Why doesn't any company make a single rally flappy paddle gear shift?

I know it would be a very specific peripheral, but there are several manufacturers that create specific and high end devices for sim racing, and I think there would be many users interested in it. Besides, it wouldn't be too hard nor expensive to make. The kind of peripheral I'm referring to is a single flappy paddle gear shift, which installs on the right of the steering wheel and that, unlike normal paddles, is fixed, much longer (following the contour of the wheel), and actuates on both directions (pull for gear up, and push for gear down). This kind of gear shift is very common in rally driving nowadays. It could have an adjustable desk clamp, so that you can use it with any model of steering wheel, simply by attaching it to your desk or cockpit's steering wheel tray and then adjust if exactly where you want in height and depth.

I have this project abandoned for the moment. I find the mechanical parts to be too weak. The friction between the screw with the plastic was not optimal. Maybe including a metallic piece where the screw rotates would make everything feel more sturdy and made to last and work for years like the first day. Apart from this, we found a printing problem on the lower part of the paddle. The 3D model looks right, but the problem arose when we tried printing it 3 times. We tried with 2 different programs (I cannot remember the names), which are supposed to slice the figure for the 3D printing. Finally, as I said before, I also found that the flex on the top of the paddle makes the gear change hard to make, even not working some times. Could you please provide the 3D models of the paddles, without the angle that connects them to the base? I need them to try to make my own idea (using an arcade digital joystick as the mechanism).

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

just stumbled over this thread and thought I might show you something.
A guy (Rallye driver from Austria) asked me to design a two way shifter like you did.
He tried with a original paddle from a Citroen DS3 R3 first but it didn't work because of size.

So I had a go.
I had to:
- use the buttons from the DS3 paddle
- it had to be adjustable in terms of the deflection of the paddle
- it had to be detachable from the "rig"

It hasn't become a simple part and it needed and would still need some refinement. But it worked quite well.
It wasn't very cheap (~ 400€ just print and rest of material).

The parts were 3D printed (SLS method).
Benefit is that the material actually is Polyamid. So with stainless steel axles you save bearings.

The buttons themselves are quite big as you see. But they are also quite strong. So, in my opinion, they felt quite good.

I won't upload any data but some pictures for (maybe/hopefully) inspiration might be good for you.
If I can manage it the next days I'll upload some vids to YouTube to share them with you.

If you have questions feel free to ask!

Cheers Daniel

Neutral.jpg
Runterschalten.jpg

Hochschalten.jpg

6.JPG
7.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Received! Very nice piece of hardware! I just wished the paddle had a curved shape, but maybe that's not easy with carbon fiber. By the way, the easiest way to remove the magnets is to use one of the other magnets provided (magnetic force!). I find it more comfortable with the thinner magnets. Also, since there's one milimiter in between the back plate and the microswitch button, you can add some layers of adhesive tape there which will make the shifter much less clicky and even quicker.

Upvote 0
I have finished installing the shifter on my TS PC Racer. I have 3D printed a small mounting bracket and a curved paddle (treated with epoxi resin, sanded and painted). To install everything in the exact position I have modified the plate that I already had for the mini-monitor (made of black alupanel), to have more surface, and then added a piece of painted MDF (as a spacer). It works like a charm, very firm. The curved paddle is more comfortable than the stock one. I have also reduced the clickiness of the mechanism adding some small pieces of vinyl where the microswitches contact.

leva-instalada1.jpg

leva-instalada2.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back