Why am I rubbish?

Kek700

Premium
I am just about passable at Assetto Corsa, bit rubbish, but ok, but Assetto Corsa Competizione I am totally rubbish.
Some 4 to 5 seconds off the pace at Imola.

Admittedly I don't practice much, but assumed it should be an easy jump from AC gt3 to ACC gt3.

I don't expect an obvious answer, nothing in life is that easy, but you never know.:O_o:

Now that I'm finally putting some hours in ACC I am discovering a few important things in car handling/setup that can make a difference. This week I learned Snetterton (my lap times started at about 1:50 and after 4-5 races against the AI my best was 1:46:9). I don't know if for you guys this is "easy" stuff but to me it really makes the difference between "driving around" and attacking the corners.

1. Trail braking: especially in medium speed corners, you can help the front of the car turn and go to the apex by braking a little during turn in. After a little practice you can feel the difference, you are just "pushing" the front of the car towards the apex in with the steering while helping it grip with the brakes. You can even use this to correct the line if you were a bit too wide. This gives you much more control over how the car is turning, you are not a passenger any more and you can finally attack the corners. This can bring quite a few tenths on the right track.
  2. Turning the car with the gas pedal on corner exit: this is really important, but you need to have the right level of traction control. I saw this in some alien lap videos and yes it works, at least on the Porsche I drive. Get the apex right so you minimize the angle of corner exit then floor the gas pedal a bit early, the rear will step out that little bit that makes the front point in the right direction and you'll exit the corner at full speed. This to me shows how TC can actually help your lap time and should be used wisely.
  3. Using a higher gear in low speed corners and chicanes, typically 2nd gear instead of 1st gear: you can test it in a few places at Snetterton, keep the car in 2nd gear and just floor the gas, the revs will seem to increase slowly but if you look at the time delta you'll see you're gaining time.
  4. Curing the high speed snap-oversteer in some cars: I found this video from Nils Naujoks where he explains that with the latest versions of ACC the preset setups may not work correctly and explains how to fix them. It worked perfectly on my Porsche which now doesn't want to kill me any more on high speed corners.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea