Who Could Fill the Vacant Mercedes Cockpit?

+1 for Perez - he seems to be in the sweet spot. Reliable driver, will bring home gobs of points and podiums, but Hamilton should be able to outpace him to the point where there won't be any real championship drama.

That's a recipe for a happy garage - team gets their championship, Lewis gets his, Checo plays the amiable "just happy to be here" role.
Perez is faster faster than Rosberg on outright pace. So he could go to the cleaners with Hamilton some races.

I am reasonably sure nationality is factor as Mercedes has never not employed a german driver since its return to grand prix racing. Lets be honest it could have employed another experienced driver instead of schumi and rosberg also could be replaced but they chose two german drivers so I think it's certainly a factor.

I think that any dreams about Alonso or Vettel or any other top driver is just whishfull thinking, Mercedes struggled to handle Hamilton and Rosberg's "fights" which were not much more than nasty words and slight contacts (barring spain which was a genuine accident (on both parties)). I doubt they could, or would want to, handle Alonso and Hamilton if they thought Hamilton and Rosberg was a fiery pair.

And lastly there is the issue of building trust in their young drivers program. If they don't promote Pascal it would make younger drivers question whether that programme was for them when someone like Red Bull can offer a quicker route up the grid. Mercedes seem to be here for the long game. They signed up in preparation to win in the most expensive technical regulations to date so unless the rules change to purposely disadvantage them (see Michelin) then they are here to stay and the driver programme needs to grow from gras roots to Formula 1/Formula E and not promoting from within sends a clear message as to the belief in their young driver programme.

So on those points I would have to place Pascal at the top of the rankings
He is fast enough to win if Hamilton isn't available or score some solid points if the car isn't best next year. Granted he has only been in a Manor but these days the difference in car is not so big apart from the speed of it. Familiarity is negligible (See Max working the strengths and weaknesses of a car he recieved 7 days before and going on to beat a Ferrari) nowadays with all the simulator and trainer time they have access to in large teams. And Pascal is already familiar with how Mercedes operates anyway as their development/test driver.

Outside bet: Nico Hulkenburg for a better works drive than he is already signed for :p

Red Bull would let him go. They have the best young drivers program so they can easily replace him. Especially if he isn't part of their future plans
You are so wrong mate, RB wont let Sainz go. Renault wanted Sainz but they couldnt get him either. RB currently only has Gasly as a potential replacement but since they choose Kvyat, who's performance has been poor, over Gasly things arent looking great for him. Next in line who looks promising would be Richard Verschoor who is performing extremely well in F4 but is only 15yo and needs to work trough the higher feeder series first. Sergio Sette Camara and Niko Kari aint shaping up to be the talents they are looking for as well. And thats why they wont let Sainz go, if they think Gasly aint up for it is gonna take them some time for they have new drivers ready. There future plan with Sainz is to keep him till they have new drivers ready or promote him to RBR if VES or RIC leaves.

Last edited:
Pascal is playing F1 2016 Career in real life. He raced around in the Manor for awhile and now he will get the Silver Arrows.

• Deleted member 130869

Felipe Massa would be a very quick stop-gap assignment, they only need a driver to run for one season until they can pick better for 2018. Felipe has no contract anywhere and would surely not contest the team. On the downside, he officially retired and I don't see him coming back from it just 2 weeks after the season's end.

I don't see Mercedes spending any money to get F1 drivers out of their contract. There's that so-called exit clause Alonso has in his McLaren deal, and regardless of his PR speech he may switch, after all anything is possible with him as we've seen from 2007 and 2008 shady antics. I am now thinking they may poach a driver from another series for one season, such as Formula E. Frijns, Felix da Costa, Rosenqvist, or JEV could get a big Christmas present. Then maybe Nasr or Magnussen will get that call.

Completely out of the park, I'd like to see Andre Lotterer for one season.

What was Räikkönens palmares?
  • 1987-1990 : karting, winner in classes A, B et C as soons as 1988.
  • 1991 : karting national Mini.
  • 1992 : karting national Raket Junior.
  • 1993-1994 : karting national Raket class and Finland cup (9th 1993, 2nd 1994).
  • 1995 : karting Formule A (first race first win, 23 avril).
  • 1996 : karting GP Européan Séries. Races of Mondial and Nordic championship. 4th Formule A.
  • 1997 : Finland champion Classe A intercontinental, 4th in Nordic championship Classe A intercontinental, Karting Grand Prix and mondial championship.
  • 1998 : Finland champion and Nordic Champion in Formule A, champion European Karting Grand Prix, 2nd Intercontinental Formula Super A, 3e Monaco cup Super A, Mondial championship Formula Super A.
  • 1999 : 2nd Finland Formule A championship, 10th at mondial championship Super A, first race Formule Renault with Haywood Racing (3rd place), winter champion Formule Renault Winter Series, with Manor Motorsport (4 wins in 4 races).
  • 2000 : Champion britain Formule Renault with Manor Motorsport (7 wins, 6 poles, 7 best laps, with only 10 races).
  • 3 races European Formule Renault (2 wins, 2 poles, 2 best laps). Tests with Sauber at Mugello.
Then the formula one.
****************************************************Points Rank
2001 Red Bull Sauber Petronas C20 Petronas V10 Bridgestone 9 10
2002 West McLaren Mercedes MP4-17 Mercedes V10 Michelin 24 6
2003 West McLaren Mercedes MP4-17D Mercedes V10 Michelin 91 2
2004 West McLaren Mercedes MP4-19 Mercedes V10 Michelin 45 7
2005 Team McLaren Mercedes MP4-20 Mercedes V10 Michelin 112 2
2006 Team McLaren Mercedes MP4-21 Mercedes V8 Michelin 65 5
2007 Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro F2007 Ferrari V8 Bridgestone 2 110 Champion
2008 Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro F2008 Ferrari V8 Bridgestone 75 3
2009 Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro F60 Ferrari V8 Bridgestone 48 6
2012 Lotus F1 Team E20 Renault V8 Pirelli 207 3