Why am I rubbish?

Kek700

Premium
I am just about passable at Assetto Corsa, bit rubbish, but ok, but Assetto Corsa Competizione I am totally rubbish.
Some 4 to 5 seconds off the pace at Imola.

Admittedly I don't practice much, but assumed it should be an easy jump from AC gt3 to ACC gt3.

I don't expect an obvious answer, nothing in life is that easy, but you never know.:O_o:

Which laptimes do you acknowledge as "the pace" at e.g. Imola?

For me the main difference regarding AC GT3 to ACC GT3 is the completely different tyre model.
The Pirelli tyres have a very small margin of optimal grip. If you overshoot the optimal grip window you begin to oversteer and lose lots of time. You hence have to be careful with corner entry speeds and steering input.
There might be other differences, but as soon as I understood the tyres everything was much easier from there...

What helped me understand the tyres even more was fine tuning my FFB so that I can feel more easily where the grip starts, builds, builds and then abruptly ends. The Ferrari was the most obvious regarding this physics/tyre model.

Aris has made a quite good video explaing this:

Last edited:
:)Don’t have much of a problem with oversteer, I like the fact that you can actually drift the car and obviously feel it through the FFB. So much to like, but just no pace.
Thank-you for that video @DrRob , it made it very clear that I am putting in too
much steering input in.
Will have another bash, trying to put the above video into practice.
Many many thanks for that help.

:)Don’t have much of a problem with oversteer, I like the fact that you can actually drift the car and obviously feel it through the FFB. So much to like, but just no pace.
Thank-you for that video @DrRob , it made it very clear that I am putting in too
much steering input in.
Will have another bash, trying to put the above video into practice.
Many many thanks for that help.
You're very welcome!

Drifting = slow. Simple as that in ACC. Drift through the corner due to under- or oversteer and you loose 3 tenth easily.

I like to always say that you have to feel and "ride" the grip. Like surfing really.
Sometimes, mostly in slow and medium speed corners, you can really feel you can put in another few degrees of steering input and can carve through the corner. Feels absolutely fantastic.

Also different cars require different driving styles. The McLaren 720S needs high corner entry speeds to make the most out of the good aero. you can really flick it into the corner after aggressive downshifts. Low power however so you need the speed you carry through the corners.
With the Porsche for example you have to be much slower on corner entry, trailbrake carefully und be on power as early as possible. Good corner exits possible with the Porker.

So maybe you also need to find the right car to best suit your driving style.

I was driving the 911.:)
It might be worth it starting with another car. Just get the hang of the game first with the Lexus, Aston Martin V8, Mercedes Evo or Bentley 2018. Really anything that's front engine. These cars are very stable and once you get the hang of one of them and you feel comfortable you could switch back to the Porsche. The Porsche is in the end a very rewarding car if you get it right.

I was driving the 911.:)
Ok, that explains some things. In my experience the 911 is the hardest one to master.

I'm trying currently and I am 1 sec slower than with my go-to car. In yesterday's community race on Zolder the car wanted me to kill me on every corner when being pushed. It is really difficult to gain some confidence with the Porsche (in my experience at least).
It snaps from under- to oversteer, changes front end behaviour with different fuel loads. I really struggle in fast corners e.g. Lucien Bianchibocht on Zolder, 130R on Suzuka or Signes on Paul Ricard.
So currently I am not fast and working like hell behind the wheel, but it is fun. :roflmao:

If you want to learn the tyre model (and be fast) I would start with the Mercedes, Lexus or Aston V8. Mid-engined I would recommend the Ferrari and the McLaren 720.

Last edited:
My assumption from your comments is that I am ok with the Porsche, because my pace is low, at Imola my best is 1min 46 with 60 litres of fuel and safe setup.
Will have a go today and see where I am at.

Tried today, best I managed in 911 was a 1-45-0.7, that's the absolute limit. I don't put much steering input in naturally, anyway.
Tried Bently, tried Mclaren, still the same lap times, slightly more competitive in the 911, if you can call that time competitive. :(
Confused.

My assumption from your comments is that I am ok with the Porsche, because my pace is low, at Imola my best is 1min 46 with 60 litres of fuel and safe setup.
Will have a go today and see where I am at.

Tried today, best I managed in 911 was a 1-45-0.7, that's the absolute limit. I don't put much steering input in naturally, anyway.
Tried Bently, tried Mclaren, still the same lap times, slightly more competitive in the 911, if you can call that time competitive. :(
Confused.
You can't just hop in a car, try them and be equally fast or faster. You really need to rack up hours in there to get the times. It's all about learning the car, track and the setup.

Pick a car you like, load the aggressive preset, pick a track (Nurb, Imola, Suzuka are good learning tracks), fill up the tank and empty it over and over again. Keep that going till everything feels like second nature and then try to go for fast times.

Last edited:
Well, if you're at the same pace with all of the cars, then you'd have to either stick with one car for longer time to see if you can squeeze some more out of her. Or you're not hitting the sweet spot at a few critical points on the track. Corner exits is where its at.
That said your time is not really bad! Especially if you can consistently do them.
Maybe try different lines, watch some fast laps from Nils Naujoks or Unlimited Drivers on YT.
Driver coaching could be an option. Not too familiar with MoTec stuff, but this could also help.

Well, if you're at the same pace with all of the cars, then you'd have to either stick with one car for longer time to see if you can squeeze some more out of her. Or you're not hitting the sweet spot at a few critical points on the track. Corner exits is where its at.
That said your time is not really bad! Especially if you can consistently do them.
Maybe try different lines, watch some fast laps from Nils Naujoks or Unlimited Drivers on YT.
Driver coaching could be an option. Not too familiar with MoTec stuff, but this could also help.
Our minds seem to be quite aligned :roflmao:

@Kek700
Try this video to learn a bit more about the cars and what might suit you:

I am just about passable at Assetto Corsa, bit rubbish, but ok, but Assetto Corsa Competizione I am totally rubbish.
Some 4 to 5 seconds off the pace at Imola.

Admittedly I don't practice much, but assumed it should be an easy jump from AC gt3 to ACC gt3.

I don't expect an obvious answer, nothing in life is that easy, but you never know.:O_o:

Just join a race with me in it, sounds like we're evenly matched (but I'm no quicker in the other sims). I can sometimes get within 2 seconds of the quick guys in the iRacing Skippy but that's about the best I manage.

Thanks for the offer Des, I am looking for a new online racing experience, have not the slightest wish to become a front runner, on line, or any line come to think of it.:O_o: But would like to have something approaching competitive pace. So at least I can race. :)

Thanks for the offer Des, I am looking for a new online racing experience, have not the slightest wish to become a front runner, on line, or any line come to think of it.:O_o: But would like to have something approaching competitive pace. So at least I can race. :)
If you want I can give you a academy session where we go over all the basics of becoming faster. Most importantly it’s fun ;-).

I'm in the same situation @Kek700 - I love ACC, but I'm terrible. I can't seem to find a league where I can at least be competitive...everyone seems like aliens compared to me. I'm comfortable with Bentley and Porsche (weird, I know) but never seem to have the feel everyone else has. Looking up setups, watching (a lot of) video, playing with the AI (I can race okay at 90)...nothing helps. I adore this sim and enjoy working at something hard, but I'm sort of at a loss.

I'm in the same situation @Kek700 - I love ACC, but I'm terrible. I can't seem to find a league where I can at least be competitive...everyone seems like aliens compared to me. I'm comfortable with Bentley and Porsche (weird, I know) but never seem to have the feel everyone else has. Looking up setups, watching (a lot of) video, playing with the AI (I can race okay at 90)...nothing helps. I adore this sim and enjoy working at something hard, but I'm sort of at a loss.
Have you approached ACCSS on SGP?
They have rookie splits. I think evaluation for Season 4 is on the way...
Rookie - ACC Sprint Series | RaceDepartment

I am not sure that it is about practice Des, 6 seconds of the pace at Imola is more than just practice.
The biggest reason is that I just do not understand exactly what I need to do, or what I am doing wrong. just bashing around the circuit trying to go faster, when I am at my limit already is not the answer.
There is not that much wrong with my basics as far as I can see, certainly not reflected in 6 seconds off the pace.
I’ll have to think hard about what to do, or give up, now that sounds like a sensible solution.:roflmao:

Had another go this evening, managed a 1-44-0.8 think I am sort of getting it, slowly, :O_o:

thought I would give my replay if anyone wants to give me some help,
the last few laps, it started to sink in, I think.:unsure:

trying to sort it ?

Last edited:
I am not sure that it is about practice Des, 6 seconds of the pace at Imola is more than just practice.
The biggest reason is that I just do not understand exactly what I need to do, or what I am doing wrong. just bashing around the circuit trying to go faster, when I am at my limit already is not the answer.
There is not that much wrong with my basics as far as I can see, certainly not reflected in 6 seconds off the pace.
I’ll have to think hard about what to do, or give up, now that sounds like a sensible solution.:roflmao:

Had another go this evening, managed a 1-44-0.8 think I am sort of getting it, slowly, :O_o:

thought I would give my replay if anyone wants to give me some help,
the last few laps, it started to sink in, I think.:unsure:

1.44 will still get you at the back of the midfield, top 5 usually 1:42 low is enough. 1:41 and lower you reach the really fast and alien times in a race.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.