end up using it when I finally upgrade my elderly PC.

• Deleted member 197115

Glad to hear there are plenty of workarounds for the crappy bits in W11, as I'm sure I'll end up using it when I finally upgrade my elderly PC.
Depends on how elderly, my old X99 build is not even compatible, as it requires that Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0, guess you can source one and install on MB, but they were very scarce and overpriced (thanks to scalpers) when I was checking last time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on how elderly, my old X99 build is not even compatible, as it requires that Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0, guess you can source one and install on MB, but they were very scarce and overpriced (thanks to scalpers) when I was checking last time.
Yeah I believe my mobo can have a hardware TPM added but the 7700K definitively rules out W11, despite not being all that old.
Honestly though I'm not bothered, and if I don't end up with an Intel 12th+ CPU (and use both P & E cores) then I may well contemplate staying on W10 anyway.

Damn. I guess MS must have fallen out with the manufacturers of the Surface Pro... :roflmao:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Well the Update part of the company doesn't seem to talk to the testing part of the company so both definitely don't talk to the hardware part of MS! :roflmao:

My Surface Pro 3 has some TPM module, but definitely not 2.0.
I used the "official regedit hack" from Microsoft but there are also ways if you don't have any TPM module at all.

• Deleted member 197115

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Well the Update part of the company doesn't seem to talk to the testing part of the company so both definitely don't talk to the hardware part of MS! :roflmao:

My Surface Pro 3 has some TPM module, but definitely not 2.0.
I used the "official regedit hack" from Microsoft but there are also ways if you don't have any TPM module at all.
I do not believe you can have it without TPM at all, couldn't find it, but may be I wasn't motivated enough to look too hard.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 45 8.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 12 2.4%