Who Could Fill the Vacant Mercedes Cockpit?

Sainz is wasted at toro rosso and genuinely one of the best drivers on the grid in my opinion

This may be more likely than we think due to third party influences. I'm sure the Pierre Gasly camp wants him out of the way at STR since they were banking on the Kvyat seat... But this may be even better, because Gasly definitely has the raw talent to beat an experienced teammate in Kvyat and look that much more impressive. If I were them, I would be politicking real hard on that front.

What about Perez ? Better then Bottas imo and certainly capable of completing the 1-2 for them and winning some races as well. Then they could put Pascal at FI.

Strong rumours are coming out of the Vettel camp that Sebastian could be headed to Mercedes. Not sure I'd want to if I were him. Sure the Ferrari situation right now is not good, but he has a comfortable number one position within the team and a good relationship with Kimi.

If he goes to Mercedes, yes he'll have a better car, but he'll also have to learn all new systems, mechanics, procedures etc. Oh, not to mention he'll be facing a Lewis Hamilton who is more motivated than ever to take back the title, and who I think would utterly trash Vettel in a straight fight.

Would he want to risk his reputation against a Mercenary whom is out for blood, just to have a chance to drive for the Silver Arrows? It's certainly quite a dilemma.

To me it makes 0 sense Vettel leave Ferrari to Mercedes. No reason at all.
Because of a better car? With the regulations changes, there is absolutely no guarantee that this will be the case.

To me feels like a simple and pure speculation.

With the regulations changes, there is absolutely no guarantee that this will be the case.
Yes but it's not as if Mercedes will forget how to make a car aerodynamically effective. They've had by far the best chassis and aero since 2014. I know people like to say Red Bull have the best aero package currently, but this simply is not true. Red Bull are close, but they are not better than Mercedes.

Mercedes will undoubtedly have a championship winning car in 2017, and I'll be gobsmacked if Ferrari can get anywhere near them given all the staff shakeups, turmoil and general 'gun-to-the-head' style of leadership that Marchionne exhibits.

Having said that, despite the lure of moving to the best team, I can't see Seb moving from Ferrari for at least another few seasons, assuming things remain as they are with the team's performance.

If Ferrari dont manage to produce a competitive car to 2017, depending on who Mercedes chose for the seat, than Vettel is a strong candidate for 2018.

To me the logical hires would be: Perez or Bottas. I think Perez deserves more, and Force India have a more close connection with Mercedes (vide Ocon case).

Wehrlein? If Mercedes didnt chose him to go to Force India instead of Ocon, than I see no reason to Mercedes give him the main seat.
Wehrlein driving on the Force India together with Ocon would be a perfect oportunity to compare both drivers and see who deserves more.

Hi,

For the good looks, definitely Danica Patrick :)
You can´t be serious, Carmen Jordá is way hotter than Danica. Also, if Danica steps up into F1, we´re all done with the Pastor Maldonado jokes.:D:D
About the Mercedes available seat, I´d love to see Alonso there. If the new car is as demanding as expected, picking him is the smartest move. Besides Hamilton vs Alonso would be the best thing for F1.

Sure the Ferrari situation right now is not good, but he has a comfortable number one position within the team and a good relationship with Kimi.

So comfortable that he has lost a bit of pace. Putting him against Lewis would bring the best out of Vettel and really push him.

Oh, not to mention he'll be facing a Lewis Hamilton who is more motivated than ever to take back the title, and who I think would utterly trash Vettel in a straight fight.

Disagree. Vettel is a 4x world champion for a reason, I think he could do just as well as Hamilton.

To me it makes 0 sense Vettel leave Ferrari to Mercedes. No reason at all.
Because of a better car? With the regulations changes, there is absolutely no guarantee that this will be the case.

To me feels like a simple and pure speculation.

Ferrari are without James Allison, so I don't have a lot of faith that they will build a world championship winning car. Hell, McLaren could even leapfrog then
Pipo Derani.

*sighs* Too average, try again

I think Button is a likely choice. Yes he has lost his motivation a bit. But I think he would be happy to go up against Hamilton again. They have a good working relationship. He would also be able to get started quickly and could be able to at least give Hamilton a run for his money.

Option 1 (#1 and #2) I don't think is viable. Mercedes can't take that sort of risk in the constructors unless they are 100% they will be the most dominant team next season (Also it won't please Hamilton)

And if they don't want to follow option 3 (Big name drivers), means that it will be Ocon or Wherlein.

Option 1 (#1 and #2) I don't think is viable. Mercedes can't take that sort of risk in the constructors unless they are 100% they will be the most dominant team next season (Also it won't please Hamilton)

And if they don't want to follow option 3 (Big name drivers), means that it will be Ocon or Wherlein.
I wouldn't class Bottas as a big name driver.

Chances are it will be either Bottas or Wehrlein. Both have ties with Mercedes and both would provide a stable environment whilst still be strong and consistent drivers. Wehrlein is obviously a bit more of an unknown quantity, but his performances in the Manor have been very impressive.

Jorge Lorenzo from moto GP tested with mercedes a few weeks ago, he was only a few seconds of being a solid performer too, so that could be a wildcard signing, he's certainly not a big name driver in F1, although he did come 3rd in Moto GP this year...

Last edited:
Maybe they'll take a risk on a lesser driver - can always change drivers mid-season if it doesn't work out; used to happen a lot but is virtually unheard of now.
Werlein would get shown up in a merc seat i believe - too early for the driver.
And half of these GP2 drivers just don't cut it when they come to F1.

My quid bet is going on botass; seems like a relatively safe proposition.

He is not that very high profile, but still a very capable driver. And above all: not a pain-in-the-ass driver.
But is he up for the pressure though ? i think not. Remember when he admitted his performance got effected by rumours of Ferrari wanting to sign him in 2015.

I would pick Perez over Bottas and put Werhlein at FI.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 308 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 156 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%