Willow Springs - Big Willow

Tracks Willow Springs - Big Willow 1.03 - Ai fix + No Balloons or Ferriswheel Layout

Login or Register an account to download this content

Tyrone - Nukedrop Mods

Tyrone Hesbrook
Premium
Tyrone submitted a new resource:

Willow Springs - Big Willow - The oldest permanent road course in the United States.

Please enjoy my recreation of Willow Springs!

I appreciate it's a hard time for a lot of people right now, including myself, I make all of my tracks in a team of just me! - so if you enjoy my track please consider a donation to https://www.paypal.me/hesbrook. Or click the image below. Thank you :)

View attachment 364164

Treat...

Read more about this resource...

Driving offroad right next to the paved track doesn't really feel like offroad until to go over the "seam" (see picture). Tires don't kick dust up and you can leave rubber skid marks on the sand. Is it supposed to be like that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_bo_caterham_165_lhd_willow_springs_18-4-120-20-2-37.jpg
    Screenshot_bo_caterham_165_lhd_willow_springs_18-4-120-20-2-37.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 209
Is Willow Springs really the oldest track in the US? I keep hearing this claim but I always believed Indianapolis was the first permanent track in the US. And I have another question. Can I get that Aston Martin Valkyrie shown in the screenshots or is a private mod?

Anyway, great track to have.

Amazing! thank you for this! So much fun after having seen so many laps from motor trend. Is it based on lidar?

A few notes:
  • Track mesh seems lacking detail/randomness, have you seeen this guide?
  • No replay cam - assume you are aware of that one!
  • Not sure if these tyre marks look good, this particular one has an issue where the wheels cross over each other:
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_willow_springs_18-4-120-19-1-0.jpg

edit:
maybe it would be better if the pit area started a little later, if you go wide on the final turn you can end up with the pit limiter automatically kicking in
there is a "seam" around the permiter of the track about 1m away from the track limit, particularly noticeable in VR, I think Jaasu was able to fix this on his tracks
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_willow_springs_18-4-120-20-5-55.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_willow_springs_18-4-120-20-13-48.jpg

edit2: AI line could probably be better too
edit3: can add the following to the CSP config file to control the horizon

[SOL]
HORIZON_OFFSET=1

Last edited:
Amazing! thank you for this! So much fun after having seen so many laps from motor trend. Is it based on lidar?

A few notes:
  • Track mesh seems lacking detail/randomness, have you seeen this guide?
  • No replay cam - assume you are aware of that one!
  • Not sure if these tyre marks look good, this particular one has an issue where the wheels cross over each other:
View attachment 364295

edit:
maybe it would be better if the pit area started a little later, if you go wide on the final turn you can end up with the pit limiter automatically kicking in
there is a "seam" around the permiter of the track about 1m away from the track limit, particularly noticeable in VR, I think Jaasu was able to fix this on his tracks
View attachment 364297
View attachment 364298

edit2: AI line could probably be better too
edit3: can add the following to the CSP config file to control the horizon

[SOL]
HORIZON_OFFSET=1

Hi, thanks for your help,

It was based on google height maps, then I made some tweaks by eye based on onboard lap videos and doing some laps in project cars so accuracy is going to be questionable at best :/

What would the "HORIZON_OFFSET=1" achieve?

Hi, thanks for your help,

It was based on google height maps, then I made some tweaks by eye based on onboard lap videos and doing some laps in project cars so accuracy is going to be questionable at best :/

What would the "HORIZON_OFFSET=1" achieve?

Fair enough, it is really immersive even if it's not lidar. Any thoughts on the bumpiness of the track? Unless it's been resurfaced recently, it looks pretty beat up in all the videos i've seen, both visually and in terms of bumpiness.

That setting shifts the sky to ensure consistent behaviour across tracks, without it you can see this harsh line on horizon from higher points of the track.

=0 (default):
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_willow_springs_18-4-120-20-53-21.jpg

=2:
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_willow_springs_18-4-120-20-53-36.jpg

Very nice, thank you, My only two "Negatives" have already been mentioned here.
No #7 Camera view and the very dark skid marks seem out of place.
Looking forward to the final version.

Thanks so much for this! I've just had a couple of races and as mentioned before about the pit lane starting where it does, I was pushed and also ran wide on the final corner, both times clipping the pit limiter. It would be cool if this was moved down a bit. Keep up the good work!

It's a shame proper data was not used to build this course. Public aerial lidar was published late last year for this area. Sadly this track does not match the data very well. The elevations aren't too bad but road width and the cambers are all wrong. Also last I remember Willow does not have saw tooth style curbs. They are red and white but they are just smooth ramped up curbs.

Right, so I've tried various races at the track and I found out that the AI runs a very defensive line, meaning the AI didn't have a fast line at all.....

Here are the points.
Yellow = points where AI taking a tight defensive line which can compromise their exit
Red = points where AI braked when it's not necessary at all
unknown.png

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the full release, along with the track map not properly "vectored" with this black box when using MapDisplay app....
unknown.png

Last edited:
The Shelby Cobra is an absolute blast to drive at this track! The AI could use some work, though. They are slowing down really badly near the highest point on the track way too much, and are braking too heavily in certain corners. Hope this video can help show that.

It is incredible track, thank you for making it. This track deserves as best build as possible, looking forward to try it. Lilski just said that LiDAR data is available, this is just massive news. I don't want to reduce this track before even trying it, perhaps it is great. But would you consider pushing the limits further and adopting LiDAR data as reference and altering the track, it would be quite a bit of work though ? If not then it is all right, we can enjoy this version as well, for a year or two, I guess, before the LiDAR version comes :)

Here is a RL video that increased my excitement about this track by 1000%, and I was very interested about it already.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%